Water Pump for 360 LA

-

davidcribbs

Reaction score
This may be an elementary question, but I am slightly baffled; I have a 1967 Dodge Dart GT Conv. that I purchased roughly 6 months ago. It originally came with the 273, but was switched at some point prior to me for the 5.9 ltr. Best I can tell it is a mid 70's motor, and I know it is an LA block. The motor is stock as far as I can tell with just a cam and intake change.

I tried to install the March alternator bracket on the car the other day, and could not get it to work by cutting, grinding or changing spacers on the bracket, or water pump. After I beat my head against the wall a bit, I gave up, and started reading to figure out where I screwed up.

Didn't look like I screwed up, but then I realized that I have a water pump that the lower radiator hose connects to on the drivers side of the engine? I started researching water pump for LA engines, and could not find a photo or a water pump for that engine that the radiator hose connects to the drivers side of the engine, aha! In my infinite wisdom I think it is maybe a water pump for a Magnum engine, wrong again! I can't find information on a water pump that doesn't come out on the passenger side, am I missing something? Is there a water pump for the LA engines that connect the lower hose to the drivers side?

Third question; If this is the incorrect water pump, which would be great since the lower radiator hose looks like a Frankenstein experiment gone bad to make it thread under the fan, above the radiator support, and around the tranny lines to work,would I need to replace the pulleys also? Since some of the information I read it sounds like the water pump might extend out from the engine further, which would put the belts out of alignment.

If I do need to replace the pump, then would you have a recommendation for a good pump? Currently my car cools very well, but if I switched it over I would like to change all the fittings to -an lines, just because I hate hose clamps.

Thank you in advance for any information you can enlighten me with.

69 and older LA engines had the water pump inlet on the driver side...the 70 and newer has the water pump inlet on the passenger side...

the water pump and timing chain cover and radiator all need to be from the same period...69 and older or 70 and newer for things to line up....

I am not sure of the alternator bracket...but I believe the 69 and older is somewhat different from the newer

The older 60's style was made of cast iron and had the water outlet on the other side.

70 and later used an aluminum water pump with the outlet opposite side....

Go find a cast iron water pump to match your body, you can take the timing chain cover and water pump off the 273 and use them on the 360. The timing chain cover has the timing marks or the timing mark tab that bolts to the bottom of the water pump...

Third question; If this is the incorrect water pump, which would be great since the lower radiator hose looks like a Frankenstein experiment gone bad to make it thread under the fan, above the radiator support, and around the tranny lines to work,would I need to replace the pulleys also? Since some of the information I read it sounds like the water pump might extend out from the engine further, which would put the belts out of alignment.
So the present rad has the lower outlet hose connection on the passenger side? If so, then it is for the '70 and later engines and changing to the later, AL body pump would make things easier for your lower hose. Just look at where the timing marks are on the timing cover; if they are on the passenger side, then you won't be able to see them if you put the newer water pump on. To fix that, you can change the timing cover to a '70 or later or make a new tab, and then put a new TDC mark on the damper, or change dampers.

The later pump does have the water pump flange extended further out. So the fan will be pushed out further, so you need to look that over. I think the difference is about 3/4" (but you need to research that) so it is not trivial. But, you can change water pump pulleys to a deeper one for the '70 and later setup to keep the water pump pulley at the same location. Buuuut... that may not solve the bracket problem. What was the exact problem with the March alternator brackets? I assume it is for the '70 and later setup.

The crank pulleys vary with accessories, but the depth from the damper flange did not change. What do you have on the engine? Just water pump and alternator, or PS, or AC too?

Sounds like the standard flow water pump will be fine for you. Just look up aluminum SBM pumps for '70 and later.

you can take the timing chain cover and water pump off the 273 and use them on the 360. The timing chain cover has the timing marks or the timing mark tab that bolts to the bottom of the water pump...
I guess this timing tab is for some of the early 273's?? We have a later one that has the timing marks cast onto the cover on the passenger side. (But, someone could have changed the cover at some point, like from a pre-'70 318....)

Yes the lower radiator hose does come out on the passenger side, which causes problem shaving to route the lower rad hose away from the fan and twisted through the tranny lines and lower radiator support. It sounds like the radiator is from a later model (70's or later), and the pump is from the earlier style 360 (which it sounds like the motor is).

Is there a benefit to the earlier or later setup from a performance standpoint?

nm9; thanks for the info on the water pump. I have plenty of room between the engine and the radiator for the additional length of the pump flange won't be an issue for that area (i can just cut the spacer for the fan). If it goes out an extra 3/4" then I would just have to worry about alignment, but I should be able to rectify that with installing different pulleys. The issue with the March brackets were that when I got them installed, the bracket for the alternator moved it too close to the valve cover that it hit before I could get the alternator close to its mounting position. I purchased the incorrect bracket though since it was for the 70's and later setup. No worries on that side though, since I think I have better options and a lighter fix by switching out the water pump and timing chain cover to the later model and saving some weight.

At least I know what I am up against at this point and can stop speculating (although I sound really intelligent to my wife when I am speculating, the rest of the times she just rolls her eyes and asks how much that is going to cost).

Thanks to all of you for getting me on the right path.

Yes, the present lower hose sounds messy. Just remember to find TDC on the crank and remark the damper with the later cover.

At least I know what I am up against at this point and can stop speculating (although I sound really intelligent to my wife when I am speculating, the rest of the times she just rolls her eyes and asks how much that is going to cost).
Now that's funny! LOL I'll bet everyone here would approve of your using anything on this site to make the domestic relations work out..... just don't tell her we are here.... it might blow your cover!

-
Back