Victor340 and RPM manifold testing

-
26@600 is a hell of a gain, pretty impressive

On a good working head it would have squeezed a few more out of it. I wish the Edelbrock heads that left here Saturday were still available. I would love to see it on the set of 2.08 valves heads I’m doing for my car but I just don’t have the available time to do that test. Those heads are pushing 330cfm.

On a good working head it would have squeezed a few more out of it. I wish the Edelbrock heads that left here Saturday were still available. I would love to see it on the set of 2.08 valves heads I’m doing for my car but I just don’t have the available time to do that test. Those heads are pushing 330cfm.
330, just nuts.. i will be happy with 290ish since i won't be spinning crazy high

Very nice work. I have a Strip Dominator on my B1-BA heads, and a Super Victor on my Trick Flow. Have you ever not port matched the intake manifold to the gasket, intentionally left it smaller to help with revision?

So, i have a question since we are talking flow here... Is there a reason to get nuts with CFM if you don't have the inches or plan to run the RPM that needs 330? I already figure OOTB TF's are overkill for me.. is anything lost lower down by not having huge CFM? Or would having massive CFM and not using it be detrimental below X RPM due to lost velocity?

Very nice work. I have a Strip Dominator on my B1-BA heads, and a Super Victor on my Trick Flow. Have you ever not port matched the intake manifold to the gasket, intentionally left it smaller to help with revision?

No

So, i have a question since we are talking flow here... Is there a reason to get nuts with CFM if you don't have the inches or plan to run the RPM that needs 330? I already figure OOTB TF's are overkill for me.. is anything lost lower down by not having huge CFM? Or would having massive CFM and not using it be detrimental below X RPM due to lost velocity?

On an Speedmaster, Edelbrock, TrickFlow type of head it’s almost impossible to slow down the speed to much. I may get called a lier again for saying this but the old Airwolf heads had a 220cc intake runner. Dr J approached Edelbrock to fill in the floor of their heads so he could remove more material. That he did but in doing so he lowered an already piss poor short turn. Sure the head flow lots of cfm but if you would see that jumpy son of a gun on my flowbench you would scratch your head like I did. 308 to 320 down to 310 up to 324 down to 312. You can hear the air pulsing as it skips the short turn and crashes into the good air in the back of the port. If you offered me a set for free I wouldn’t drive 10 miles to pick them up. And you can port a head to flow 310 and still flow good at .300.

I should have added Edelbrock refused to modify their head so supposedly ProComp which is now Speedmaster did.

I get that, Eric explains it in pretty much every video he does :) i was more curious that if someone (Me) is planning a 408 that won't be going over say 6500 (cause i'm a wussy that worries too much) would having 330 over 300 make much difference or does that extra cfm mostly matter to the guys that are running up well over 7k?

I get that, Eric explains it in pretty much every video he does :) i was more curious that if someone (Me) is planning a 408 that won't be going over say 6500 (cause i'm a wussy that worries too much) would having 330 over 300 make much difference or does that extra cfm mostly matter to the guys that are running up well over 7k?

300-310 is pretty easy. I wouldn’t even port a set for a customer if he wanted over say 320. In hand porting 8 ports to that cfm level takes more time than you can imagine. Short turn sizing and shape has to be spot on. That set I’m doing for my car will probably get every single intake port flowed on my bench multiple times.

Comparison M1 - Victor - both ported

53A3C91C-4665-4D51-A35B-AD74A0DC79B4.jpeg

F5BE4B75-2909-4824-B6EC-74268A98FDD0.jpeg

RPM is part of the puzzle. The first half of it, are you lifting the valve that high? If not, then you’re under using the head. The third thing is CID. The larger the port the higher you’ll need to rpm the engine to make good use of it

However, that doesn’t mean you can’t make good power with an under utilized valve lift vs the heads potentially excellent return. Same with cubic inch vs head volume and rpm vs port volume.

In other words, you would have to build a pretty unbalanced engine to put to much head on top but it is easier to do the reverse. An example would be something like, tiling a 408 with a stock head and giving it a 260@050 solid roller cam and expect a 9.0 slip. Not happening. Then the flip side. A stock 319 @ 8.7-1 with a fully ported W9 isn’t going to run 9’s ether.

The closer you are to a well balanced engine the better it will perform for the use you intend on and it’s is easy to achieve but the super fine combo is hard. You can screw together almost any combo and it’ll go. How well it will go is another story. One hour trying to zero in on and that’s impossible since all of our crystal balls are broken.

Another thing is you can slice and dice a combo to death. Try not to split all the last fine hairs on it. Just work at it over time. No matter what you build, there’s always room for improvement in someone eyes.

K.. next question.. is there a point to having a head that does 330cfm if the intake barely hits 290? other than making sure there isn't a bottleneck in the head..

BTW.. those stock airgap numbers make me sad.. i don't even wanna know what my normal RPM is.. 220? Wanted to make sure i have hook clearance

Well it’s 7:30 and I’m doing an early quit tonight. Flow tested the Victor340, helped my buddy for awhile checking out his Mopar head (I’ll update that post later), then I flowed the RPM intake, laid it out and ported the runners on one side. A few before and after pictures.

F7B67B96-26A6-42E3-B696-62109C6A0AF2.jpeg

94DF5EAF-BDD2-47FD-AD25-B712795360E0.jpeg

62D04DC6-10BA-44D5-837A-EC5F9801D2EF.jpeg

79FCED93-0D6B-4066-B96F-DCFE7CABEB72.jpeg

5D4B8E83-3635-4ACE-B6FC-3CB1792A76C5.jpeg

1D8560BA-1178-4F46-9BE7-E497AA62E9AD.jpeg

C86133B0-BCD2-499C-8E9E-B64BC6DFB217.jpeg

D0A4EC28-12E3-48E4-9313-FCBD045FB7C9.jpeg

BTW.. those stock airgap numbers make me sad.. i don't even wanna know what my normal RPM is.. 220? Wanted to make sure i have hook clearance
Depending on your goal, maybe not so much considering fellas have been known to run mid/low 11’s. I have seen one in the upper 10’s and yes, no ****, it should be running a single plane intake.

Depending on your goal, maybe not so much considering fellas have been known to run mid/low 11’s. I have seen one in the upper 10’s and yes, no ****, it should be running a single plane intake.

yes, it( air gap) isn’t so doggy at all. At 3350 race weight, I went 11.26 at 118+.
10 to 1 stock stroke 360 with very mildly worked Eddie heads, flat tappet cam, through muffs. Absolutely nothing trick at all

yes, it( air gap) isn’t so doggy at all. At 3350 race weight, I went 11.26 at 118+.
10 to 1 stock stroke 360 with very mildly worked Eddie heads, flat tappet cam, through muffs. Absolutely nothing trick at all

This one was at least gasket matched right???

Well your typical dual plane is very hard to show off your work as pictures are about impossible. Between not being able to see something, lighting, and shadows they don’t look very pretty. I know I would never try porting one without a headlamp. If you get one done and haven’t bent a burr you can Pat yourself on your back. Almost flowbench time.

5DFED604-7FDD-4D38-93C6-557A5C3161F7.jpeg

BD7AF809-C340-4D07-A952-B64D9E1BBC55.jpeg

0C82B974-D327-4E3F-A98E-0F05BDCDB2FD.jpeg

B3E2A436-5623-4268-919C-A0257ABBAB7B.jpeg

-
Back