Valve Drop and Piston to Valve Clearance

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you even read the garbage you post? When they say “reasonably confident” and things like that anyone with the IQ of a box of hair can see it’s not accurate enough that you can slap something together and not check it.

I have done it when I changed from a hydr to solid lifter on the motor in the car. I was ASSURED it would ABSOLUTELY fit! I have trust issues, so I installed checker springs and a dial indicator on valve tip. Rotated the crank through a cycle stopping every 5 degs when the piston started to get closer to tdc. Push down on the valve tip to see what the tightest clearance was. They were right, there was PLENTY, but I could sleep easier checking. I would not approach the min. piston to valve clearance measuring this way. NOT precision, but worth it to me if I’m not pulling a head.

Isn't it funny how no matter how many times someone gets thrown off the forum under so many different names that they're same name calling inflammatory comments let you know exactly who they are....
Maybe next time they'll just string them all together.. "mad-yellow-rat"... :lol:..

Interesting article.
Thanks, I've been doing it for years. It comes in fairly handy some times when you want to go bigger, than the big stick you already have. LOL.
Obviously you do a final P/V check once you install the cam. I put all the valve gear on and check the P/V with a dial gauge. Depending on the engine, I may check all the cylinders.

Thanks, I've been doing it for years. It comes in fairly handy some times when you want to go bigger, than the big stick you already have. LOL.
Obviously you do a final P/V check once you install the cam. I put all the valve gear on and check the P/V with a dial gauge. Depending on the engine, I may check all the cylinders.
I read the article and I would only say to the home builder, what ever it drops, minus the suggested valve clearance plus some! Technically it leaves a bit on the table, but, most guys aren’t swinging for the fence when there doing a cam.

Isn't it funny how no matter how many times someone gets thrown off the forum under so many different names that they're same name calling inflammatory comments let you know exactly who they are....
Maybe next time they'll just string them all together.. "mad-yellow-rat"... :lol:..

Well... the worst thing is that you post something of interest, that people may not know about, and you have to deal with someone who carries on like that.
I post what I post, no one has to do or follow what I post. I think some people just have ego issues, If their not the ones posting it, then it's not worth posting..
I'm not even going to reply to him.

I have done it when I changed from a hydr to solid lifter on the motor in the car. I was ASSURED it would ABSOLUTELY fit! I have trust issues, so I installed checker springs and a dial indicator on valve tip. Rotated the crank through a cycle stopping every 5 degs when the piston started to get closer to tdc. Push down on the valve tip to see what the tightest clearance was. They were right, there was PLENTY, but I could sleep easier checking. I would not approach the min. piston to valve clearance measuring this way. NOT precision, but worth it to me if I’m not pulling a head.
With a dial indicator it is pretty precise. That's a lot more accurate than using a handful of clay.

I read the article and I would only say to the home builder, what ever it drops, minus the suggested valve clearance plus some! Technically it leaves a bit on the table, but, most guys aren’t swinging for the fence when there doing a cam.
Yeah, I can tell you from experience, there is nothing worse than trying to work out just how big of a stick you can shove in an engine, especially when it's already got a pretty big one in there to start with.
I don't need to have a bunch of cams on the shelf that I payed for and couldn't fit into a customers engine without extra machine work ( that they don't want to pay for) LOL.

Well... the worst thing is that you post something of interest, that people may not know about, and you have to deal with someone who carries on like that.
I post what I post, no one has to do or follow what I post. I think some people just have ego issues, If their not the ones posting it, then it's not worth posting..
Well I apologize I haven't said anything along these lines about him in probably a year but I should learn not to unlock the ignored people there's a reason they are on ignore. I did it on my own thread today and we're talking about bicycles and and I noticed at the bottom of the page there was someone who had commented so I push the unignor as I really don't like to keep grudges or anything like that maybe they have something nice to say and want to participate but true to the word they were just saying some inflammatory crap and some kind of personal attack and like you I just ignored them...
They're out here just wearing their booger on their face and we can see it... But they go blissfully on as if it's not there...

The best thing to do. Just scroll on by.

With a dial indicator it is pretty precise. That's a lot more accurate than using a handful of clay.
LOL, clay and verniers, on a hot day, trying not to dent the clay with the verniers. I stopped doing that long ago.
I've got some plates that bolt to the rocker cover rails, which are good if you want to check more than one cylinder. Magnetic stand an a dial gauge.
I still use clay to check how Hemi pistons fit in the chamber, as well as some other things.

If you get a cam through a cam company using this method, they should tell you to check the P/V manually once you install the cam. I think most cam companies tell you that anyway when you purchase a performance cam.

I’m not sure why anyone would go through the process of building any engine and stab a cam in it on a guess. There are so many factors involved that can effect P to V clearance that any amount of math and “figuring” is a guess at best. Measuring is the ONLY way to KNOW how much room you have. And when someone asks me “what’s the biggest cam I can stick in _____ (Enter whatever engine you’d like)? I just shake my head. Now there is some relevance in knowing an appropriate clearance distance before picking a camshaft, but hopefully you picked a piston that makes that a little easier. As a general guideline if you have stock pistons you have no business installing a cam that’s even close to hitting. It’s a package.

I’m not sure why anyone would go through the process of building any engine and stab a cam in it on a guess.
Most people do.
Why do you think so many come here asking cam questions only to get 100 best guesses on what they should run from 100 members..
Using this service from a cam grinder can come in handy from time to time.
No one is saying , buy the cam and just stick it in. I don't want to have to keep repeating that.:rolleyes:
If I told you that I had an engine combo like yours and had excellent results with a cam of 274@50 and .700 lift, ( which I have :) ) would you just order it and stick it in...No you wouldn't, you'd check clearances on install.
And be a little annoyed if it didn't.. :)

when someone asks me “what’s the biggest cam I can stick in _____ (Enter whatever engine you’d like)? I just shake my head.

Why?
I don't.. I take the time to look at what they have and see if a bigger cam or even just a better cam may benefit the engine combo they have. I've had good results and some very happy customers by doing just that.

I've used that method for a basic check.
When you drop a valve at top dead center, you realize there's more clearance than one might think during the overlap period.

Why?
I don't.. I take the time to look at what they have and see if a bigger cam or even just a better cam may benefit the engine combo they have. I've had good results and some very happy customers by doing just that.
I shake my head because the biggest cam that will fit is almost always not the cam that is best for the engine and a lot of people don’t realize that.

Most people do.
Why do you think so many come here asking cam questions only to get 100 best guesses on what they should run from 100 members..
Using this service from a cam grinder can come in handy from time to time.
No one is saying , buy the cam and just stick it in. I don't want to have to keep repeating that.:rolleyes:
If I told you that I had an engine combo like yours and had excellent results with a cam of 274@50 and .700 lift, ( which I have :) ) would you just order it and stick it in...No you wouldn't, you'd check clearances on install.
And be a little annoyed if it didn't.. :)
You’re right you’re not saying that. But you are advocating sticking a cam in based on recommendations from someone who has never put hands on the engine in question. I’m just saying always measure.

When you start out a thread callin someone a ritalin sniffer, you really shouldn't expect serious answers. lol

When you start out a thread callin someone a ritalin sniffer, you really shouldn't expect serious answers. lol
I could have deleted that but I like to leave it up so members can see what people are really like. Make your own decisions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back