VF Valiant coupe resto in Aus

-
Great looking Val bro. I love the color and the bumble bee stripe the ford rear, is that an 8.8 rear. Looks to be from the cover. Great choice. Disc brakes, i am assuming larger bolt pattern 5x4&1/2" bolt circle. I Been following your build, decided to finally post. Hello from the southwest USA. I loved looking at the pix and comparing whats similar, and different with the dodge dart from 1969. Id love to have one of these little gems in the states or a valiant ute. The RHD would blow peoples minds.

Great looking Val bro. I love the color and the bumble bee stripe the ford rear, is that an 8.8 rear. Looks to be from the cover. Great choice. Disc brakes, i am assuming larger bolt pattern 5x4&1/2" bolt circle. I Been following your build, decided to finally post. Hello from the southwest USA. I loved looking at the pix and comparing whats similar, and different with the dodge dart from 1969. Id love to have one of these little gems in the states or a valiant ute. The RHD would blow peoples minds.
Thanks moparmat, I believe it is a 8.8 yes and has the larger bolt pattern with the 1/2 inch studs, this will give me a much bigger choice of wheels to use. I still have to change the front studs to 1/2 inch also, as the Valiant ones are 7/16 as you know.

Are you concidering a larger bolt pattern disc brake setup in the front? I know here is the states a 73 to 76 dart or valiant setup is a bolt on with the larger ball joint upper control arms. Not sure what y'all got to work with down under.

I used the 74 dart disc brake spindles, and big ball joint tubular upper arms. Then i found a 79 chrysler cordoba in the junky. Its a big beastly car basically the last hurrah of the B body in rhe US and weighs in at 3,975 pounds.

The cordoba gave me larger 11.75" diameter rotors with the larger bolt pattern and 1/2" studs, the dust shields, caliper brackets and 2.75" diameter piston calipers. All this is a direct bolt on to the A body disc brake spindle.

It requires the cordoba master cylinder which has a bigger bore for the bigger pistons.

it has disc front from a later model Aussie Valiant, which has a Ford stud pattern, but still has the small studs, I have several options but I think for now I might just drill out the stud holes on my rotors to accept a 1/2 inch stud, another option is I can buy a Ford hub from a 85 Falcon and have the back of it machined to suit the correct seal, that will work, then of course we can go the full after market setup, but im not rich so that's not an option right now :)

it has disc front from a later model Aussie Valiant, which has a Ford stud pattern, but still has the small studs, I have several options but I think for now I might just drill out the stud holes on my rotors to accept a 1/2 inch stud, another option is I can buy a Ford hub from a 85 Falcon and have the back of it machined to suit the correct seal, that will work, then of course we can go the full after market setup, but im not rich so that's not an option right now :)

Good to know you have some options there. My 67 barracuda was a stripper. It had 9" drums at all 4 corners with the 5 bolt 4" bolt circle with 7/16" studs. It had the slant sux with 3 on the tree and a bench seat , manual everything. I basically bought a solid body with a title, and clutch pedals since all the 6 cylinder stuff was going to be scrapped. I kept the air cleaner lid off the slanty, and got a base off a magnum V8, cut the base back to make a low restriction air cleaner that looks like a 273 commando one.

Found a 74 dart sedan at the local police auction. It gave me the V8, k frame, floor pan, disc brake parts, then i cut it apart and sold the rest and made a bit o money.

When all the wrenchings done, my cuda will end up as a 360 A833 O/D 4 speed, large power discs on the front 10"x2.50" finned kelsey hayes drums on the 8.75 rear. Power steering off the dart with C body arms for a faster ratio, and bucket seats without console, and big fat sway bars and torsion bars. Lol also going yellow, but factory 67 daffodil yellow. Very low key understated color. Making a sleeper out of it.

Good to know you have some options there. My 67 barracuda was a stripper. It had 9" drums at all 4 corners with the 5 bolt 4" bolt circle with 7/16" studs. It had the slant sux with 3 on the tree and a bench seat , manual everything. I basically bought a solid body with a title, and clutch pedals since all the 6 cylinder stuff was going to be scrapped. I kept the air cleaner lid off the slanty, and got a base off a magnum V8, cut the base back to make a low restriction air cleaner that looks like a 273 commando one.

