Wanting 500 hp (or close) out of a stock stroke 360

-

Aspen79

Reaction score
I'am try to get 500ish hp out of a 360 for my street car. The combo so far is
360 .030 over
10.5:1 compression
Eddy heads (pocket ported) (gasket matched)
Hughes cam .576/.588 .246/.250 @.050
Air gap intake (port match gaskets)
Roller rockers
Head and main studs
850 holley dp (way too big)

Again the goal is 500ish
Fully built 727 5 clutch pack, bolt in sprag and Cheetah full manual valvebody.

The won't be a everyday car. No long road trips, just Cruise around town, Saturday night street racing

I'd talk with Tony (70aarcuda), he has several cars in the mid 10's with stock 360's. Keep it neat on the street brah!

My guess 470-480 max with a great tune up.

The heads need more work than a pocket port to hit 500, IMO.

no. if you had 11.5-12.5:1 compression. its plausable then. cam has lots to do with it and that is a pretty mild cam for 500hp 360" mild compression motor. id say probably 400-425 at most
my very well flowing gen3 hemi will make around 600-650 but my compression is higher than yours as are the head flow numbers and smaller cubes. with a larger lift turbo cam.

id be more concerned with overall power across the range of the rpms. that will be faster than peak numbers all day on a street racing getup.

I was originally going stock stroke 360 aiming for about 520hp until plans changed.
My engine builder had planned on
11.5 comp
eddy heads flowing 280+
252/260@50 - .600 lift SFT

My build is VERY similar to yours except I have a BIG roller cam and a 4 inch crank and I just barely hit 500.

I'm thinking you're not there yet - I am running a 360 stroker (408 )
.30 over, 4" stroke, 9.8:1 compression, 282/282 Comp. cam, Edelbrock heads stage 3 ported, air gap RPM, 1.6 rockers - all said and done I am expecting 475HP. Pistons in mine are Diamond 10.5:1, but after CCing true compression was 9.8:1 - have you verified your compression? Depending on what you use for head gaskets you may be in for a little surprise. If an 850cfm is too much, then I would see that as a clue that you are not at 500HP - the rule of thumb is 2cfm per HP - so if you go to a 750 and it runs better, HP guess would be more in the range of high 300's or low 400's.
I'am try to get 500ish hp out of a 360 for my street car. The combo so far is
360 .030 over
10.5:1 compression
Eddy heads (pocket ported) (gasket matched)
Hughes cam .576/.588 .246/.250 @.050
Air gap intake (port match gaskets)
Roller rockers
Head and main studs
850 holley dp (way too big)

Again the goal is 500ish
Fully built 727 5 clutch pack, bolt in sprag and Cheetah full manual valvebody.

The won't be a everyday car. No long road trips, just Cruise around town, Saturday night street racing

I'am try to get 500ish hp out of a 360 for my street car.

Just asking;but why are you targeting 500, for this useage ?

It is my opinion, that for this useage(or at least most of it); 400 to 430 or so will make a much nicer small-block engine.
My pkg is very much like yours, except I ditched the 292/508/108 in favor of a HE3037 Hughes cam (IIRC is a 276/110). This is a very nice,if somewhat conservative,street combo,again IMHO. I have never wanted more since 2004.It burns 87E10 with full timing and a 750DP. It makes enough power to run 93 in the 1/8 @ over 3650 race weight.It can spin 325/50DRs with 3.55s to well past the speed limit. It will pull itself down to 600rpm on hard ground with a starter gear of 3.55 x 3.09(4-spd)= 10.97.....and it pulls to past 6000, and I usually let 'er buck to 7000/7200, cuz it just sounds killer.She now has over 100,000 miles on her, and has not been opened since 2004.I know,I know; you said not an everyday car, but when it runs like this, you will want to run it;Everywhere. All-the-time..
So, say you are looking for 500 + 150=650 Block-busting, crank-killing, rod-throwing, high-maintenance, stallions;could you not be sneaky, and show up with a 430 + 220 =650? Or do you have an agenda?
Again, just asking.

You'll fall short of the 500 but be over 450. Seems Like a decent combo depending on gear and stall choices.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Just asking;but why are you targeting 500, for this useage ?

