Vacuum advance tube fitting fell out of carb! Advise?

-

Doug.S

1964 Dart More Door
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
Doing a general tune up, oil change, and tire rotate on my car this evening. 170 slant six with a Carter BBS. Checked the timing and when I disconnected the vacuum advance from the carb, I noticed the tube fitting felt loose. With a small amount of gentle persuasion I was able to pull it out with my fingers. Any recommendations on how to get that back in there, make it stay, and not leak vacuum?

Get some Seal All, paint a little on it and reinstall it and let it dry. O'Reilly carries Seal All.

Thank you for the reply’s, I’m going to use both recommendations a little seal all, and some gentle tapping. Couldn’t get by without this forum, I truly appreciate the help. Doug

Thank you for the reply’s, I’m going to use both recommendations a little seal all, and some gentle tapping. Couldn’t get by without this forum, I truly appreciate the help. Doug
Your welcome! BTW, that's an interesting choke setup that I've never seen. That isn't factory, is it?

Red loctite will work too or stud and bearing mount.

Heck even RTV will hold that. Use cleaner get it CLEAN, "goop" it up with a thin film and let' er sit a day. Do this with engine warm, if it will run

Your welcome! BTW, that's an interesting choke setup that I've never seen. That isn't factory, is it?
Good eye! Not a factory choke setup. I converted to electric choke when I replaced the exhaust manifold. Works great. I can get you the kit number and order info if you would like it.
Doug

Agree with a few replies, gently tap it in, a drop of Loctite if you think it's loose. I'm also VERY interested in that choke set up. Any chance of a few photos from other angles?

Agree with a few replies, gently tap it in, a drop of Loctite if you think it's loose. I'm also VERY interested in that choke set up. Any chance of a few photos from other angles?
I bought it at Mike’s Carburetor Parts out of Chehalis WA. They have a good website. 49.00 plus shipping. Wire it into any 12 volt supply that is turned off and on by the key. The little black box with the wires going into it is the temp sensor. The instructions want it on the rear most exhaust manifold bolt. I didn’t want to mess with that brass washer and special nut, so I bolted it to the head directly above the exhaust manifold. Used an existing bolt hole. Kicks the choke off only when the car is warm. Works perfect every time.
F6D4A805-BED1-45F3-9E14-51B59D685B37.jpeg
B4AA5482-896B-4098-B25A-ABD6CE424CB5.jpeg
2D3AD95E-B2C9-438C-87FD-9165A2CDB85C.jpeg
8859C9D4-3BF3-4610-8E36-455E4BE34EF4.jpeg
F0273706-7EBB-439A-BA68-A478014C8479.jpeg
721D3081-944B-4FE3-BAD9-E64C6976C438.jpeg
882AED10-842A-49BA-9B60-E52FA248B011.jpeg

Good eye! Not a factory choke setup. I converted to electric choke when I replaced the exhaust manifold. Works great. I can get you the kit number and order info if you would like it.
Doug
Thats very cool...good idea. Probably works better than the well choke they came with, and much easier to set...same procedure as setting an electric choke on a 4 barrel.

I bought it at Mike’s Carburetor Parts out of Chehalis WA. They have a good website. 49.00 plus shipping. Wire it into any 12 volt supply that is turned off and on by the key. The little black box with the wires going into it is the temp sensor. The instructions want it on the rear most exhaust manifold bolt. I didn’t want to mess with that brass washer and special nut, so I bolted it to the head directly above the exhaust manifold. Used an existing bolt hole. Kicks the choke off only when the car is warm. Works perfect every time. View attachment 1715260885 View attachment 1715260886 View attachment 1715260887 View attachment 1715260888 View attachment 1715260889 View attachment 1715260890 View attachment 1715260891

Hi Doug. That's fantastic, thanks for the information. I have bought stuff from Mike's Carburetors before, great bunch of people, and cheaper and easier than dealing with some of the so called carby experts here in Australia! Yours certainly looks a lot neater than what I'm trying to do to synchronise two chokes for a twin carby set up. By the way, what happens with the vacuum choke pull-off? Can you post an image of the other side of the carby? Unfortunately out of all those great photos, not one shows clearly how this will interract with the electric choke actuator! Hope you don't mind, I saved your images as a 'how to guide'... Cheers, Nigel

IMAG2365.jpg

-
Back