Found a 74 dart sedan at the local police auction. It gave me the V8, k frame, floor pan, disc brake parts, then i cut it apart and sold the rest and made a bit o money.

When all the wrenchings done, my cuda will end up as a 360 A833 O/D 4 speed, large power discs on the front 10"x2.50" finned kelsey hayes drums on the 8.75 rear. Power steering off the dart with C body arms for a faster ratio, and bucket seats without console, and big fat sway bars and torsion bars. Lol also going yellow, but factory 67 daffodil yellow. Very low key understated color. Making a sleeper out of it.
that is awesome, mine will also be a 360 with a833 o/d, its a little uncommon here in Aus to have a v8 Valiant with a 4 speed manual, and whenever you see one it is usually a single rail gearbox not a a833, the only Australian made Mopar to ever have a factory 4 speed behind a v8 was the Chrysler Drifter panel van (late 70's) it was a 318 / single rail.....(well im pretty sure thats the only one), but not many made and are pretty rare today.
But yeah I really wanted to have a v8 mopar with a 4 speed manual, I cant wait to drive it!

I agree, 4 speeds are dead sexy, especially side loader A833s. the O/D aluminum cases do have issues. Comtact brewers performance, or passon performance for upgrades to make it live longer.

Not sure if you have access to rockauto.com, but if you do, look up a 1994 dodge dakota with 5.2L V8. Go to manual transmission, and look up clutch pilot bearing. This is a needle bearing pilot that will fit your A833. The one to look for is either national or timkin. PN# FC69907. This press fits into the ledge on the back of the crankshaft, in case the back of your crank isnt finish drilled for a bronse pilot bushing this becomes an option instead of having to finish machine the pilot hole.

Last edited:
hey moparmat yeah I have actually already purchased the bearing, im going to see if I can get them here in Aus too before I fit it.
Also I believe I will have to cut a little off the input shaft, (going from what I have read on this forum).

hey moparmat yeah I have actually already purchased the bearing, im going to see if I can get them here in Aus too before I fit it.
Also I believe I will have to cut a little off the input shaft, (going from what I have read on this forum).
I'm not sure but i think if your crank is pilot drilled you may have enough clearance for the input shaft stinger without modification to it. My 1974 318 i am using as a mockup for my wiring, and brackets and such has a deep enough , and large enough diameter wise pilot hole in it that my A833 O/D trans slipped right in. The crank for my 360 is the same way. Neither however are finish machined for a pilot bushing, this is why i am going with the dodge dakota bearing, plus the roller needle nearing setup i think is a better design. Your best bet is to break out a caliper and machinest scale and measure it all. Personally, i wouldent cut the input shaft stinger if i didnt absolutely need to.

Yeah i still haven't started on the gearbox setup yet but I'll definitely be checking things to see how it all fits up, i too don't want to cut the input shaft unless i absolutely have to

Btw, what time is it there in OZ anyways. I am sitting here at my kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee at 6:06 am. Getting ready to leave 4 work.

Kool. Anything interesting? My kids hog the TV with disney channel until bedtime, then i flip it to Fox news channel, to watch all the craziness thats our news cycle over here. I cant wait to see if it ends up being a bunch of matchup debates between Donald Trump and Hitlery clinton. I think Donald Trump is gonna club her like a baby seal LOL.

Kool. Anything interesting? My kids hog the TV with disney channel until bedtime, then i flip it to Fox news channel, to watch all the craziness thats our news cycle over here. I cant wait to see if it ends up being a bunch of matchup debates between Donald Trump and Hitlery clinton. I think Donald Trump is gonna club her like a baby seal LOL.
I love the Trumpster! Hope he kicks her saggy ***!

Yeah, yeah me too. Nothing but an effin criminal along with her husband bill. I call them the hillybillys. Couple of crooks , liars, cheats, thieves, murderers fron Arkansas. Id rather be friends with the Yakuza or the italian mafia than with these too. At least those groups have some honor amongst them. Gonna get a bumper sticker that says hillary for prison 2016.

