What’s it worth?

-
Off the top of my head I think $25 -30k is a good ballpark of the value. Might bring a little more with a stack of receipts and before and after pictures.
Receipts and work done to the car count for nothing. Not one thing. People love to try and include that, but ALL that matters is what the market is bringing for similar cars at the time you decide to sell.

Receipts and work done to the car count for nothing. Not one thing. People love to try and include that, but ALL that matters is what the market is bringing for similar cars at the time you decide to sell.
And then there are the guys that demand to buy a really nice car for 50% of the sellers receipts!
But like said, what a guy spends building any classic has NOTHING to do with what someone will pay.

And then there are the guys that demand to buy a really nice car for 50% of the sellers receipts!
But like said, what a guy spends building any classic has NOTHING to do with what someone will pay.
Yup. There used to be a guide in the Year One catalog that was spot on.

Yeah but if similar cars are only bringing half the receipt total, that's all I'd offer.

I agree. A million dollars in receipts doesn’t make it worth that.
It’s only worth what the market will pay.
I mainly kept them just to back up what I’m saying it has or what I’ve done to the car.

I agree. A million dollars in receipts doesn’t make it worth that.
It’s only worth what the market will pay.
I mainly kept them just to back up what I’m saying it has or what I’ve done to the car.
I agree 100% with doing that. It also gives you a nice reference to look back on. Good luck if you do decide to sell. But I warn you now, as a past owner of over 400 cars, I regret selling a good many I've had.

I agree 100% with doing that. It also gives you a nice reference to look back on. Good luck if you do decide to sell. But I warn you now, as a past owner of over 400 cars, I regret selling a good many I've had.
Thanks!

Respraying the trunk and engine bay would pay dividends for a build like this in my opinion. Very nice looking exterior and interior, but $20k+ is a lot of coin for a Dart with a black trunk and engine bay. No disrespect intended - it's obviously a very nice car. I hope you keep it!

mopar guys are weird, but we already know this. the market is really weird right now, i'm seeing stuff all over the place.

your car ticks all the right boxes: stroker, sniper, rebuilt trans/suspension, brakes, i'm guessing rear end is on point as well. interior is very nice, exterior presents very well.

however, it's a very acquired taste. orange is always a tough sell, but there's some dudes that have the super horn for it. black out hoods are can be divisive, and the same can be said for rims. but that falls into pleasing some of the people most of the time and most of the people some of the some. besides, rims are easy to replace.

the real knocks you're gonna take (besides the rims) are the black underhood/trunk and the RMVB, those are both deal breakers for a lot of people.

real talk though, you're solidly in the 20's and sub 30 in my market. you may sit on it awhile to find the *right* buyer, but there's an *** for every seat and all that. also, it's a terrible time to sell a car right now. GLWTS!
Thanks.
Your butt for every seat rings true.
Most of the deal breakers you noted are what I like about the car.
Love the valve body, didn’t want to deal with linkage and nothing like putting the gas to the floor and clicking through the gears. It’s like driving a modern sports car in manual mode.

Respraying the trunk and engine bay would pay dividends for a build like this in my opinion. Very nice looking exterior and interior, but $20k+ is a lot of coin for a Dart with a black trunk and engine bay. No disrespect intended - it's obviously a very nice car. I hope you keep it!
Trunk would be easy but not feeling pulling a motor to paint it.
Engine bay is not as pretty as the interior/exterior but not terrible. (Except for black paint)
Had a Chevy guy fall in love with it last year and turned down 30k for it.
Maybe I’ll get lucky again with some who just likes the car for what it is.

The problem with modified cars is the same as that for modified engines. When something's been modded there's always something that a potential buyer sees as needing "correction". One of my 340s was a fresh rebuild with something like a .660"/.680" solid roller cam. That cam's still lying on the bench. It was just way too much for what I was doing. I've bought a couple of cars on which the wheels couldn't be replaced quickly enough. It's a taste thing, and nobody has exactly the same tastes as another. In my own case, the last nine cars I bought were all either stock or very close to it. I don't want to pay extra for someone else's "upgrades" that in my eyes require undoing.

