Well I ordered myself some new valve seat cutters

-
What's the scoop with the Serdi? Good for the intakes but not the exhaust or just the opposite. I read something to that effect.

11_14_0.jpgcrop.jpg

Only if you can get it square and rigid.
When I do something like that I’ll use rubber fuel line as a flex drive between the tool and motor to reduce the influence of any misalignment. Easier than u joints and spherical drives.

Last edited:
I get that this is an older post but I believe that my question will be answered here. Does the newer India carbide cutter work with the older Sioux "cutter holder"? I see threads inside the cutter and I'm curious if the threads are the same between the tools.

41zSxlAdP5L._AC_.jpg

K-1703__60726.jpg

I get that this is an older post but I believe that my question will be answered here. Does the newer India carbide cutter work with the older Sioux "cutter holder"? I see threads inside the cutter and I'm curious if the threads are the same between the tools.

View attachment 1716165249

View attachment 1716165250

These are pretty much made to be used by hand. A few turns by hand and it’s cut. My mind isn’t made up on these as shortly after I bought a valve and seat machine. About the only one I use is the 70 degree cutter on my speedmaster or Edelbrock exhaust

These are pretty much made to be used by hand. A few turns by hand and it’s cut. My mind isn’t made up on these as shortly after I bought a valve and seat machine. About the only one I use is the 70 degree cutter on my speedmaster or Edelbrock exhaust
Thanks for getting back. I have some 516 heads that I want to try and use cutters to inlarge the exhaust from 1.60 to 1.74.

I have stones but that seems a lot to open up with grinding.

If you have a local shop strip and clean the heads and ask them how much they would charge to do it. My local shops machine shop closed so I was forced to buy my seat machine but they used to charge me 8-10.00 per hole. Might be worth checking but I would recommend having them as clean as you can get them.

If you have a local shop strip and clean the heads and ask them how much they would charge to do it. My local shops machine shop closed so I was forced to buy my seat machine but they used to charge me 8-10.00 per hole. Might be worth checking but I would recommend having them as clean as you can get them.
That is the problem with machine shops in Denver. Way too stupid busy and can't be bothered with a small job. My thoughts are to use the cutter to get close to the diameter I need then use grinding stone to finish it.

That is the problem with machine shops in Denver. Way too stupid busy and can't be bothered with a small job. My thoughts are to use the cutter to get close to the diameter I need then use grinding stone to finish it.

Don’t forget to measure and get the throat set right at around 90% of your valve size or what you are doing is worthless. You can YouTube this procedure online and use a set of snap
Gauges. If you have never done this it may pay to practice on a scrap head. Slow and easy.

Don’t forget to measure and get the throat set right at around 90% of your valve size or what you are doing is worthless. You can YouTube this procedure online and use a set of snap
Gauges. If you have never done this it may pay to practice on a scrap head. Slow and easy.
Thanks for the input. By chance do you have a Sioux grinding stone holder to see if the cutter fits on the threads?

I torn my calf muscle last week and I can’t even walk the 150 feet to my shop. Sorry.
You need to take it easy. It's going to take a bit to heal
I tore my biceps on my right arm last winter, it took over 6 months to fully heal.
Take care and be patient.

So, how did those "India" cutter kits work out? I see them on ebay not bad price but if they don't work not a value either...would they work on a set of Js to punch 1.88s out to 2.02?

So, how did those "India" cutter kits work out? I see them on ebay not bad price but if they don't work not a value either...would they work on a set of Js to punch 1.88s out to 2.02?

I wouldn’t want to have to remove that much material. Not sure if they could do it or not.

I wouldn’t want to have to remove that much material. Not sure if they could do it or not.
Yeah for the price it looks like a "use it once and its done" type tool. But you think it would clean up seats ok right? I do have a set of J's with 2.02s already in them I just have to check the guides. The machine shop guy I use is so backed up Id drop the heads off in March and maybe get them back in Sept.

Yeah for the price it looks like a "use it once and its done" type tool. But you think it would clean up seats ok right? I do have a set of J's with 2.02s already in them I just have to check the guides. The machine shop guy I use is so backed up Id drop the heads off in March and maybe get them back in Sept.

I used the 70 degree quite a bit and still Do once in awhile. I didn’t have a 70 Degree cutter in my many Neway cutters. I now cut 99% of everything on my seat machine but I’ll still grab a Neway cutter to touch something up. I’ll probably use the even more on LS heads when I get into doing them.

I offered up my stone dresser, air grinder, and several boxes of stones on here for the cost of shipping. No takers so I put a post up to my local friends on Facebook for pickup only. They were gone in five minutes and picked up that night. More junk gone.

The stones is the way I learned in auto tech way back in the early 1990s. I could see not using it every day but every once in a while it could work especially for free LOL! Just for cleaning up seats. For me the thing is, I see that not everyone is doing cylinder heads the machine shops are basically going obsolete or they have their thing they want to do and it may not be cast iron heads etc. . Maybe racers have their thing but keeping an old street car going is different. People say "buy Speedmasters" from what I gather they still need to be sent out, so where is the savings when a street car just needs some freshened up Js or x heads. But my recent experience has been about 500 for machine shop work milled, valve job and the seats cleaned up spring height checked and shimmed etc. plus the cost of the heads as cores so It could be anywhere from 600-800 dollars for a freshened up set of cast iron heads. But my main complaint now is the guy doesn't seem interested he's backed up and I drop my heads off and its months later till I hear anything. The last set i dropped off I waited almost 5 months called and it was like he forgot about them...so its like I don't want to be a bother but if you are gong to forget about the work you have in your shop, I may as well try and do it myself. :)

Last edited:
-
Back