Vacuum gauge inside of your car?

-

adamfeber

Reaction score
I commonly find threads where members suggest issues that may be caused by a vacuum leak. Typically they talk about about hooking up a vacuum gauge from an auto parts store. I myself am fighting with an issue that may be from a vacuum leak and will be testing for loss of vacuum when put into gear.

I understand that it is easy to tune the car when it is up in the engine bay with you, but it seems like it would be also good to always keep on eye on vacuum to help diagnose problems. Do a lot of you run an aftermarket vacuum gauge in your car?

A vacuum gauge is a handy tool for some diagnostics, but I have one inside my '66 Dart to monitor how hard I'm loading the engine. I'd like to minimize fuel consumption and that gauge is the best way to do it while driving. This assumes that engine control systems are all in top operating condition and adjusted properly.

Try to keep the manifold vacuum higher than 10 inches Hg for best fuel economy.

Jerry

I had one in mine 39yrs ago.....lol. Gauges of all types are good, I love um'

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 351
I have the factory vacuum gauge in mine, called a Performance Indicator. I check it all the time.

I sometimes run a vacuum line through the firewall and then to a tuning vacuum gauge and then rest it on the shelf of my 68 dash to watch vacuum while I drive for tuning purposes.

Have a tach and vacuum gauge in the custom console of my '64 Valiant.

I can't imagine not having a good set of dash gauges.
Vacuum gauge is on the left where the steering wheel covers it in the pic. The one I especially love isn an Innovate LM-1 A/F in the center.

Attachments

• 100_0557.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 275
I have MAP, RPM, engine temp, intake air temp, AFR, ignition timing, TPS, and fuel pulse width. They are all part the my engine management system interface. I get lost trying to follow all of them. I find real-time chart recorder, and data logger help much in tuning.

The factory performance indicator ( vacuum gauge ) or any other mounted in the dash can indicate a problem has developed. It can also be the source of the problem it indicates. I've seen that a couple of times.
When under the hood tuning the engine the vacuum gauge and tachometer are much more useful under here where they can be seen.
If I had to choose only one... under the hood.

Top Right Corner, edge of the Silver Dash Bezel, in the pocket where a factory/optional Clock would be installed. Boost/Vac combo gauge (easiest way to find a Vac gauge).

Tach in the Instrument Cluster is an extremely rare factory Diesel Tach, have a vintage aftermarket tach installed in front of it for the Small Block. Have a Factory (8k) Gas Tach for the Cluster, but the needle is broken off and it's for a 4-Cylinder. If I could figure out how to safely remove the Needle from an Aftermarket Tach, I'd install it in the Factory Gas Tach Face/Housing and use that instead.

Gauge in the Left Corner of the factory Console "Gauge Pack" is a Voltmeter from a 1980's Dodge Caravan. My D50 originally had an Ammeter in that spot.

I love a vacuum gauge inside the car. I've got 'em in both of my Barracudas. I've also got one on my engine test stand. They provide too much info to miss out on. Of course a large one you can plug in under the hood is essential.

I only use them for diagnostics - so it's just taped to the windshield when I need to run one.

the diagnosis gauge from the parts store is a much better gauge, it is more accurate and follows each dip and flick, where as the autometer gauge is just smooth, and about 3-5" low

Attachments

• 0411130742.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 100_5263.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 232
-
Back