Wanting a 18x9f 18x10r wheel setup am I crazy?

-

72BBSwinger

Reaction score
Well I have my heart set on some 2005+ Shelby Mustang wheels for my Dart. Like the title says I know I can squeeze them into the rear as they are 18x10 +40mm offset which comes in at right around 6.57" bs. But my main concern is the front with 73+ discs, which if I'm not mistaken widen the front track 3/4" per side, and the 18x9 wheels spec out at +41mm offset which according to my math is about 6.125" bs. I see what alot of you guys have for wheel specs but not front brake application. The 3/4" of love from the 73+ discs can make or brake me. Thanks in advance Emil

17x8 with 5.72 bs won't work in the back without spacers or a B body rear end, how is an 18x10 with 6.57 backspace gonna work?
me thinks the clearance on the front is the least of your worries, in fact the fronts will likely fit just fine, just rub on full lock.

My springs are moved inboard and im gonna do a minitub. And after further investigation they actually have 7" of backspacing. Pauly what is the backspacing on your 18x9s ?

I think the 18" diameter wheel is going to help you. I believe most clearance issues on the front are normally associated with the suspension and a arms limiting backspace with smaller diameters wheels. Back wheels will fit with mini tub no problem.

Hope you do it, I think it would look great

Planning on some 255/40/18s on the front and some 285/40/18s rear should at least "look" like it handles lol!

mine are 17x8 with 5.72 backspace. i've installed a b body rear in it that currently gives me about an inch clearance to the springs and about the same on the outside. i'm hoping to go with 18x9 with around 6.20 backspace on the back, they should just barely fit, and 18x8 on the front with about the same bs that i have now.
i'm using drum brake spindles to work with my brake package on the front, but the disc spindles worked fine too.

just wanted to say thanks to you guys for all the info in this thread i have been havin a hard time figuring out what would fit on my 73 dart swinger, correct me if im wrong, but from what i read, i was planing on installing a ford 8.8 in the rear, if i want 18x9's or 18x10's im going to need to move the springs in and tub the rear? or will just the shorter axel shafts make enough of a difference?

just wanted to say thanks to you guys for all the info in this thread i have been havin a hard time figuring out what would fit on my 73 dart swinger, correct me if im wrong, but from what i read, i was planing on installing a ford 8.8 in the rear, if i want 18x9's or 18x10's im going to need to move the springs in and tub the rear? or will just the shorter axel shafts make enough of a difference?

A 10" wide WHEEL will probably fit in the wheel well & if you use the offset spring hangers to move the springs in you should be able to fit one with a decent sized tire. This allows you to use the full width of the stock wheel well. This doesn't mean you can fit the size tire you want to. You only asked about a wheel size. (I wouldn't try to fit the 9 foot or 10 foot wide wheels you asked about. Your car would look weird! :grin:) You never even mentioned a tire size. Also, we don't know the offset or backspace specs of the wheel you plan to use so we can't really say whether you'd need to use a narrower rear or not.

Pretty sure moving the springs will be mandatory for that big. I can fit 12.50 section slicks on mine with a 8" wide wheel and my tubs massaged with a sledge and the 3" relocate kit.

alight guys, i have some more info now, and i really need your help considering the wheels i ordered and have here now dont fit :-(

http://www.americanmuscle.com/17x8-bullitt-black.html

in the rear they hit the leaf springs barely, in the front they wont go over the rotor hub, im not sure in the rear if i can get away with just using a spacing adaptor. in the front i know i can grind down the rotor to get them on but then i run into the problem of the upper control fittings hitting the inside of the wheel and the grease fitting on the tie rod hitting.

planning to use 225/45/17 in the front and 245/40/17 in the rear

its a 73 dodge dart swinger all stock with 7 1/4 rear right now i will be putting in a custom for 9 inch shortly, it has a 318 right now with a 904 trans im going to upgrade to a bored out 360 and rebuild the trans with a shift kit and stall converter

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

A lot of guys run around a 3/8" (unsure if exact width) spacer to fit over the hub in the front and to get away from the springs in the rear. Some also had the front wheels inner hubs machined out to fit, and some had the rotors machined down instead. If you read all that info on that thread I posted above, you will see, most of them modified in some way. Read through it some more and PM some of the guys/girls, they will help you.

Well I pulled the trigger on some 18x9" w/6.57" bs and 18x10" w/ 7.2" bs Shelby Redline wheels. Wish me luck! Thinkin 265/35 front and 295/35 rears maybe too.....

Well I pulled the trigger on some 18x9" w/6.57" bs and 18x10" w/ 7.2" bs Shelby Redline wheels. Wish me luck! Thinkin 265/35 front and 295/35 rears maybe too.....

I am very interested in this combo, as I am doing the same thing. Are you using a stock, 57 1/8" wide rear for your measurments? Any spacers?

Well things are lookin good so far but need to machine down the rotor hubs about 2mm to make the center caps work. The fronts are about 3/8" from being flat against the rotor because of that.

Attachments

• 20110418201143.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,420
  • 20110418201204.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,400
Those look sweet!!!
The rear I am putting in my Dart is 2" wider than a stock A-body. Does it look like that an inch wider on each side, those wheels will still fit? Or that may be too close. I can easily cut 2" out of my rear, I just figured if they fit, I would leave it alone

My wheelwells are rolled and there is about 1 3/4" of room. I would say no on that one.

My wheelwells are rolled and there is about 1 3/4" of room. I would say no on that one.

Thanks for getting back to me. That is what I figured on the width. The car lloks great. I can't wait to see it with tires, sitting on its own.

No prob! Me too,its gonna be a while before I can afford tires for these damn things.

What size do you plan on running?
Sumitomo tires are reasonably priced on tirerack.com, not the best quality out there, but will get you by. Also check ebay. A lot of tires can be had there for a cheap price.

-
Back