Valve spring Install woes...

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
ok so i got my new springs and retainer in! so im trying to keep from taking the head off i made i cool tool to remove the springs w/o removing the head...

bolts in place of the rocker shaft yadda yadda... anyways i built it so it would be flat when compressed all the way to it would be easy to remove/install the keepers...

well by doing so when i first start to compress the spring is pushes the top out and the retainer gets caught in the grooves in the valve... :banghead:

so i tried everything from an thin object between the retainer and valve so it could slide by and lightly tapping on the retainer with a rubber mallet... no go...

being i think my only option left is to pull the head im kinda done... i cant afford to do a head gasket and intake gasket again (about 100 bucks) and was planning on yanking the motor and doing some stuff after MATS, so i may just say screw MATS this year...

bummer is my dad hasn't seen or been in my car since he brought it home with the stock motor with 300K and 3 burnt valves and a cracked head... i wanted to give him a low 14 down the track......

so i dont know what to do... im already tight this month and i have a doc appt for my shoulder/elbow and have been sick all day... good ****...

Not sure what you mean... Can you take a few pics? This should not be an insurmountable problem...

here ya go...

and yes i know the welds on the tool are not pretty but i was in a hurry and figured i would have to remake it anyways...

Attachments

• 100_5050.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 344
  • 100_5051.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_5052.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 341
move the "fingers" that depress the spring retainer up so when it contacts the spring retainers it has even contact on the retainer. once you remove the keepers it wont matter if the spring moves off center

Might try a K-D hand compressed one.They hold 350 lb springs,no sweat.Check out the local toolbox,or NAPA stocks em.

move the "fingers" that depress the spring retainer up so when it contacts the spring retainers it has even contact on the retainer. once you remove the keepers it wont matter if the spring moves off center

well then i wont be able to get the keepers in...

Might try a K-D hand compressed one.They hold 350 lb springs,no sweat.Check out the local toolbox,or NAPA stocks em.

??

805,call Napa.Or if you are cheap,rent one from Autozone.It consists of a hand twisted spur knob.A spring preloads it.The cool part is,the levers on the sides are adjustable.You can body enlglish the spring/retainer combo without fear of losing the valve,check it out!

ok sounds like they have one so im gonna go get it... or at least see if its the right one...

I made one of those, to work; longer fingers, and raise the fingers from the shaft, come down on the center. Now, had to put air in the cylinder too.

I made one of those, to work; longer fingers, and raise the fingers from the shaft, come down on the center. Now, had to put air in the cylinder too.

yeai have air in the cyl... but what do you mean come down on center?

805,center over the valve stem.I tried what you did,this way is more labor intensive,but much safer.Consider it baptism by fire,old school style.

Considering the handheld one.Your swapping tool was based on a different installed height spring,and a smaller diameter spring.This is why it doesn't work now.Go handheld,much easier.

Dude PM me with your address, I'll send you my tool asap..

Get the fingers further out(longer), so they press on the center of the retainer,not next to the shaft. Raise them higher, compared to the shaft. And I rounded off the bottom of the fingers, took me 4 tries to get it right.

Wish I had pics, but sold it. Hard to explain without pics.

It's coming back to my old senile brain. Couldn't get the keepers out; not enough travel. So moved fingers forward, longer handle. Those springs have some pressure. To the young guns reading this; using air, piston needs to be TDC. You can't just put it there, the air will move it. You have to put breaker bar on crank, and strap it in place.

805,center over the valve stem.I tried what you did,this way is more labor intensive,but much safer.Consider it baptism by fire,old school style.

oh boy here we go!

Considering the handheld one.Your swapping tool was based on a different installed height spring,and a smaller diameter spring.This is why it doesn't work now.Go handheld,much easier.

i went out and got the hendheld one and its not tall enough for my springs... and no i cannot compress the spring enough to make it work

Dude PM me with your address, I'll send you my tool asap..

pm sent

Get the fingers further out(longer), so they press on the center of the retainer,not next to the shaft. Raise them higher, compared to the shaft. And I rounded off the bottom of the fingers, took me 4 tries to get it right.

Wish I had pics, but sold it. Hard to explain without pics.

yea its just a bummer i have to drive up to my bosses, change it, come back, etc...

It's coming back to my old senile brain. Couldn't get the keepers out; not enough travel. So moved fingers forward, longer handle. Those springs have some pressure. To the young guns reading this; using air, piston needs to be TDC. You can't just put it there, the air will move it. You have to put breaker bar on crank, and strap it in place.

ok i get what your saying... if i change the angle of the fingers it will run out of throw before i can get the keepers in/out...

and i just have the rocker shaft off and piston at BDC with the compressor on, all valves are closed so no issues

Your fingers are too short... If you see the available tools, they go up from the pivot point, then come down on the retainer. If you have $12 or so, go buy or rent the KD on the car spring compressor. If you cant afford it, cut off the "C", make an extension out and up, and then re-attach the C to it. The further out you go from the center of the pivot, the more "down" rather than "out" the tool will go when you rotate it on the pivot.

Your fingers are too short... If you see the available tools, they go up from the pivot point, then come down on the retainer. If you have $12 or so, go buy or rent the KD on the car spring compressor. If you cant afford it, cut off the "C", make an extension out and up, and then re-attach the C to it. The further out you go from the center of the pivot, the more "down" rather than "out" the tool will go when you rotate it on the pivot.

yea i was thinking of trying to make something with a bolt that comes starlight down... then has a opening for the valve and what not... but will see...

Yes, move the fingers further out from the rovker shaft, and weld them higher, compared to where they are now, on rocker shaft. I sometimes have a hard time explaining, I'm used to pointing at things.

Yes, move the fingers further out from the rocker shaft, and weld them higher, compared to where they are now, on rocker shaft. I sometimes have a hard time explaining, I'm used to pointing at things.

no worries i get what you mean...

Kid if you wanted easy,,, work on chevves !!!! Just kidding I'll call you this morning..

I've used that KD tool for decades. I only bought the nicer Comp one like five years ago and I still use the KD one more often...lol.

made my own tool and worked great!!

Attachments

• 100_5054.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_5055.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 100_5056.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 249
-
Back