What’s it worth?

-

dgibby

Reaction score
How to value your car? I think it’s time to let mine go and wonder how to come up with a price for my car? They seem to be all over the place and not sure what is worth.
It’s (I think) a good looking car and I think I’ve done a pretty good job with it.
It’s not perfect, it’s nice and I consider it a driver.
Some highlights on it are

1968 Dart. Was a slant 6 car
408 Stoker/speedmaster heads
Hughes hydraulic roller cam/lifters
727 rebuilt 727 with CRT reverse VB
Holley Sniper EFI
Tanks Inc tank, pump and sender
All new suspension with firm feel torsion bars and steer and gear modern pump
New brakes
Custom interior.
When I say new I mean within 5k miles.
I know it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay but looking for feedback on a realistic range. In Texas if that matters for
Thanks for the advice.

(Will post in the for sale section when ready)

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_1155.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg

IMG_1153.jpeg

IMG_1162.jpeg

If the engine compartment and trunk match the body and it has 8 3/4 25k imo

Yes, that is a good looking car.
I would like to see some engine pics.
What does it have for a rear end and gears?
Off the cuff, I would say 20 to 30 grand tops if it drives and performs as well as it looks.
I'll bet you have a lot more money into it than that.
The problem is, that when you build a car like yours, even though it does everything well, you are probably upside down in it.
That is the nature of the hobby...

Nice car, tasteful list of modifications, and if the quality of work is nice that’s a 20-30k car. I personally would put a different wheel on it to appeal more to a mopar crowd for sale but that’s my opinion only. Good luck.

It's a good looking car, but this hobby is quite fickle. The right person would probably pay good money for it, but be prepared to have it listed for a LONG time.

Nice car, tasteful list of modifications, and if the quality of work is nice that’s a 20-30k car. I personally would put a different wheel on it to appeal more to a mopar crowd for sale but that’s my opinion only. Good luck.
Thanks.
I know you never get what you put into it. I tried to make good choices and did a lot trading to offset some of the cost.
Not home to take engine pictures but this is before I dropped it in.

IMG_3276.jpeg

Looks good. But I will say, when I see a mopar listed with a black engine bay it makes me think “flipper” because those guys love rattle canning stuff black to look new. Absolutely not saying your car fits that description, it’s just a mental block for me. I might go as far as saying you should pull the engine and strip the engine bay before selling if you want top dollar.

Looks good. But I will say, when I see a mopar listed with a black engine bay it makes me think “flipper” because those guys love rattle canning stuff black to look new. Absolutely not saying your car fits that description, it’s just a mental block for me. I might go as far as saying you should pull the engine and strip the engine bay before selling if you want top dollar.
I thought about doing that several times. Got a head of myself when I started out and didn’t know the Mopar world. But settled with my car, I like it and not too worried about what others think. Not everyone is going to like it, like the wheel comment.
I have 10 years of records so can definitely show it’s not a flip but I get what you’re saying.
Here is day one.

IMG_2655.jpeg

Honestly, the only way to find out what it's worth is to put it in an auction environment with no reserve. Then it will bring the market value.

I don't think anyone was saying you are a flipper, that's just the was it is interpreted in the Mopar communities. That pattern of thought has been around for decades. My thoughts are, "build the car to suit you" if the next buyer doesn't like it, they can change it to suit them.

I don't think anyone was saying you are a flipper, that's just the was it is interpreted in the Mopar communities. That pattern of thought has been around for decades. My thoughts are, "build the car to suit you" if the next buyer doesn't like it, they can change it to suit them.
Oh I know, didn’t take it that way.
Just saying I have the receipts to back it up if some was thinking that.
And I agree with your thoughts on build it to suit.

Honestly, the only way to find out what it's worth is to put it in an auction environment with no reserve. Then it will bring the market value.
That would be the true test but I’m not looking to give it away. Auctions can be finicky and I’d keep it before take a big hit.

Last edited:
Very nice looking car. Not sure why you would not want to hold onto it, especially after you put all the time and work into it.

I’m saying $20-25 k.

All you can really do is check the comps. It's really not much different than real estate. It's a desirable year and model. I personally think you did a wonderful job on it. The Black vinyl top, hood and tires all offset the orange very nicely. If it's not a wonderful numbers matching original specimen who cares what everyone else thinks. The black engine looks sharp . Give us a couple pics of the engine compartment and trunk when you can. I agree with what most people are saying pricewise I'm thinking 30K is a good number for you but a reserve auction would tell the story.

I thought about doing that several times. Got a head of myself when I started out and didn’t know the Mopar world. But settled with my car, I like it and not too worried about what others think. Not everyone is going to like it, like the wheel comment.
I have 10 years of records so can definitely show it’s not a flip but I get what you’re saying.
Here is day one.

View attachment 1716313164
You’ve done a nice job, and it suits you I’m sure, my wheel comment was to get you the most value as I think the Mopar community as a whole would value it more with a more mopar styled wheel choice. I personally hate rally wheels and cragars but lots of guys love them and if that’s the market I’m trying to appeal to that’s what I’d put on my car. I certainly did not mean to offend you or your wheel choice.

You’ve done a nice job, and it suits you I’m sure, my wheel comment was to get you the most value as I think the Mopar community as a whole would value it more with a more mopar styled wheel choice. I personally hate rally wheels and cragars but lots of guys love them and if that’s the market I’m trying to appeal to that’s what I’d put on my car. I certainly did not mean to offend you or your wheel choice.
No offense taken.
Just saying I understand everyone will have an opinion , can’t please everybody.

That would be the true test but I’m not looking to give it away. Auctions can be finicky and I’d keep it before take a big it.
If it's really worth the money, it'll bring it.

Advertise nice cars like you have nation wide!!! Real car guys will pay a transport or pull a trailer fpor the right car.
But. FB Marketplace is cheap to connect to the Tx. chevy/truck guys.. Yes there are some of us Mopar guys in Tx!

IF you can do it, cheap and easy to paint the engine compartment and trunk. It can be done well and NOT pull the engine. Just takes some time.

People can always change the wheels/tires if they like.

Off the top of my head I think $25 -30k is a good ballpark of the value. Might bring a little more with a stack of receipts and before and after pictures.

mopar guys are weird, but we already know this. the market is really weird right now, i'm seeing stuff all over the place.

your car ticks all the right boxes: stroker, sniper, rebuilt trans/suspension, brakes, i'm guessing rear end is on point as well. interior is very nice, exterior presents very well.

however, it's a very acquired taste. orange is always a tough sell, but there's some dudes that have the super horn for it. black out hoods are can be divisive, and the same can be said for rims. but that falls into pleasing some of the people most of the time and most of the people some of the some. besides, rims are easy to replace.

the real knocks you're gonna take (besides the rims) are the black underhood/trunk and the RMVB, those are both deal breakers for a lot of people.

real talk though, you're solidly in the 20's and sub 30 in my market. you may sit on it awhile to find the *right* buyer, but there's an *** for every seat and all that. also, it's a terrible time to sell a car right now. GLWTS!

Agreed 100%, but I'm not sure how much the blackness would really affect the price. Plenty of non Mopar people just looking for a hotrod wouldn't know better, or possibly just think it looks 'normal' because that's how all the other cars look at the car show. Only Mopar people know/care. It's not like it's a numbers matching OEM restoration...

That would be the true test but I’m not looking to give it away. Auctions can be finicky and I’d keep it before take a big it.
No it would not many great cars go cheap
ive seen chit cars go for more
You need to know what its worth
What the lowest price you will take is not the same thing
great looking car the round side marker lights are the best looking

-
Back