Want other opinions about this

-

dusterdon

Reaction score
I put a flip top gas cap on my duster. I painted it with gloss black epoxy paint. Now that I got it on, I'm not sure if I like it that much. Previously I had a factory chromed cap on it. Lets hear it.

gas cap front small.jpg

gas cap small.jpg

gas cap small rear.jpg

I like the look of the cap but I think by adding something like that I would rather have it pop than blend it, so I would have left it chrome.
AL

I actually really like it. It's a cool piece but I like how it kind of blends in the with car now. Makes the car itself look smoother in my opinion

I'm thinking either a brush aluminum coating (to match the wheels) or to have it coated with a translucent black (sort of like gun bluing).

Have you thought about taking your photo and run it through PhotoShop (or even Paint) to test colors for general look? It might help you with the trial and error of the color for the cap.

Id say chrome or brushed. But maybe leaving the center circular section black and painting the outer part red body color would break it up a little and make a big difference.

The original finish on the cap was pretty poor, hence the need for paint. Even if it was NOS, I don't think I'd like that either. Gonna leave it on for a few weeks or so at least and see if it grows on me.

Should have left it chrome...after all that's part and parcel of the look with those caps. And the fact your mind is telling you it was a failed experiment is enough to ditch it IMHO

I dont really like any gas cap showing. I prefer painted sheet metal fuel doors like modern cars have. The less obvious the better imo.
The flip top fuel door is larger and more obvious than stock. Paiinting it black did help hide it a little bit.
The one plus is never leaving the loose original cap on top of the pump again.

Totally subjective, but personally, I would want a black flush-mount stock style cap. It is kinda neat I guess, but not my cup of tea.But on this cap, I prefer the black over the chrome finish for sure.

-
Back