Well I think my racing season is over

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was planning on the three day 10,000.00 races at Keystone this weekend. Then possibly sit till the Halloween race at Quaker City in early October then getting everything winterized so I was ready for my knee operation in the middle of November. But honestly with that kidney stone or whatever it is bothering me, laziness, and the lack of desire to race right now maybe I can concentrate on a few jobs for some customers. Maybe do a few tests to see if my smoking issues are valve guides. I’ll take the frontend off and leave it in the car trailer to make maintenance easier. Kind of a sucky 2024 race season. At least I didn’t pre-enter the Halloween Classic at Norwalk.

I'm hoping it cools off soon so my season can start.
Went to tnt at Irwindale tonight, first time in months (why is not important at the moment ). First night of NFL, 113 degrees at 5pm (southern cal, not even az!) ONE car off a trailer, none more in 45 minutes, I didn't even pay my way in as a spectator.

Knee operation or replacement, John?
I have multiple friends and family members who have had replacements. Every one of them say it's the best thing they've done, all say they should have done it sooner.
My gf (obviously still whacked on her surgical meds!) WALKED into the house, the afternoon of the morning of her surgery.

Well rest up! Ain't a thing wrong with that! You ain't a young man anymore. Get you some quality cat time. lol

Knee operation or replacement, John?
I have multiple friends and family members who have had replacements. Every one of them say it's the best thing they've done, all say they should have done it sooner.
My gf (obviously still whacked on her surgical meds!) WALKED into the house, the afternoon of the morning of her surgery.

Right knee replacement in November then if all goes well get my left knee replaced 2-3 months later. I sure am hoping I can start my three mile Riverwalks late spring and get back in shape.

Right knee replacement in November then if all goes well get my left knee replaced 2-3 months later. I sure am hoping I can start my three mile Riverwalks late spring and get back in shape.
It may be painful, but the best advice possible.... DO THE REHAB religiously .
It makes a huge difference in recovery time.

so I was ready for my knee operation in the middle of November
Some unsolicited advise.
I had both knees replaced at the same time just over a year ago.
  1. Get a recumbent stationary bike now, look on Craig's list Facebook market place, etc, I got one free.
  2. Do ALL the exercises the physical therapist says to do.
  3. DO THE WORK! think about the pro foot ball players who are in the gym days post surgery.
  4. If you have a recliner it helps to reduce the swelling otherwise keep your legs elevated.
  5. Use the compression stockings
  6. Get off the heavy duty pain meds as soon as you can. I stopped after 1 week because my wife said I was being a dick.
  7. Have a goal. Mine was to go to Good Guys 2 weeks post surgery. I went 2 out of 3 days
  8. Stretch, stretch, stretch, I don't care how much it hurts!
  9. Be a good patient!
Good luck to you.

Pre surgery I could not walk 100 yards, and was on around the clock Ibuprofen.

Post surgery no pain meds in 11+ months, walking is not painful.

My knees are not perfect, kneeling is uncomfortable but with pads not a problem, some numbness on the skin on the outside of both knees. One knee ( that was the worst pre surgery) feels less good than the other.

I also I had brain fog for about 4 months, when your wife said she had brain fog post child birth, or a surgery, apologize to her for dismissing it. It's real.

Would I do it again, knowing what I know now... In a heartbeat!

As everyone always says... Why did I wait so long.

Some unsolicited advise.
I had both knees replaced at the same time just over a year ago.
  1. Get a recumbent stationary bike now, look on Craig's list Facebook market place, etc, I got one free.
  2. Do ALL the exercises the physical therapist says to do.
  3. DO THE WORK! think about the pro foot ball players who are in the gym days post surgery.
  4. If you have a recliner it helps to reduce the swelling otherwise keep your legs elevated.
  5. Use the compression stockings
  6. Get off the heavy duty pain meds as soon as you can. I stopped after 1 week because my wife said I was being a dick.
  7. Have a goal. Mine was to go to Good Guys 2 weeks post surgery. I went 2 out of 3 days
  8. Stretch, stretch, stretch, I don't care how much it hurts!
  9. Be a good patient!
Good luck to you.

Pre surgery I could not walk 100 yards, and was on around the clock Ibuprofen.

