valve chatter 360 magnum

-
my hi volume oil pump netted 100psi when it was new. im on a stock rallye dash gage now so dont have numbers anymore. but the stock gage reads 3/4 now.

This is a Magnum engine,,,,,with hydraulic roller lifters .
The factory doesn’t recommend heavy weight oil with those .

In my opinion,,,,,the oil pressure is not correct .
An almost new engine,,,,with 25 pounds of pressure at 2500 r’s,,,,,nawww !

Tommy

This is a Magnum engine,,,,,with hydraulic roller lifters .
The factory doesn’t recommend heavy weight oil with those .

In my opinion,,,,,the oil pressure is not correct .
An almost new engine,,,,with 25 pounds of pressure at 2500 r’s,,,,,nawww !

Tommy

That’s because the factory didn’t send it out with loose clearances.

I’m not sure why so many are struggling with using a higher grade oil to get the pressure up.

If I ran 20w50 in my engine it would over ride the bypass and blow the filter off.

If the OP tried to run what I use (0w20) he might never see 30 psi where I will see 90 or a skosh more on cold start and I’m figuring a hot idle of 45 psi at 1k rpm.

That’s because the factory didn’t send it out with loose clearances.

I’m not sure why so many are struggling with using a higher grade oil to get the pressure up.

If I ran 20w50 in my engine it would over ride the bypass and blow the filter off.

If the OP tried to run what I use (0w20) he might never see 30 psi where I will see 90 or a skosh more on cold start and I’m figuring a hot idle of 45 psi at 1k rpm.

I’m not against using thicker oil,,,,,,the roller lifters don’t agree with it though .
The internal clearances in the lifters don’t like it .

My son used 10W40 for many maintenance free miles in his,,,,but never 20W50 .

If the pressure is truly that low,,,,there is an internal clearance issue somewhere in that engine .
Sounds like it has good power,,,,,just not good pressure .

Tommy

I’m not against using thicker oil,,,,,,the roller lifters don’t agree with it though .
The internal clearances in the lifters don’t like it .

My son used 10W40 for many maintenance free miles in his,,,,but never 20W50 .

If the pressure is truly that low,,,,there is an internal clearance issue somewhere in that engine .
Sounds like it has good power,,,,,just not good pressure .

Tommy

Yeah, I’ve read and heard about the thin oil only bullsquirt.

Back 20 years ago we were using a higher grade oil with HR lifters to get some kind of rpm out of them.

If I have to alter my bearing clearances to facilitate using a squishy lifter I’d opt to junk the lifters and just run a solid roller.

I don’t think he has a lifter problem,,,,,I think he has an internal problem,,,,or a bad gauge .
But,,,I don’t think it’s the gauge .

Evidence being of clatter at idle rpm,,,,,classic textbook example of low pressure .
And,,,,,low pressure around 2500 rpm,,,,another example of improper clearance somewhere inside .

When we fired my son’s new engine,,,,it was 75 at cold idle .
It was 45 at warm idle,,,,,,after the throttle was applied,,,,it was right back up there .
Runs at around 55 hot and at speed ,,,,,,really good engine so far .

I’m not trying to argue,,,,,just saying,,,,something is not right,,,,,roller lifters or not .

Tommy

I don’t think he has a lifter problem,,,,,I think he has an internal problem,,,,or a bad gauge .
But,,,I don’t think it’s the gauge .

Evidence being of clatter at idle rpm,,,,,classic textbook example of low pressure .
And,,,,,low pressure around 2500 rpm,,,,another example of improper clearance somewhere inside .

When we fired my son’s new engine,,,,it was 75 at cold idle .
It was 45 at warm idle,,,,,,after the throttle was applied,,,,it was right back up there .
Runs at around 55 hot and at speed ,,,,,,really good engine so far .

I’m not trying to argue,,,,,just saying,,,,something is not right,,,,,roller lifters or not .

Tommy

I’m agreeing. I’m just not sure it’s wrong as in wrong.

