Walkie talkies

-
Maybe a little more info? I don't know anything about walkie talkies, but I know my wife and I communicate from the house to the garage (50'?) with our cell phones. Never thought we'd be that lazy. lol

The walk talk ess are very good now ,,,,,what do you plan to use them for ?
You can easily talk up to 20 miles with some,,,,,fairly cheap too .
I’m certain the good ones are better than that ,,,,so pick what you like .
Many channels,,,and many special call sounds to recognize the mate to your handset.

Tommy

My wife got these off Amazon for around $50
Work great. .
20240905_194552.jpg

My buddy also likes the Midland units. I was gifted a Baofeng UV-5R, and it's a good little radio. Another low cost option.

71rHGWBsbDL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

The walk talk ess are very good now ,,,,,what do you plan to use them for ?
You can easily talk up to 20 miles with some,,,,,fairly cheap too .
I’m certain the good ones are better than that ,,,,so pick what you like .
Many channels,,,and many special call sounds to recognize the mate to your handset.

Tommy
Yeah but don't those 20 miles have to be a pretty straight shot, free of trees and hills and such?

We use ours when we're out in the deep country hunting or 4-wheeling.
Can't do that here in MN (use walkies during deer hunting) for some reason, and every time I see that Reg I ask myself, "How could anyone possibly enforce this?"

(Watching this thread myself as I've been thinking about buying "something", other than a cell phone, to communicate between the shed/shop and the house.)

Educate me. What are walkie talkies used for in this age of cell phones?

Well,,,,mostly anything really,,,,,no service required,,,,just good batteries .

Oh yeah,,,,,,the cell phone you are carrying,,,,is the best surveillance device ever invented .
Also,,,,when you sign up with your service carrier,,,,somewhere in all those pages of an agreement that you have to agree to ,,to use their service,,,are loopholes that can ruin you in the right circumstances .
Of course ,,,if you’re not going to break the law,,,you have nothing to worry about I guess.

But remember,,,they know everything you looked at,,,,and everyone you talk to,,,and everywhere you have been .
They even send ads to you after you go shopping in a store,,,,and even send ads to you after discussing things with your friends,,,,,while not on the phone !
These things are listening,,,,,it’s funny to get an ad out of the blue after a friendly chat at the table eating,,,lol .

Tommy

They even send ads to you after you go shopping in a store,,,,and even send ads to you after discussing things with your friends,,,,,while not on the phone !
These things are listening,,,,,it’s funny to get an ad out of the blue after a friendly chat at the table eating,,,lol

I can attest to that, as my wife and I have noticed this before...and each of us separately. Scary ****.

(And not to be overly paranoid about this, or highjack this thread, but both of us (iphone users) are considering going back to a "dumbphone" of some sort, if they're still offered and available. We have nothing to hide, but as a proud Minnesotan I'll say it this way: "It's none of anyone's damn business!")

We use ours when we're out in the deep country hunting or 4-wheeling.
Good idea. A friend hunts in Maine- No cell service. But I think he'd say the noise would scare the critters away.
For people that like to talk while they walk. What else ?
Doh! I walked straight into that one!! lol!
Well,,,,mostly anything really,,,,,no service required,,,,just good batteries .

Oh yeah,,,,,,the cell phone you are carrying,,,,is the best surveillance device ever invented .
Also,,,,when you sign up with your service carrier,,,,somewhere in all those pages of an agreement that you have to agree to ,,to use their service,,,are loopholes that can ruin you in the right circumstances .
Of course ,,,if you’re not going to break the law,,,you have nothing to worry about I guess.

But remember,,,they know everything you looked at,,,,and everyone you talk to,,,and everywhere you have been .
These things are listening,,,,,it’s funny to get an ad out of the blue after a friendly chat at the table eating,,,lol .

Tommy
I tried protecting my privacy for a long time. I hate to admit it, but "they" have won.

We got the Midland walkies when we had the place up in the mountains of North Carolina. Our phones had to be wifi ed from the house. Got no service away from the house. I would go up the hill and cut and split wood. And incase I cut my head off or a bear would attack me I could alert the wife, so she could start celebrating !

Educate me. What are walkie talkies used for in this age of cell phones?

Believe they are carried with an open channel of your choice when turned on. Goes right to the speaker so you don't have to answer a call, just listen and respond back if necessary.

☆☆☆☆☆

Can't do that here in MN (use walkies during deer hunting) for some reason, and every time I see that Reg I ask myself, "How could anyone possibly enforce this?"

(Watching this thread myself as I've been thinking about buying "something", other than a cell phone, to communicate between the shed/shop and the house.)
Well when Radio Shack was a thing, I got some intercoms that plugged into the 110 v outlets. Would work in any outlet on that service. It worked great when I had to go to areas of the asphalt plant while my operator was in our control room . In a 300 foot long tunnel the walkie talkies didn't work so good, and they were the expensive non-CB variety from a local commercial radio service. plus we could talk #h!t about others on the property without them hearing it on the radios :lol:

You have to do some research. There are different services, some requiring a license and some not. FRS EG are license free but VERY low power and MUST use radios certified for FRS service.

Some require a license. Some that don't have very limited channels and in a busy urban area might be useless because of "busy" and "characters"

MURS is another service
GMRS is another

the cell phone you are carrying,,,,is the best surveillance device ever invented
Some people have figgered out a way to use cell phones as radios, so "curious ears" can't pinpoint who is saying what, and I believe there's also a way to encrypt your transmissions while using this method. Buddy of mine sent me a video, I'll try to find a link. You type your message in a text and it's received as a text, but somehow over the radio waves?? I think?
But I think he'd say the noise would scare the critters away.
I agree. To specify, we mostly use them while we're in two separate vehicles traveling to a spot. It's much easier than stopping every time you need to say something to each other.

Here you go. I was mistaken -- the phones are used in conjunction with radios to send messages. Give it a watch, pretty neat stuff.

I just use mental telepathy to communicate with others.
But then again, you all knew I was going to say that...

-
Back