Regarding the receipts: While they won't determine the value of the car, they will do a lot to ease a buyer's mind in regards to the negotiated price. That price is going to depend a lot on how fast/badly you want it gone or need the money, along with whatever offers you actually receive. Obviously, the wider the exposure the greater range of offers you'll get (see below). But you should absolutely have a "bottom dollar" number in mind before you even list it. Even if your bottom dollar is $15K, start at twice that and look at anything above your minimum as a bonus.

I know the horse is well and truly dead, but another thought on the misplaced black: To me, and many others in the Mopar world, it screams "cut corners". When I see a musclecar with the bumpers, window trim, headlamp bezels, mirrors, et al painted black I immediately think, "This person refused to spend the money to do it right" which is immediately followed by, "Where else did they save a few bucks? Rod bolts? Body prep? Dollar-store oil?" That mindset absolutely extends to the engine bay and trunk. I realize in your case it was simply a beginner's mistake and truly hate harping on it, but it's probably the worst one a fella can make. But wait! You have an out here: Tell them your previous three projects were C-bodies and you were so caught up with those, you forgot. OK, that only explains 3/4 of the engine bay and not the trunk, but it's something! Seriously, as you point out, GM guys it won't find it an issue because it's what they expect anyhow, and some people just want a cool old car and won't care.

Take it to a lot of local all-makes shows and cruises--spend some time and money advertising it in person. Drive it like an old lady, but blip it in neutral now and again. Stay away from the burnout contest! Shows, especially those with decent swap meets, are where you're going to find someone looking to spend money that'll trip over themselves to do so. Hell, don't even put a "For Sale" sign in it. I swear I've had more (and better) offers on cars that weren't for sale than I ever had trying to sell the damned things. Insisting "it isn't for sale" simply drove the price to the point where I was signing the title and shopping a new ride.

Can you post some photos of the engine bay and trunk?
Yeah but I’m out of town until later in the week. I found one of the engine bay but don’t have any trunk. I’ve cleaned it up a bit.
Will let you know when I post them.

IMG_1159.jpeg

Also. Hard to tell in the first pictures I posted but the paint is pearl.
Some will like and others won’t.

IMG_3881.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

Last edited:
The problem with modified cars is the same as that for modified engines. When something's been modded there's always something that a potential buyer sees as needing "correction". One of my 340s was a fresh rebuild with something like a .660"/.680" solid roller cam. That cam's still lying on the bench. It was just way too much for what I was doing. I've bought a couple of cars on which the wheels couldn't be replaced quickly enough. It's a taste thing, and nobody has exactly the same tastes as another. In my own case, the last nine cars I bought were all either stock or very close to it. I don't want to pay extra for someone else's "upgrades" that in my eyes require undoing.

Regarding the receipts: While they won't determine the value of the car, they will do a lot to ease a buyer's mind in regards to the negotiated price. That price is going to depend a lot on how fast/badly you want it gone or need the money, along with whatever offers you actually receive. Obviously, the wider the exposure the greater range of offers you'll get (see below). But you should absolutely have a "bottom dollar" number in mind before you even list it. Even if your bottom dollar is $15K, start at twice that and look at anything above your minimum as a bonus.

I know the horse is well and truly dead, but another thought on the misplaced black: To me, and many others in the Mopar world, it screams "cut corners". When I see a musclecar with the bumpers, window trim, headlamp bezels, mirrors, et al painted black I immediately think, "This person refused to spend the money to do it right" which is immediately followed by, "Where else did they save a few bucks? Rod bolts? Body prep? Dollar-store oil?" That mindset absolutely extends to the engine bay and trunk. I realize in your case it was simply a beginner's mistake and truly hate harping on it, but it's probably the worst one a fella can make. But wait! You have an out here: Tell them your previous three projects were C-bodies and you were so caught up with those, you forgot. OK, that only explains 3/4 of the engine bay and not the trunk, but it's something! Seriously, as you point out, GM guys it won't find it an issue because it's what they expect anyhow, and some people just want a cool old car and won't care.

Take it to a lot of local all-makes shows and cruises--spend some time and money advertising it in person. Drive it like an old lady, but blip it in neutral now and again. Stay away from the burnout contest! Shows, especially those with decent swap meets, are where you're going to find someone looking to spend money that'll trip over themselves to do so. Hell, don't even put a "For Sale" sign in it. I swear I've had more (and better) offers on cars that weren't for sale than I ever had trying to sell the damned things. Insisting "it isn't for sale" simply drove the price to the point where I was signing the title and shopping a new ride.
I get what you’re saying.
I don’t think this is for the Mopar purists. It’s a hot rod I built for what I wanted and enjoy. And like I said, it’s a driver to me, looks good but not afraid to use it. Not a nut and bolt restoration.