I’m saying IF the clearances are loose and maybe IF it has full groove mains it would just be the nature of how the engine is built that requires a heavy oil.

It’s certainly not how I do it but if you’ve been around this stuff very long you know getting guys to move forward when the technology is there is tough.

It’s the “I’ve always done it that way and it works fine for me” that are the worst at staying stuck in the past.

No problem of which I'm aware. I'm running it "as is", according to the builder's OK. Very happy with my SL6 to 360 Magnum swap. Thanks everyone for your valuable input. brian

1.jpg

Man,,,,,,that’s a good looking son of a gun !!!
Beautiful car,,,,and paint,,,,and body style !

I would like to see some more pictures of that machine .

Tommy

I am not going to say what is right or wrong on someone else's engine built by a 3rd party. I will say though that if I built a motor than only made 10lbs of oil pressure at idle I would for sure find out why. It may not be an issue now, but what happens a couple years down the road?

Man,,,,,,that’s a good looking son of a gun !!!
Beautiful car,,,,and paint,,,,and body style !

I would like to see some more pictures of that machine .

Tommy
Hi Tommy, yes I spent years building it up to this point. As you can imagine a lot of hard work. I'll post some more pics shortly. I'll see if I can find some before pics from when I first bought it 10 years ago.

Here are some "before" pics. Slant six, primer, 13" tires, interior was shot, but the sheet metal was all good, California car. The doors had some damage so I did swap those out for later doors.

195.JPG

143.JPG

141.JPG

142.JPG

144.JPG

OK, Tommy, here are some after pics. As you can see there are some later model parts, 2000 Sebring convertible seats, '68 plymouth marker lights (working turn signals for safety), 73-76 style K frame, front and rear sway bars, heavier leafs and torsion bars, 8.75 posi rearend. The bumpers were really straight, just needed rechroming. I put in new glass, rubber, polished all the trim, made the "ralleye" rims from 1985 7" cop car rims. I used a Belvedere rear view mirror as it wider than the Dart mirror. So many projects over the past ten years...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Oh mannn ,,,,,what a Honey !
That is a beautiful ride !

Nothing like good old sheet metal from out West,,,,,that was really a sound body to start !
California cars,,,,and I have a friend that bought one from Arizona,,,,it was almost totally perfect.
This was a 70 Challenger R/T SE ,,,,the only place was the inner fender apron where the battery sat .
The battery gases rusted the metal some ,,,but he had a brand new NOS one,,,,drilled the welds and put it in .
Like the Serv- Pro slogan ,,,,Just like it never happened,,,lol .

You did really good work on your Dart,,,,very impressive !
Man,,I love that color too,,,,really sets it all off !
And those late model seats,,,,,really cool.

Tommy

Yeah, the Sebring seats idea wasn't mine, someone did it in a convertible Corvair and posted instructions online. The hard part was fabricating the seat mounts. The color is "Viridian" used on Aston Martin's in the mid-2000's. It's a dichroic color, looks kelly green in the sun and teal in the shade. The original color was that dark green metallic, so I wanted a green metallic but one that pops.

Yeah,,,,it’s a real head turner for sure ,,,,I like that personalized license plate too !
Is it okay if I Message you ?

Tommy

Brian, what I've seen no one address about the lifters. There's a right way and wrong way to install stock style hydraulic lifters as stupid as it sounds. The oil holes in the lifters need to face the center of the intake valley. If they face the outside of the engine, they are pointing downhill and the oil can drain out of them once the engine is cut off. It can also affect how the lifters operate, believe it or not.

Yeah, the Sebring seats idea wasn't mine, someone did it in a convertible Corvair and posted instructions online. The hard part was fabricating the seat mounts. The color is "Viridian" used on Aston Martin's in the mid-2000's. It's a dichroic color, looks kelly green in the sun and teal in the shade. The original color was that dark green metallic, so I wanted a green metallic but one that pops.
Did you install the computer for the seat belts as well? Just FYI for others newer 2001 up Sebring convertible seats don't require a computer to lock the belts like 96-2000 models do.

Nice ride btw

-
Back