Hey man i gotta run. Its 6:30. Time to get crackalackin. Keep it up on your Val. Shes lookin great.

Yeah, yeah me too. Nothing but an effin criminal along with her husband bill. I call them the hillybillys. Couple of crooks , liars, cheats, thieves, murderers fron Arkansas. Id rather be friends with the Yakuza or the italian mafia than with these too. At least those groups have some honor amongst them. Gonna get a bumper sticker that says hillary for prison 2016.

Hey man i gotta run. Its 6:30. Time to get crackalackin. Keep it up on your Val. Shes lookin great.
Ok man talk soon

Some progress pics, new steel wheels, new brake booster / master cyl, new brake lines and brakes bled and working, new front shocks, new venetians, and a aluminium radiator I purchased from a friend, new valued over $1000, I paid half, its as new im very happy about it, its the one of the best brands you can get here.
Should have the rear bumper back from the chromers in a couple of weeks too.

20160601_130905.jpg

20160601_193804.jpg

20160604_100238.jpg

20160604_124402.jpg

20160604_142757.jpg

I like the rims. What diameter are they? Are you gonna run em bare black with chrome lug nuts?

I like the rims. What diameter are they? Are you gonna run em bare black with chrome lug nuts?
hey Mat, the rims are 15x5 for the fronts and 15x8 for the rear......I have the chrome nuts, and also have the small hubcaps and am undecided yet as to how ill leave it, I would love to use a small Mopar cap.

Venetians in the back window must be a popular Aussie thing. I see them a lot on builds from down under. Do they let you tint windows down there? If not is this just a way to shade the back part of the interior?

I have a set of four 15x7 steelies i got off a 1985 chrysler fifth avenue in the junky. These are the BBP wheels that i am upgrading my 67 to. They have the nubs to snap on a stock plymouth center cap. I need to sand blast them. Then prime and paint them. $30 for a set of 4 i cant complain. I found the plymouth caps at a flea market locally for $20. A buddy of mine let me use his tire machine to get the tires off. I will prob run 255 60 15s all around. Concidering the car had 14x5" pizza cutters from the factory. This is a big improvement. The barracuda in the pix is not mine but an example of the look and paint color i am going for. The factory wheels on the 68 barracuda formula S in the pix below were still only a minor improvement in rim width at these were still only 14x5.5"

attachment-6.jpeg

attachment-7.jpeg

20151003_153414.jpg

20151003_161948.jpg

Last edited:
hey all, been a while since i have posted, i have been very busy setting things up in my new place after my ex decided i was no longer good enough for her and her kids lol i have my own place and have had to build a carport for my Plymouth and a small shed for all my tools and parts and set up the garage, but in the mean time i was able to rechrome my rear bumper and fit, and got my tyres fitted to the rims, and as you can see, the rear fender lips will require some work so i hope they wont give me too much trouble................

20160625_114108.jpg

20160702_111456.jpg

20160722_152106.jpg

20160722_152127.jpg

20160817_110020.jpg

Nice wheels. I like the derby covers in the center. Are you thinking of installing beauty rings too or leaving as is?

Nice wheels. I like the derby covers in the center. Are you thinking of installing beauty rings too or leaving as is?
Hi Mat, no ill be leaving them as they are, i like the plain look like this.
I have purchased a Grant steering wheel too, just have to wait for it to arrive....next step is order the engine parts then start working out what i have to do about the clutch and im pretty much there! :)

Hi all, well i tore the engine down and after repeated assurances that this was a good running engine this is what i found lol, but cant really say im surprised.
So tomorrow ill be dropping it off at the machine shop to get rebored etc, and the clutch setup for the gearbox should be hopefully finished this weekend.
Starting to move along now..........

mms_img392963244.jpg

mms_img-1056748658.jpg

mms_img-2091908543.jpg

I also scored a set of heads cheap, that were on a pretty well built 360, that only did a couple of passes before being removed, apparently reconditioned not long before that so im hoping they will be ok :)

-
Back