Well It Finally Happened

-
What quench are you set up with?........just curious cause Ole Doug loves a tight squish!

Have to look at the paperwork. Hey I'm not sure about this but I noticed that you can rock the piston in the bore with your hand, is that normal?
In no engine that Ive been around, especially a fresh build could you rock the pistons by hand. How much are they moving? Id be tempted to pull a piston and measure diameter against bore and compare against piston manufacturers clearance spec. Granted a forged piston will have more clearance to allow for thermal expansion, but I don't think rocking in the bore is good.

That said, there is always some minor degree of piston rock and this is increased as piston skirt gets shallower and forged pistons are used due to increased clearance. I took your post to mean there is a large amount of movement, I could be wrong.

That said, there is always some minor degree of piston rock and this is increased as piston skirt gets shallower and forged pistons are used due to increased clearance. I took your post to mean there is a large amount of movement, I could be wrong.
I'm out of town for my job but I am back on Friday. I will post a video. For what it's worth my paperwork says it's 40 over and the piston part number says 40 over.

Well it's noticeable and reasonably easy to rock. I am not sure what the clearance should be on a stroked engine with a forged piston. Maybe I can look up the spec sheet (I've got it at home but I'm on the road) and see what the spec is.

You can always rock the piston with rings on.......as long as it isn't extreme. That's how some guys measure how far out of the bore they are.

Push away from block and measure push in toward the block and measure. Now add them, divide by 2 and you're pretty damn close.

Don't sweat it. I'm sure it's fine.

You can always rock the piston with rings on.......as long as it isn't extreme. That's how some guys measure how far out of the bore they are.

Push away from block and measure push in toward the block and measure. Now add them, divide by 2 and you're pretty damn close.

Don't sweat it. I'm sure it's fine.
Thanks for the assurance Mike. I guess I'm just a little bit jumpy. I've got a lot of ei-cash-o in this project LOL

There's only 1 valvetrain geometry guy on the planet. Mike at B3 Racing..

Read his 4 part info right on his website. And did I mention that he's a great guy?

Well the engine is painted. The heads and intake are staying natural. The question here is weather or not I need to clear coat the heads and intake. Has anyone here ever clear coated their intake and heads? Thanks for your help.
IMG_20180310_144701238.jpg

Well the engine is painted. The heads and intake are staying natural. The question here is weather or not I need to clear coat the heads and intake. Has anyone here ever clear coated their intake and heads? Thanks for your help.View attachment 1715151500
I've never seen high heat clear coat but they do make good epoxy primer and high heat cast iron gray paint. The heads get pretty hot.

treblig

Clear coat turns yellow. I always paint my intake with Duplicolor aluminum so I can wipe off stains or touch up. Heads left natural.
Just my way....
20180310_162853.jpg
20180310_162838.jpg

I clear coated a fresh bead-blasted intake, it turned a yellow brown color, never again.

Here are k frame mods for oil pan Glenn, sorry for super lame slow response time.
20180311_171324.jpg
20180311_171357.jpg
20180311_171405.jpg

I clear coated a fresh bead-blasted intake, it turned a yellow brown color, never again.
Yep. Does it every time, even with VHT's high heat clear. I like the Duplicolor aluminum stuff. Wipe off any stains, touch it up if ya need to. Easy to keep nice.

Boy, one little drip on raw aluminum and you're screwed. I've never found anything to really clean it good.
Years ago I had a little red drip from Loctite It bugged me so bad I finally took a die grinder to it.:elmer:

Hopefully my intake manifold won't leak any oil. The gaskets we're so thick I couldn't get the bolts in. I had to settle for a thick bead of RTV.

-
Back