It is my opinion, that for this useage(or at least most of it); 400 to 430 or so will make a much nicer small-block engine.
My pkg is very much like yours, except I ditched the 292/508/108 in favor of a HE3037 Hughes cam (IIRC is a 276/110). This is a very nice,if somewhat conservative,street combo,again IMHO. I have never wanted more since 2004.It burns 87E10 with full timing and a 750DP. It makes enough power to run 93 in the 1/8 @ over 3650 race weight.It can spin 325/50DRs with 3.55s to well past the speed limit. It will pull itself down to 600rpm on hard ground with a starter gear of 3.55 x 3.09(4-spd)= 10.97.....and it pulls to past 6000, and I usually let 'er buck to 7000/7200, cuz it just sounds killer.She now has over 100,000 miles on her, and has not been opened since 2004.I know,I know; you said not an everyday car, but when it runs like this, you will want to run it;Everywhere. All-the-time..
So, say you are looking for 500 + 150=650 Block-busting, crank-killing, rod-throwing, high-maintenance, stallions;could you not be sneaky, and show up with a 430 + 220 =650? Or do you have an agenda?
Again, just asking.

You know what you are right. 430 + 150, is plenty for the party. That will live longer too. 500 just seem like a good number to shoot for. I just don't want to be the slowest guy at the party lol. These LS motor are getting faster and faster. I have a 3500-4000 stall and putting together a 9" with 373. I made sure I set the ring end gap for spray and I have a second fuel system for the spray. Car should weight about 3300 lb not sure yet

I'am try to get 500ish - around town, Saturday night street racing
this is all I'm really hearing. Plus a 150 shot ? If you not planning on a roll bar, a 5 point harness, a helmet, and a safe place to unleash this combo then you've been watching to much tv on Monday night.
open up that 500hp on the street on street tires and hit that 150 shot and I'll be asking ya what you where thinking in the after life??? :coffee2:

this is all I'm really hearing. Plus a 150 shot ? If you not planning on a roll bar, a 5 point harness, a helmet, and a safe place to unleash this combo then you've been watching to much tv on Monday night.
open up that 500hp on the street on street tires and hit that 150 shot and I'll be asking ya what you where thinking in the after life??? :coffee2:

😂😂😂😂😂
Yes I have a 10 point roll cage and subframe connector. Working a deal on 28X10.5 slicks.. I don't know what part of the world your from but this is consider just an ok car here in TEXAS. I was out there last night before the cops showed up and I assure you there were guys there with 600 or 700 hp twin turbo LS motors

😂😂😂😂😂
Yes I have a 10 point roll cage and subframe connector. Working a deal on 28X10.5 slicks.. I don't know what part of the world your from but this is consider just an ok car here in TEXAS. I was out there last night before the cops showed up and I assure you there were guys there with 600 or 700 hp twin turbo LS motors
Okay well glad to hear it that you have some safety stuff in mind here. By the way Summit has a deal on those 28 x 10.5 slick because that's what I use $210 each LOL as far as getting used or getting a deal on them is another safety concern. I'm sure that 600 or 700 horsepower in Texas is the same as it is here in Portland OR in New York or anywhere else. One thing I have definitely learned is there will always be someone faster and always be someone slower. For the life of me I will never understand for the $28 any Friday or Saturday night it cost at the local track why someone would want to race on the street?

����������

Hp is just a number my all steel car that runs 11.2 drags cars with high horsepower all day at the track and worse on the street .
Most guys with all that power don't have the expierance or the chassis to handle it. My punk *** street car wins a lot of races and I'm all steel and all motor for now , when the bottle goes on I'll really Gonna run hearts and minds.dont get caught up in numbers is all the COMBO

If you car has 400to the tires and it works u should win most races you race on the street the key is getting it to work right most high horse power guys spin all day and spinning is what I like to hear when I blow past them

Hp is just a number my all steel car that runs 11.2 drags cars with high horsepower all day at the track and worse on the street .
Most guys with all that power don't have the expierance or the chassis to handle it. My punk *** street car wins a lot of races and I'm all steel and all motor for now , when the bottle goes on I'll really Gonna run hearts and minds.dont get caught up in numbers is all the COMBO

If you car has 400to the tires and it works u should win most races you race on the street the key is getting it to work right most high horse power guys spin all day and spinning is what I like to hear when I blow past them

Yep would go along with that 100%......my old 374 flyhp 340 Cuda (weight/mph) could blow almost any BB guy to hell on the road, had it set up so it would pull the front on street tyres with leafs, this was back in the mid 80's, and then it would do much the same to the 440 guys on the track with 10x28's as well.....well to about the 1/8th anyways.

If you street race, take it away from the crowd. Please, don't go racing like U-tube with all the folks watch'n and the crowds. One mistake, a bystander killed, someone goes to prison for manslaughter (even involuntary). Not worth it...... Not the way we did it (or I still might do it..LOL)

-
Back