Post surgery no pain meds in 11+ months, walking is not painful.

My knees are not perfect, kneeling is uncomfortable but with pads not a problem, some numbness on the skin on the outside of both knees. One knee ( that was the worst pre surgery) feels less good than the other.

I also I had brain fog for about 4 months, when your wife said she had brain fog post child birth, or a surgery, apologize to her for dismissing it. It's real.

Would I do it again, knowing what I know now... In a heartbeat!

As everyone always says... Why did I wait so long.

Being older, single, and living along my Doctor will only do one at a time which is fine with me because I have a home to take care of, cook and care for myself, and 7 inside and 3 outside cats to care for. I will have home therapy till I can drive to town for therapy. He said being my right leg a probably two weeks.

. He said being my right leg a probably two weeks
That's about right.

You have to be able to bend your knee enough and easily to press the brake.

AND you need to be off the prescription pain meds.

I was driving myself to therapy at the 2 week point.

Do t be too proud to ask for help, people truly want to help it makes them feel good.

I was planning on the three day 10,000.00 races at Keystone this weekend. Then possibly sit till the Halloween race at Quaker City in early October then getting everything winterized so I was ready for my knee operation in the middle of November. But honestly with that kidney stone or whatever it is bothering me, laziness, and the lack of desire to race right now maybe I can concentrate on a few jobs for some customers. Maybe do a few tests to see if my smoking issues are valve guides. I’ll take the frontend off and leave it in the car trailer to make maintenance easier. Kind of a sucky 2024 race season. At least I didn’t pre-enter the Halloween Classic at Norwalk.
Better to not force yourself to do something you aren't into at the moment... relax and recharge. And get that knee done! Things will be better.

Sorry to hear this John. I sure hope the surgery goes well in November. Still 2 months away. I won’t doubt you’ll muster up enough energy to hit the Quaker Halloween race. It’s still a month off. Wishful thinking is all.

No need to force your self to the races, dude. Take a break, and focus on health and sanity around the homestead for the rest of the year.

It’s just not racing trust me. I haven’t been to the pistol range in months and the long range at all this year. I haven’t bought a fishing license in two years and lost my local private fishing lake. And those are things I love to do too. Weather permitting I will make it to the range next week even if I have to force myself to go. Heck I even put in 8 months to get a silencer so I could shoot in my back yard and not bother the widows and I tried it out once. Laziness, pure laziness.

It’s just not racing trust me. I haven’t been to the pistol range in months and the long range at all this year. I haven’t bought a fishing license in two years and lost my local private fishing lake. And those are things I love to do too. Weather permitting I will make it to the range next week even if I have to force myself to go. Heck I even put in 8 months to get a silencer so I could shoot in my back yard and not bother the widows and I tried it out once. Laziness, pure laziness.
Glad it's not just me... i swear this year i have had zero motivation to do anything cept be a slug in one spot, and i know i'm doing it but can't seem to break out of it

Glad it's not just me... i swear this year i have had zero motivation to do anything cept be a slug in one spot, and i know i'm doing it but can't seem to break out of it

Exactly. And it seems very common with other friends I talk to. Even with work I want to do. I have my set of heads to finish and I’m itching to tear into a set of LS heads but I won’t youth that stuff till I’m caught up with customer stuff.

John, I agree to taking it easy and resting up for the knee surgery. You ain't no spring chicken and the surgery will probably knock you back a bit. You are a talented individual and are not one to sit back and do nothing. My knees were done 30 years ago and are still functioning well, but at 72 I'm slowing down just a little. My mind says "you can do this" but my body says "oh hell no".

yeah.. on labor day i literally did **** til 10am then laid in one spot til it was bedtime... been a lot of that which is horrible.. My car needs like 6 hours of work to drive at this point.. been putting it off for months..

yeah.. on labor day i literally did **** til 10am then laid in one spot til it was bedtime... been a lot of that which is horrible.. My car needs like 6 hours of work to drive at this point.. been putting it off for months..

Sad isn’t it. I’m not from the today generation where guys get on Facebook and ask for 4 friends to come over to help set the valves, change the oil, put the already mounted slicks on their car. So when we stop, we stop bigtime.

-
Back