-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any one have any weird tips for cars?

Here are a couple

Tidy bowl for a carb cleaner

Vibrating sander bungee corded to a bucket for parts cleaning.

Don't be shy, Post yours!:blob:

This is great for sound proofing and only around $20 a roll.

Attachments

• roof sealant.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,051
You can also buy roof patch material at Home Depot in 36 inch wide rolls for under $100. Did the entire Demon and had 20% of the roll left over. Just as good as Hush Mat.

A drop of superglue on the ball of a loose rear view mirror. It will tighten up nicely, last a long time and still adjust.

Had a visit once from the Haz. Mat. men in yellow suits. What a farce that was.

to get the fiberglass hood off my car by myself, I put a piece of stiff cardboard between the hood pin and the underside of the hood on each pin - basically block off the pin holes in the hood with cardboard from underneath, once it is off of each pin it's just a matter of getting under the hood at a good balance point and setting it on the roof of the car - which is covered with an old moving blanket..

I found some large red Christmas bell wall/door ornaments 75% ($5) off at Lowes the other day. Cut them off at just the right spot and made two nice velocity stacks! ;)

Braze old 'good suspension nuts'(tie rod end ball joint etc, etc,)
into cheapie sockets... Screw on 4 or 5 turns, & hammer away !!!

A huge help with frozen taper shafts in suspension components.

Usually good for 2-3 'beat aparts, then resupply/retool ;)

Hid my wife's favorite diamond ring and told her I accidentally dropped it in the engines oil pan. The first time she has ever helped me pull and tear down an engine! ;)

if you have weather beat'in headlights that you can barley see at night put deep woods off on a rag and buff them just like new this is newer cars of course and it works great.

Ok I have to add another. pledge on plastics last a long time!

pledge on vinyl seat makes it easy to slide off of your seat. less drag=less wear

I'm sure a lot of you know this but if you are going to slide a rubber hose or line over steel coat the inside with dish washing soap instead of grease it will slide right on and then dry and you will have a tight fit and less mess.

Buy a 1/2" copper pipe sleeve for .49 cents and smash it flat in your vice. Use it as a backer when you are welding thin metal.

Strip a piece of stranded wire about 4"-5" long and and use the strands to clean carb passages.

Old pre 64 pennies work great at scraping old paint off stainless trim without scratching it - polish with 0000 steel wool when you are done.

Toothpaste (not the gel type) can be used to polish paint, metal and plastic (like taillight lenses and dash gauge lenses). Use a soft rag and some toothpaste to rub out any scratches or blemishes.

when drilling your 5/16" flex plate holes to 7/16" for your new converter
make life easy and go 29/64"

Removing Valve Springs, without compressed air.

Feed in 1-2 ft of vacuum hose through spark plug hole, turn crank at compression stroke to raise piston and hold valves up so they don't drop into cylinder.

When bending short pieces of tubing for chassis work use a coat hanger to give yourself a template to measure and bend your tubing to. I typically bend the ends to give me the rough cut angles so leave the wire a little long when you start. For larger pieces use 3/4" conduit

A 4 inch section of 5/16 or 3/8 rubber tubing to get your plugs started into the threads.
(For standard manifolds and headers both actually)

Oven cleaner to clean dirty parts! Works great! Peel and Seal also from lowes, about the same as U Seal for sound deadening.

Brake fluid is an excellent tire dressing. I've been using it for years. Not only is it cheap, it looks better that some of the specialty "tire black" which leaves the rubber too shiny. It can be used on any of your black rubber. Just wipe it on with a rag and then wipe off excess. Of course, keep from sloshing a bunch on your painted surfaces. Brake fluid has a rubber conditioner in its formula. (Rubber brake lines):cheers:

-
Back