Well, sign me up for the old folks home.

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Just had my first "fall" off a ladder. Dumbass move, on the ladder kinda leaning to the left, pushing on something, the ladder basically tipped over and I dropped, landed on my feet but the momentum made me fall backwards and I landed on the fallen ladder. Got a couple nice scrapes on my arms, but luckily I didn't hit my head or anything. Just a stupid move on my part. Think I'm going to have a couple of nice bruises.

IMG_20200711_155110120.jpg

IMG_20200711_155124256_HDR.jpg

Eeesh.

Glad to see it wasn't so bad though.

Have seen a guy fall off a 4' ladder and split his head open. Straight to ER with a brain hemorrhage...

Be careful. (easy for me to say) I thought you were signing up for Social Security or Medicare!

Ladders are far more dangerous than most people realize. I was up about 14 feet when the base of the ladder slipped out, was a cold winter day in an unheated warehouse. My first and only thought was "**** this is gonna hurt", and nearly 7 years later, it still does. Broke both wrists, 3 teeth, and my nose, plus 7 stitches over my right eye and 4 in my left shin, plus a concussion. Paramedics and ER doctors all said I was lucky I held on to the ladder, otherwise I could have easily been killed. Still have the ladder hanging in my garage, it has a couple of "reshaped" steps.

I fell out of a tree 5 years ago, kid said I was like a cat. I did a full 180 in the air and landed on my feet, hit and rolled. no damage but scary. I was about 12 feet up and the rotted limb just snapped.

One of my former employers was trimming trees in his yard on a 6 ft stepladder when he fell, ended up with a compound spiral fracture above the elbow.

I fell out of a tree 5 years ago, kid said I was like a cat. I did a full 180 in the air and landed on my feet, hit and rolled. no damage but scary. I was about 12 feet up and the rotted limb just snapped.
I fell off a rickety old 6' ladder stepping out of a semi trailer. Only 6' down but I landed flat on my *** with my feet out in front of m. Yes, I have had lower back issues since. I have a bulging lumbar disc that is bone on bone on one side.

Glad you were not hurt too badly. I have a guy that works for me that fell off a step ladder. Only about 5 ft up but fell flat on his back. Fractured a couple vertebrae and had been off 2 months. Monday he will finally return to work. He had been a roofer most of his life and had no fear of ladders or height. A littler fear of both is not a bad thing.

Damn, sounds like I got off easy.
Be safe out there .
I fell off the hood of a 73 charger no more than 3 feet from the ground or whatever stock height is.

Granted I was hood surfing, with heels, at 2 am. .... on a dirt road. But all that aside, it doesn't take much to mess yourself up.

Arm Scan.jpg

Fell off an aluminum ladder while repairing a bucket on a boom truck. Just missed hitting my head in the rear bumper by inches. Found that the plastic end had broke and immediately chopped that bastard up into little pieces.

I have several ladders, but anymore I'm not as comfortable on them as I use to be. This is about the only one I use. Mine is the 22' one which is pretty heavy. I plan on getting an 18'.
'
051751065107.jpg

A year ago this past March I was 15’ up on a ladder, leaned against a deer feeder tripod while I was changing the cable used to raise and lower the feeder. I shook everything with each rung as I climbed the ladder - solid...

Fourth and last trip to the top of the ladder, the tripod shifted, the ladder slid to the side and I had to decide to ride the ladder down and possibly land on the tripod and feeder (thoughts of being impaled were not pleasant) or jump to the side and land on my feet like I would have done when I was in my 20’s. I landed sort of sideways on my feet and smashed into the ground like a damn fool in his 60’s.

Smacked my left leg, arm and side hard. Used my arm To cradle my head (fused neck vertebrae), which placed my shoulder in a bad angle. I splatted pretty good. Damn, I hurt. It even hurt to breathe.

I checked for blood at my nose, mouth and ears - clear. While lying on the ground trying to figure out how to get up, my dog decided it was a great time to lick my face.

After about 30 minutes I was able to get in the truck and limp home. Had my wife put the electric blanket on the bed and I laid out on it like a big heating pad. Went to doc next day and he told me I got damn lucky. I didn’t feel so lucky for the next 6 months - I was finally able to work on my Barracuda again, starting about 2-4 hrs a day for the next 3 months.

My left shoulder is still not right

Last edited:
A year ago this past March I was 15’ up on a ladder, leaned against a deer feeder tripod while I was changing the cable used to raise and lower the feeder. I shook everything with each rung as I climbed the ladder - solid...

Fourth and last trip to the top of the ladder, the tripod shifted, the ladder slid to the side and I had to decide to ride the ladder down and possibly land on the tripod and feeder (thoughts of being impaled were not pleasant) or jump to the side and land on my feet like I would have done when I was in my 20’s. I landed sort of sideways on my feet and smashed into the ground like a damn fool in his 60’s.

Smacked my left leg, arm and side hard. Used my arm To cradle my head (fused neck vertebrae), which placed my shoulder in a bad angle. I splatted pretty good. Damn, I hurt. It even hurt to breathe.

I checked for blood at my nose, mouth and ears - clear. While lying on the ground trying to figure out how to get up, my dog decided it was a great time to lick my face.

After about 30 minutes I was able to get in the truck and limp home. Had my wife put the electric blanket on the bed and I laid out on it like a big heating pad. Went to doc next day and he told me I got damn lucky. I didn’t feel so lucky for the next 6 months - I was finally able to work on my Barracuda again, starting about 2-4 hrs a day for the next 3 months.

My left shoulder is still not right

A big guy bat our church , retired from American air. and was climbing a tree to deer hunt ,a limb broke , he fell and broke his back and has been paralized since , terribly nice guy too !
I was up on top of an alum. 8ft ladder , the darn thing broke , I fell and landed in a lawn chair that I had just moved , no scrapes or bruises !

No drugs or alcohol involved

Simply seemed like a good idea at the time.

WOW , i GOT HUNG UP BEHIND THE REAR WINDOW OF A BIG OLDSMOBILE ONE TIME , SCARED AS A BABY, HUNG ON TO THE REAR PILLARS FOR DEAR LIFE , THE GUY WAS TRYING TO THROW US OFF.

As I've gotten older, I've "got a guy" to do whatever needs to get done around the house. I have bursitis (in both shoulders) & a pinched C7 nerve, and I get reminded real quick when I try to do something I shouldn't be doing.

-
Back