Using Aircraft Paint Striper ?

-

tiltedsix

Reaction score
hello, 1972 Scamp original paint....:banghead: so im trying to use Rustoleum Aircraft paint striper and it doesn't want to bubble up like normal...light pre-sanded surface.....its coming off in small random spots but 2 inches to side of spots it won't effect it at all!......does any body know of stronger product

Cover the whole panel in the goop, get a sheet of plastic wrap and wrap the panel, lay it out in the sun, and let it bake.

Aircraft paint stripper is formulated to cause no corrosive damage to aluminum and magnesium alloys. Try an industrial paint stripper.

Yes, "stripper," LOL. Important distinction. A "striper" is something that makes, well "stripes" as in "pin stripes"

28908-1109-3ww-l.jpg

I believe they reformulated the aircraft stripper brand. I used to use it a lot back in the day and the stuff now works nowhere near as well.

ok, so I am not the only one who noticed that. Seems when I started working on cars that stuff worked awesome and now I have to go back and re-apply it multiple times to get it to work.

whatever you do, don't read the label.....its pretty scary. Its some scary stuff when you think of what it is capable of doing to you if you don't take health pre-cautions. I know my ovaries are shriveling up every time I use the stuff but I use a respirator and keep it off my skin.

I did notice its not as strong anymore. :protest:

Benco B15 Industrial Paint stripper. It even peels off powder coating with ease! There is hardly room on the bottle for all of the warning stickers however. AND, if you use it you do need to read them and heed the warnings.

My wife works in the New Zealand Airforce ( were here on a project buy some new helicopter) anyway her advise having been in and around our airforce for 28 years and done most things to do with aircraft ( was a monkey wrench for a few years) is that it will be most likely designed for aircraft paint which can be a lot different to automotive paint. And is bloody nasty on yah skin compared to normal stripper.

I use the stuff with methylene chloride in it. I've tried other stuff without it, and it just does not work. Also, sometimes epoxies are difficult, it will take repeated applications. You can reuse it, but the trick is to keep it wet. That's why someone said to cover it in plastic. Never tried it that way, was thinking that it would probably dissolve it. I always shake the can up before using it. SAFETY WARNING!!!!! ALWAYS USE A RAG ON TOP OF THE CAN BEFORE OPENING!!!! This stuff with the methylene chloride gasses off and builds up pressure, placing the rag on top just lowers the risk of anything coming out and splattering you. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES!! I have used these kinds of strippers a LOT in my previous job. Paint is paint, only difference is the resin that is used. There are only so many additives out there, main difference is the resin, some have better protection than others. This is what I use, it has methylene chloride in it. The other picture is me standing in front of an ANA 737 using a coating I worked on with the chemist. That's me on the right.

Attachments

• Paint Strripper.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 241
  • ANA 737 paint Renton Wa.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 205
i just went through the same process with jasco paint and epoxy stripper. the paint on top that i applied bubbled up and the original paint didnt. the original paint softens to the point you can just scrape it off in ribbons with a sharp putty knife or raiser blade.

MOST IMPORTANT keep the panel your stripping in the shade

I use the stuff with methylene chloride in it. I've tried other stuff without it, and it just does not work. Also, sometimes epoxies are difficult, it will take repeated applications. You can reuse it, but the trick is to keep it wet. That's why someone said to cover it in plastic. Never tried it that way, was thinking that it would probably dissolve it. I always shake the can up before using it. SAFETY WARNING!!!!! ALWAYS USE A RAG ON TOP OF THE CAN BEFORE OPENING!!!! This stuff with the methylene chloride gasses off and builds up pressure, placing the rag on top just lowers the risk of anything coming out and splattering you. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES!! I have used these kinds of strippers a LOT in my previous job. Paint is paint, only difference is the resin that is used. There are only so many additives out there, main difference is the resin, some have better protection than others. This is what I use, it has methylene chloride in it. The other picture is me standing in front of an ANA 737 using a coating I worked on with the chemist. That's me on the right.

X2 look at the ingredients MEK Chlorine is the good stuff.
It is nasty, hazardous, and will really mess you up.
I have a few gallons of the good stuff, but I store it in my out building instead of the garage.

Yeah, keep it wet! Why I try to get the stuff that is either a gel, anything but water thin. You want it to stay where you put it, and keep it thick. And the original paint is a lacquer, a different paint than epoxies or urethanes. My car also had original paint, and I ended up scraping and sanding a lot.

-
Back