value of parts

-

moparraceman

Reaction score
trying to buy some parts from this guy, and dont know fair price to offer him, for him and me, maybe you guys could give me a price to go by ? thanks 340 motors 1968-1972 complete manifold to pan ? sb hp manifolds ? 83/4 pigs [center sections] posie ? fresh 360 short block ? 4 speed trans a body ? 1964 valient convertible 273 drive train needs some cosmetic work, seat need redone, ,new top ,brakes ,misc doees run, with title, thanks for any help

\

Last edited by a moderator:
340 complete cores are $1200-2500, 340 manifolds are selling for $600-850, 8-3/4 pigs really depend on case number, sure grip, and ratio, anywhere from $50-750. Fresh 360 short block $1000-2000. 4-speed trans depends on year and what they look like inside, $100-1000. Valiant could be $1000-5000. These are retail values, of course you need to determine what you would pay which should be 40-50% of retail...

The price of parts has gone through the roof. I always keep in mind that they are used parts. Mechanical parts, engines, transmissions and center chunks are not that rare and unless you drive the car you don’t know their true condition. You have to keep this all in mind when negotiating a price.

Last edited:
It sounds like some good parts. Easier for you to buy because you are close. Tougher to resell those parts because the buyers aren't close. Freight shipping on large heavy items it expensive and a pain. Offering X amount for the whole lot would be the best bet for getting your money's worth.

Just an FYI, there is no such animal as a 64 273 HP motor, that didn’t come out until 65. Check the front pad under the drivers side head. 64 would have no letter date stamp, 65 would have an “A” then the displacement, 66 would be “B”, and so on.

Definitely wouldn't be giving top dollar for individual parts, I would be trying to work on a package deal at a lower rate to clean up "his mess" all at once...

without a full inventory and an assessment as to the condition of parts anything is really a guess. like others have said, buying as a whole lot/package and the physical size and weight of the general pain in the assedness of dealing with big chonky parts has a lot going for the buyer in this instance.

i'd pull some comps from the classifieds here and put it to paper and see what the back of the barroom napkin math pencils out to and then make adjustments from there.

Just an FYI, there is no such animal as a 64 273 HP motor, that didn’t come out until 65. Check the front pad under the drivers side head. 64 would have no letter date stamp, 65 would have an “A” then the displacement, 66 would be “B”, and so on.
Fixed

Values depend on whether buying or selling, when I go to buy they're prices as they're gold but when I have anything to sell I can't get scrap price.

I reckon it depends too on what your intentions are. If you want to acquire these parts to flip for instance, you'll certainly want to pay absolute bottom dollar. On the other hand, if you want them to add to your stock or collection, then that makes things a bit different.

I've been getting while the getting is good and here lately I find myself with 3 tranny options for my truck... For instance, In buying a complete mid 60s /6 and 727 solely for the /6 to v8 trans adapter plate and having recently seen someone somewhere advertise a cable shifted 727 for around $300, I made mention somewhere else that I was interested in selling that trans once separated (god forbid not here) and having recently seen a cable 727 listed somewhere for sale as a core around $300,
I had gotten a PM there asking about said trans and how much.... I shot out a figure of $150. What was the reply? "If nobody else takes it 'my buddy ' will give$75"... I already quoted 1/2 of what the last one I saw listed and got offered 1/2 of what I threw out there. Dead nuts typical every damn time I offer something for sale.... I'm sick n tired of those results. I'm not rich, try to give someone a deal already to get more to put back in my project, and get lowballed even worse. Now if I were looking? Id have to pay the $300 for one... If others can get the money for their stuff I don't get why I can't....

-
Back