Well It Finally Happened

-
Got to decide on engine color. It should be painted turquoise but I never really thought it looked good with a yellow engine bay. There's also new Mopar blue, red or hemi orange. I could also go crazy with something like black. The last one was painted Ford Blue just because I liked the contrast. What do you guys think?

I think black would match everything else. Stick with the black and yellow theme. The the raw aluminum of the heads and intake will match the master cylinder and the block in black will match the heater motor and the master cylinder cap and the EFI on top.

I paint all my engines black. Customer engines were black unless they asked for something else.

My car now is yellow and black with a flat black engine. I used the stuff from Eastwood.

I'd go some version of blue, personally I'm partial to turquoise. Perhaps later 340 blue? If it were mine the intake and heads would also be painted.

Well, I am narrowing it down to red or black. Just ordered sh*t ton of parts from Summit tonight. That sucking sound is not a carburetor but it's money leaving my wallet LOL

black looks good with aluminum heads and intake.. just enough to break it up.

Well the FedEx man cometh and he cometh with lots of goodies for my engine.
IMG_20180221_155947675.jpg
IMG_20180221_160420942.jpg
IMG_20180221_160433784.jpg
IMG_20180221_160609145.jpg
IMG_20180221_160621504.jpg
IMG_20180221_160809933.jpg
IMG_20180221_161122838.jpg

Your Milodon P/U screen and the oem style windage tray don't like to share the same space! Some cutting and reshaping of the oem tray may be needed OR opt for a different tray. Give it a trial fit to see what I'm blabin on about.

Your Milodon P/U screen and the oem style windage tray don't like to share the same space! Some cutting and reshaping of the oem tray may be needed OR opt for a different tray.
I am sure some "massaging" of the tray will be needed. We are working on it this weekend, there will be pictures.

Your k frame will need to be notched for that pan. Small notch on passenger side about 1" x 3/4".

Your k frame will need to be notched for that pan. Small notch on passenger side about 1" x 3/4".
LOL, Yeah ask me how I know. I had one of these pans in 1988 when I put the last engine together. When it wouldn't fit I decided that rather than notching the K member it would be easier to give the pan a little love tap with the old BFH. Turned a perfectly good expensive oil pan into a steaming hunk of sh*t

LOL, Yeah ask me how I know. I had one of these pans in 1988 when I put the last engine together. When it wouldn't fit I decided that rather than notching the K member it would be easier to give the pan a little love tap with the old BFH. Turned a perfectly good expensive oil pan into a steaming hunk of sh*t
Ouch, lol

Anybody have any pictures of the K member modification?

Alrighty then, it's update time. I have the bottom half of the engine sealed up. I installed the oil pump, windage tray (required some trimming and adjustment) and bolted the oil pan in place. I checked several times and there doesn't seem to be any crank interference. I also installed my new timing cover and the Brassworks water pump from my old engine. My buddy Larry looked the heads over and we decided that the ports needed a little attention (gasket matched and some of the edges smoothed out) We had to remove the valves, plug the valve guides with paper towels and we put plastic wrap over them with a rubber band to hold each in place. The entire head was blown out with air and finally washed clean with brake clean. The other head will be addressed next Saturday, we're getting closer boys. Oh yeah, PICTURES!
IMG_20180304_103415375.jpg
IMG_20180304_103427103.jpg
IMG_20180304_103445356.jpg
IMG_20180304_103450533.jpg
IMG_20180304_103457488.jpg
IMG_20180304_103503449.jpg
IMG_20180304_103514250.jpg
IMG_20180304_103521940.jpg

Wow! Looks good Glenn. Mine's in already and ready to rock and roll . Spent a whole day on Doug's dyno just to get everything pretty close to perfect.

You'll be up and running before ya know it!

Looks great but I can see you didn't correct your rocker arm geometry.

There is still time to do it, and I would before you buy pushrods.

Looks great but I can see you didn't correct your rocker arm geometry.

There is still time to do it, and I would before you buy pushrods.
That's gonna happen soon. I just have a pushrod in there to check for pushrod length. Trying to find 3/8 rods that are 7.25 " long but it's almost impossible. I might have to go with 2 piece cut to length rods.

Thanks Mike, I can't wait. I decided to go with the Commetic gaskets because according to the paperwork Doug gave me my CR is only going to be 10.25:1 with the Felpro .039 gaskets. Using the same calculator that Doug used I come up with 10.55:1 with the Commetic .027

-
Back