VIN Rivets

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Do you any of you guys have a source for the rosette rivets for the a '66 Dart? Obviously, these are attached in the door jams, so I'm unsure if they are the same rivets as the later model A-bodies that seem to be the rivets that the resto shops like ECS carry.

What do the early ones look like? I bought a set from ECS for my 72 (I took the tag off to repaint the dash). those were sort of floral shaped with rounded edges

Are you sure the 66 uses rivets and not spot welded in place like the earlier A’s? I’ve never seen a 66 and earlier A with rivets holding the VIN tag on the door

My 65 Formula S Barracuda has the vin riveted on drivers side front door jam. I bought the car off the original owner. Removed the tag to restore the car. Rossett rivets were used originally. 65'

Yes the rosettes are correct for the '66. Used them on the Valiant. Used them on the '63 too even though that was suppose to be welded (the welds failed).

It is my understanding that the early tags were welded on.

The holes were used for alignment only.

But it looks like 66 was the first year to be rivited on (no weld)

65 (red circle is the weld, no rivets)
Screenshot_20231130-094037.png

66 (rivets only)
Screenshot_20231130-094153.png

67 (rivets only)
Screenshot_20231130-094304.png

My 65 Formula S Barracuda has the vin riveted on drivers side front door jam. I bought the car off the original owner. Removed the tag to restore the car. Rossett rivets were used originally. 65'
My 65 Dart GT has no rivets. Manufactured Dec 4th '64. Maybe later in the 65 model year they were added?

Are you sure the 66 uses rivets and not spot welded in place like the earlier A’s? I’ve never seen a 66 and earlier A with rivets holding the VIN tag on the door
Yes, my '66 had rivets. I drilled them out in order to paint the jam. Now it's just a matter of replacing them. It's just a hotrod, so I'll likely just use regular hardware store pop rivets, but I was wondering if the rosette rivets used on my '66 were the same as what are used on the '67+ cars. Sounds like they are???

You could doctor regular rivets to look like the factory rosette rivets to be more accurate if you want.
It would take some skill with a die grinder, and then paint them black...

You could doctor regular rivets to look like the factory rosette rivets to be more accurate if you want.
It would take some skill with a die grinder, and then paint them black...

The ones on mine were shiny since it was on the jam (like post #7). Don't think I'll get that cute with it. It's probably not worth $35 to me. A couple off the shelf will do the job.

I didn't realize '67's had the VIN plates in the jams too. Good to know!

Yes, my '66 had rivets. I drilled them out in order to paint the jam. Now it's just a matter of replacing them. It's just a hotrod, so I'll likely just use regular hardware store pop rivets, but I was wondering if the rosette rivets used on my '66 were the same as what are used on the '67+ cars. Sounds like they are???
A word of caution- if a LEO ever sees non-rosette rivets on your VIN tag, you could be in for a huge headache.
$35 for rivets is a drop in the bucket compared to impound fees, and possible legal fees.
Heck, members on here have had issues with proving their '65 and earlier cars are legal since they had no rivets in them and the cops didn't believe it. I'll see if I can find the threads.
Edit: Here are some-
VIN Plate attachment to the door jamb
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/serial-number-tag.527151/post-1974069028

Last edited:
A word of caution- if a LEO ever sees non-rosette rivets on your VIN tag, you could be in for a huge headache.
$35 for rivets is a drop in the bucket compared to impound fees, and possible legal fees.
Heck, members on here have had issues with proving their '65 and earlier cars are legal since they had no rivets in them and the cops didn't believe it. I'll see if I can find the threads.
Serial Number Tag
I appreciate the heads up, but if a cop ever looked over my car, the non-stock VIN rivets won't be what stands out to them.

Serial Number Tag

That is why I put them in the '63 as well :)

I appreciate the heads up, but if a cop ever looked over my car, the non-stock VIN rivets won't be what stands out to them.
Vehicle equipment infractions are local- VIN infractions are Federal. Do you think a young buck deputy wouldn't love to have a Federal bust on his record?
Not to mention if you ever try to sell the car...

Vehicle equipment infractions are local- VIN infractions are Federal. Do you think a young buck deputy wouldn't love to have a Federal bust on his record?
I am sure @mopowers plans to never do anything with the car to attract the local authorities attention....

Serial Number Tag

I don't know what Wisconsin does, but no inspection in MN. And what cop short of a true old car/Mopar nut would even know about the rivets? I've never once had a cop even ask to look at my vin tag, or any other sort of inspection other than a burnt out bulb. Cops are usually pretty dumb when it comes to old cars and originality, I doubt some deputy who can barely wipe his nose even thinks about things like that.

Last edited:
The rivets are not just an old car/Mopar thing. the same rosette rivets are used across all car brands, up to current, I believe (I only have 2008/2010 vehicles handy to verify).
I have yet to have a traffic stop where the vin was not checked against the registration- they need to confirm that the plates are on the car they are registered to.
And the OP is in California, not Wisconsin. They can require VIN verification at time of registration in most cases, and is always required if the car is brought in from another state. Although it doesn't apply in his case, any car 1976 or newer goes through a vehicle inspection every two years, in addition to smog testing.
Since the right rivets were found for under $10, just do it right and avoid the potential headaches.
Heck, last time I had to strip the tags off a dash, I requested a State Patrol officer to inspect the vehicle in question, and he GAVE me a set of rivets to reinstall the tags with. (Yes, they have them.)

The rivets are not just an old car/Mopar thing. the same rosette rivets are used across all car brands, up to current, I believe (I only have 2008/2010 vehicles handy to verify).
I have yet to have a traffic stop where the vin was not checked against the registration- they need to confirm that the plates are on the car they are registered to.
And the OP is in California, not Wisconsin. They can require VIN verification at time of registration in most cases, and is always required if the car is brought in from another state. Although it doesn't apply in his case, any car 1976 or newer goes through a vehicle inspection every two years, in addition to smog testing.
Since the right rivets were found for under $10, just do it right and avoid the potential headaches.
Heck, last time I had to strip the tags off a dash, I requested a State Patrol officer to inspect the vehicle in question, and he GAVE me a set of rivets to reinstall the tags with. (Yes, they have them.)
Every time you've been pulled over in Wisconsin they've checked your vin? That's never happened in my experiences, in any state ever, including Wisconsin.

Every time you've been pulled over in Wisconsin they've checked your vin? That's never happened in my experiences, in any state ever, including Wisconsin.
Yup, that's what I said. When they're standing by your window, they look through the windshield to confirm the numbers.

Yup, that's what I said. When they're standing by your window, they look through the windshield to confirm the numbers.
Cool, for me they never pass the side window, especially when they are on the passenger side. Must be because I'm from out of state they didn't bother.

Hard to do when it’s on the door frame!
True! Although I've never had it happen in anything older than a '68, so I don't know if they'd even bother.
Cool, for me they never pass the side window, especially when they are on the passenger side. Must be because I'm from out of state they didn't bother.
Huh. Never had one come up on the passenger side.
Back to the original post, for the seven bucks and change that Car Nut posted, the OP should just do it right.

-
Back