Van power steering bracket issues

-
Non ac bracket has the idler up higher as others have said. This is a non ac bracket. I didn’t use powersteeing so this what I have. Late model hemi grooved pulley in place of idler. Works fine. Excuse the turbo and downpipe blocking the pic.

B8F9F495-952B-483A-9B34-BEA32B6D1947.jpeg

BC37580A-2D89-4FAF-84A5-CCAA1B759627.jpeg

Non ac bracket has the idler up higher as others have said. This is a non ac bracket. I didn’t use powersteeing so this what I have. Late model hemi grooved pulley in place of idler. Works fine. Excuse the turbo and downpipe blocking the pic.

View attachment 1715189157

View attachment 1715189158

So no power steering? So you must be running a super short belt, right? How long is that belt?

I actually have 3 of these non-AC brackets. One of which I have on a Magnum that is on the engine stand. I'm trying to figure out how long of a belt I need WITH the Van power steering bracket.

So no power steering? So you must be running a super short belt, right? How long is that belt?

I actually have 3 of these non-AC brackets. One of which I have on a Magnum that is on the engine stand. I'm trying to figure out how long of a belt I need WITH the Van power steering bracket.

25B9AF99-5291-493D-AE24-4FEF16D19E5F.jpeg

Thanks for the pics and info dusted. I mocked up mine with an A/C delete pulley and then realized it could be done the way you have it. Have not ordered the idler pulley to try it yet, but yours shows it will work.
I am going to try it with the A/C style alternator bracket, and if it still works I'll just cut off the A/C compressor side.
The Magnum engines with A/C brackets are plentiful and cheap around here, so that's why I am going that route.

Thanks for the pics and info dusted. I mocked up mine with an A/C delete pulley and then realized it could be done the way you have it. Have not ordered the idler pulley to try it yet, but yours shows it will work.
I am going to try it with the A/C style alternator bracket, and if it still works I'll just cut off the A/C compressor side.
The Magnum engines with A/C brackets are plentiful and cheap around here, so that's why I am going that route.

So you're not going to run power steering?

Ah, I just noticed that it's 1 rib short. No problems it jumping around?
Haven’t run it enough to notice it moving. The new engine combo has maybe 1 mile on it but lots of idle time. Chasing electrical gremlins and overcharging. I looked on my hemi truck and the amount of belt wrap on the alternator is very close to my set up.

Another pic with engine out of car. Also the belt length was with the tensioner in the middle position, not too tight or too loose. Has room to adjust.

0F65BCAE-AC3E-47D7-AD42-190B2997FA97.jpeg

If you do a little digging, you will likely find a correct length 7 rib belt. I found one searching around by lengths and ended up finding a listing that had what I needed for the manual steering setup using the A/C delete pulley set up.
The first digit in the part number is usually the rib count.

A 7PK1430 should be Dayco 5070563, and should be a 7 rib that is 56.3 inches overal length. That 6PK1410 should be the Dayco 5060555 which is supposed to be 56.17 inches overall length.
That small difference may be ok with your tensioner already in the middle of it's travel.

Ordered a 7PK1410 and verified it fits with the non AC alternator bracket and ribbed idler pulley like the setup dusted showed. This one has the seven ribs to fit the Magnum pulleys.
Do not use my previous post. I was measuring different configurations and put the wrong numbers for this application.
IMG_20180703_182424.jpg
IMG_20180703_182446.jpg

Ordered a 7PK1410 and verified it fits with the non AC alternator bracket and ribbed idler pulley like the setup dusted showed. This one has the seven ribs to fit the Magnum pulleys.
Do not use my previous post. I was measuring different configurations and put the wrong numbers for this application.
View attachment 1715194253 View attachment 1715194254
Looks good!
I will hit advance auto up get the correct rib count. Thanks for the update

If you don't find it locally, try beltzoom.com. They offer the Bando brand, which is still made in USA, and it was reasonably priced with no long wait to ship.
Belt Zoom

Any year Dakota V6 in particular?
Any Dakota with a 3.9 magnum V6 1992 - 2003 or 3.9 V6 ram pickup 1992 - 2003 or V6 Van 1992 - 2001 and of course the same vehicles with a 5.2 or 5.9 but most of those will have AC brackets

Last edited:

Gates part no. for the short belt is K070553
Dayco 5070553 and goodyear 4070553 these are the 7 rib belt..

By any chance, anyone know the part number for the belt that fits the non-A/C alternator bracket + Van Power Steering bracket?

Or, should I just look up a '99 RAM 1500 VAN with a V8 and no A/C? (picked '99 year randomly, is there a better year to pick?)

My buddy used that belt you mentioned and I believe he used an smooth idler from a 3.5 liter Intrepid as it was about 1/2 smaller so the belt would clear water pump, but not positive.
I thought I had pictures of his setup on my phone but can't find them. That year van you mentioned will work but you need that smaller idler to make it work.

My buddy used that belt you mentioned and I believe he used an smooth idler from a 3.5 liter Intrepid as it was about 1/2 smaller so the belt would clear water pump, but not positive.
I thought I had pictures of his setup on my phone but can't find them. That year van you mentioned will work but you need that smaller idler to make it work.

Ok, cool! Good to know! Thanks! I'll look out for those Intrepids. By any chance do you know what year to look for?

-
Back