valve chatter 360 magnum

-
Oh, OK I'm not up on roller systems apparently. Anyway, I didn't build it.

Yes, I installed the inertial switch to lock the shoulder belts, it's in the center console.

Here's a long shot (regarding the pressure issue) but did you replace the oil pan with a high capacity pan and keep the stock length oil pickup? The reason I'm asking is I know someone who did this and had the exact oil pressure issue you describe.

Used magnum engines...
The bearings are garbage .
They literally fall apart.
Cam bearings , rod n main...

Any used magnum engine needs torn down and re bearing'd...

Used magnum engines...

Except his is a fresh build from "PIE" which, there reputation is quite poor from what I have seen.

OK, Tommy, here are some after pics. As you can see there are some later model parts, 2000 Sebring convertible seats, '68 plymouth marker lights (working turn signals for safety), 73-76 style K frame, front and rear sway bars, heavier leafs and torsion bars, 8.75 posi rearend. The bumpers were really straight, just needed rechroming. I put in new glass, rubber, polished all the trim, made the "ralleye" rims from 1985 7" cop car rims. I used a Belvedere rear view mirror as it wider than the Dart mirror. So many projects over the past ten years...

View attachment 1716281772

View attachment 1716281773

View attachment 1716281774

View attachment 1716281775

View attachment 1716281776

View attachment 1716281777

View attachment 1716281778

View attachment 1716281779

View attachment 1716281785
Well done!! Your car is beautiful!! :thumbsup:

Used magnum engines...

Not sure I’d say that as a general rule.
My Magnum had 96k on when I inspected it, and everything still looked like near new inside.

Oh, I think mine or 2000 seats, so yeah, I put the inertial switch in there. See: Chrysler Sebring convertible seats

I think fabricating mounts for the Dart was harder than for a Corvair, which has like a flat floor pan.

I probably have well over 125k on my Magnum.
With 5-20 oil it’s 60lbs at startup, 55lbs at full temp (190) running down the road at 55 and 35lbs at hot idle.

And there is still a little lifter ticking.
Just like you said, goes away or can’t hear it at rpm.
Just got used to it after years.

Not sure I’d say that as a general rule.
My Magnum had 96k on when I inspected it, and everything still looked like near new inside.

I probably have well over 125k on my Magnum.
With 5-20 oil it’s 60lbs at startup, 55lbs at full temp (190) running down the road at 55 and 35lbs at hot idle.

And there is still a little lifter ticking.
Just like you said, goes away or can’t hear it at rpm.
Just got used to it after years.
Yeah, maybe. Those engines are 15+ yrs discontinued though. Finding a low miles one these days ,only by luck of the transmission going bad or wreck... but then sitting through hot/ cold weather condensation... infrequent oil changes is another one... the oil from blowby becomes acidic. I think doing the bearings n seals is good move.

That is depressing, time slips by too fast! No wonder I feel so old. I still think of any car made after the 70s as being too new .
Whenever we go somewhere, people who wave at us don't even blip my radar if they're not on something older than 1985 or so. I don't even look. lol

Yeah, maybe. Those engines are 15+ yrs discontinued though. Finding a low miles one these days ,only by luck of the transmission going bad or wreck... but then sitting through hot/ cold weather condensation... infrequent oil changes is another one... the oil from blowby becomes acidic. I think doing the bearings n seals is good move.

Yea, I agree.
I’m sure I got lucky on my motor.
The bottom end was really clean, but you should have seen the heads.
Not only were they cracked between the valves, but the seats on the exhaust valves were not even round any longer.
I turned a couple of them 180 degrees and there was obvious daylight between them and the seats.
less than 100k on the motor and the heads were trash.

I wasn’t planning on using them anyway.

I agree. Got to at least check them out before installing a used engine. From what I have seen of cam bearings on even lower mileage magnums you are just asking for problems otherwise.

Those rollers are NOT going to like bouncing on the ramp. I would go thicker oil, bandaid? Yep. Other option, get bearing clearances right/find your pressure bleed.

-
Back