Wanted: car guy willing to deal with me...

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

since i live in germany i always have to pay tax and custom charges for my imports from US. This adds to the price of some goods 20 - 30% - thats a lot. Summit for example charges a additional "handling fee" of 25 Dollar for foreign orders.

I´m searching for a honest, reliable and trustworthy guy who´s a car nut like me and is willing to deal with me - let´s give him the name "my FABO Friend" - here´s the plan:

I need some car stuff (mostly small parts, no engines, no trans etc.) from time to time that i can get reasonable priced in US. I will order the parts and pay for them, the vendor will ship the parts to my FABO friend - and my FABO friend will send the parts directly to me. For all the shipping expenses i´ll pay in advance via paypal directly to my FABO friend - so no risk for him.

I was trying to get a contact like this through the US subsidiary of my company, but there were absolutely no car guys. They had no idea why i need parts for 40+ years old cars.....

So if anybody is willing to help a german A-body fan please pm me - would be great if i can get a contact like this over there (so i can use my money for the parts instead of paying taxes and custom charges - to me it sounds like a good plan...8)). Let me know what you think!

BTW: if it´s against the board rules then i´ll forget it immediately - please let me know.

Thanks Michael

Let me get this straight.....you think it will be cheaper to pay shipping from the vendor to "your FABO friend" and then again to get the parts relayed on to you in Germany than to have them sent direct? How does that keep you from paying import duty and taxes? You want someone to lie on the custom forms and call it a gift?

Hi Cudamark,

yes, i think it will be cheaper in most cases. To stay with the truth, i know that it´s not 100 % correct what i want - but in my opinion there´s no need to lie because the goods are already paid. Could be used or remained car parts on the form.

best regards

Michael

Michael I can see it saving you money overtime however in the USA it is like a $5,000 fine when lying on a customs form.
A couple questions though
1. Do you plan to buy parts from summit over a time period then send all the parts you bought at the end of let's say 6 months to Germany?
2. I imagine the tax is different for used parts than old parts have you done research to find out the different rates depending on where it was made, used or new etc...?
I can see this working for you however I wouldn't expect anyone to lie on the customs form.

I've been through about every variant of this kind of thing, and it all comes down to one inescapable fact: Around the world, Customs officers know the difference between chicken salad and chicken ѕhit. It's one thing to ask for consolidation assistance if you need to order a bunch of parts from different sources in a single country or region, then save on shipping by having someone receive them all, box them all up, and send them as one lot. But seriously, falsifying Customs declarations is a poor idea because it just doesn't work.

There are parts to be had in the UK and some of the prices are not to bad depends on what you are after, some of the parts we go and get when we can, my friend and I brought back a stroker kit for his 440 !! crank was heavy though but some of the people will put gift on the customs form for you or put a lesser value, have you tried six pack speed shop in Belgium ??

in the USA it is like a $5,000 fine when lying on a customs form.

Oh, i did not know that! In this case i´ll change my mind, it´s absolutely not my intention to get anybody in trouble! Sorry for that!

@slantsixdan: very good proposal for saving shipping costs! maybe this is the way to go.

@beawulf: i heard about this shop in Belgium, never ordered there up till now. If i need the next parts then i´ll ask there for quotation.

Thanks at all, especially for the enlightement!

Michael

i guess the shipping really is awful, i had a guy that wanted me to either ship or deliver a transmision and other parts to a guy about an hour and a half away from me which would pack it in a container and ship it along with many other parts, that would all be going to his other residence. had no problem paying either the shipping or my time, fuel and tolls.

i ship used parts all over,25 yrs,i always put antique parts on the customs form as a gift,never had a prob and im not in jail over it,what happens on their end is their prob

-
Back