Should have taken the 30k and ran
mopar guys by mopars only a clueless mopar guy buys that for over 20k after seeing under the hood
Never will understand painting a motor black hemi orange is correct color and unique as is 69 340 color

Trunk would be easy but not feeling pulling a motor to paint it.
Engine bay is not as pretty as the interior/exterior but not terrible. (Except for black paint)
Had a Chevy guy fall in love with it last year and turned down 30k for it.
Maybe I’ll get lucky again with some who just likes the car for what it is.
I'd call the Chevy guy back. No offence.

I get what you’re saying.
I don’t think this is for the Mopar purists. It’s a hot rod I built for what I wanted and enjoy. And like I said, it’s a driver to me, looks good but not afraid to use it. Not a nut and bolt restoration.
I'd put it up for $35K, it's an eye catcher, **** appeasing all the anal-retentive "Mopar purists". Go to any used car lot or dealership, any salesman will tell You, a majority of folks buy on emotion or features. I've had people ask Me AND the people I've worked for/with.."which of these cars/SUVs/trucks should I buy?"....75% of the time they buy the very one We ALL told them to avoid like the plague, over & over....cause "I just like this one"....let the car sell itself to somebody who wants it.
I'd pay $32K for Your ride long before I'd pay $80K for the red Charger elswhere being discussed here.

I'd put it up for $35K, it's an eye catcher, **** appeasing all the anal-retentive "Mopar purists". Go to any used car lot or dealership, any salesman will tell You, a majority of folks buy on emotion or features. I've had people ask Me AND the people I've worked for/with.."which of these cars/SUVs/trucks should I buy?"....75% of the time they buy the very one We ALL told them to avoid like the plague, over & over....cause "I just like this one"....let the car sell itself to somebody who wants it.
I'd pay $32K for Your ride long before I'd pay $80K for the red Charger elswhere being discussed here.
Thanks. I feel the same way.
I get the restoration aspect but not everyone is into that. It’s a hot rod. Fast and loud.
Car is not worth **** because of black engine bay, but if it was painted, game on. Seems petty.
Not to knock. Just seems silly what people focus on.
BIG thanks to everyone on this forum. I learned so much from everyone here and know what I got myself into doing what I did with my car.
Meanwhile.. my buddies patina out chev with an LS swap is worth double of a Mopar.

Last edited:
Well I like the car. Regardless of the underhood paint and all. I'm not crazy about the wheels and tires, but you did it your way and it's nice. It's a nice car and you just need to figure out a price and stick to it.

Well I like the car. Regardless of the underhood paint and all. I'm not crazy about the wheels and tires, but you did it your way and it's nice. It's a nice car and you just need to figure out a price and stick to it.
Thank you. I appreciate that. I know you’re well respected here.
I’ve been around this site long enough to understand the culture and mean no disrespect to anyone.
Just think we all love cars and to each is own on what we do with them. Seems silly at times what is acceptable instead of the overall appreciation of the build.

I’ve been around this site long enough to understand the culture and mean no disrespect to anyone.
Just think we all love cars and to each is own on what we do with them. Seems silly at times what is acceptable instead of the overall appreciation of the build.
Chit man, we all want to get as much as we can when we sell something big. I wouldn't sell Vixen for any less than 15K. And I know She's not worth that, but she's brought me much more joy than that, so that's about where I'm at. ....and she AIN'T for sale. LOL

I think you did your car the way you wanted, and there's NOTHING WRONG with that! Yes, the anal retentive "purists" will piss and moan about the black engine bay, or the trunk, whatever. That's what's wrong with this hobby and why it's not growing with the younger generation, too many people with opinions thinking they have aright to tell others what they should do with their car.
Let someone else repaint the engine bay or the trunk, or change the wheels after they hand you a pile of cash.

Unfortunately they are both black☹️
Big no no for Mopar.

It had 8 3/4 clutch style sure grip with 3.91’s
The engine compartment, yes. The trunk, not so much. My trunk is dynamatted with carpet over it. Even if it was body color, it looks like **** with the dynamat, so what difference does it make.

-
Back