What are you guys paying for NOS fill?

-
If you are spending all this money on building a car and motor why not build the motor RIGHT and not have to think about adding that crap on it...
my 2 cents !

Hell, I would be an 8 second everyday street car if I hit it with a 300 shot, and yes My motor was built to handle it.........But I dont need it:thebirdm:

Truer words were nrver spoken..

So what if you're racing a 9.0 car. He'll smoke your ***, but you'll have your convictions to make you feel better? Street racing is heads up racing, not that whiny crap you see on Pinks.

Some wise person once said, "You cannot serve two masters at the same time."

Someone else said, "There is no such thing as a successful dual-purpose car."

They're probably both right.

But some people (myself, included) have the "hope springs eternal" mentality to fly in the face of wisdom and try to prove those two guys wrong.

The admonitions to "Build it RIGHT and you won't NEED power adders" is true as far as it goes; it's not too hard to build a motor that will put out nearly two horsepower per cubic inch at the flywheel if you don't mind living with all the things that are required to get that kind of performance out of a motor; high rpms, high compression(pump gas, anyone?), long-duration cams (vacuum-killing overlap.... whoops, there go the power brakes), high LIFT cams (replace the valve springs regularly because of .600+"-lift-at-the-valve profiles) and sufficient carburetion to destroy most of the low end that the cam hasn't already killed off.

Add to that, a very necessary high-stall converter (if it's an automatic), or a 3,000-pound pressure plate to keep your left leg in a state of oxygen-deprivation, if it's a 4-speed, and some 5.38 gears to keep the revs up, since this engine has not a whole lot of low-end torque, and you have yourself a VERY FAST RACE CAR, and a miserable daily driver that gets even worse gas mileage.

The flip side of that is a low-compression, mild cam car with a little carburetor on it for decent mileage and you have a sedate, (YAWN) driveable. but very boring car that can't, or at least shouldn't, ever be raced.

Power adders are an attempt to make it possible to have a car with decent street manners (a 500 rpm idle), low enough compression to run well on pump gas, sufficient gas mileage so as not to break you at the service station, reliability that won't let you down, and yet enough suds to make you smile when you take it to the strip, or just stand on the loud pedal anywhere you choose.

I've never had a nitrous-assisted car, nor have I had a blown car before now, so I can't speak from experience.

But, ON PAPER, power adders look like they could give you a daily driver with manners that could turn a mild package into a tiger when asked.

What's wrong with that, IF IT WORKS?????????:happy10:

Maybe it DOESN'T work... but, I'm about to find out. My blown engine idles at 475 rpm with 12 inches of vacuum, which seems to work my P/B vacuum booster okay, and the cam that works well with my supercharger has only 214/218-degrees of duration @ .050"-lift, so the low and mid-range torque is considerable.

But, step on it at 3,000 rpm, and it feels like a big block. I don't know how much the blower picked it up, but it really does feel like a totally different car.

I was going to take it to the strip with the blower for the first time, tomorrow, but they're calling for rain. My hope is that it will run about a full second quicker in the quarter-mile and about 10 mph faster.

We'll see....

But, as far as driveability is concerned, it putts around like a 318 2bbl in town. Sort of a Jeckyll/Hyde thing...

Stay tuned; I may have a valid point here, or, I may have to eat my words...

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

i like drivers. and there is not much funner then drivein around all day on motor and givein it hell then turning on the bottle and gettin more kick in the pants. i agree that you should build the motor so you dont need it but why not still. you can build your motor to a million horse but 250 extra is still fun. just my two cents. but build it so you can sleep at night not for some guy that you dont know

Bottom line is guys who use it say its the right way....
guys who don't use it say it's the right way ........

I prefer NOT and will always be Impressed at cars running the numbers on motor only,I will not waste my time watchincars run spray...

Thats just me...Have a nice day !

So running spray is for guys who cant build motors but asking for 3 and the move is ok?
If I'm running a car on spray and I'm on motor I am suppose to run heads up for $$ ???
That sounds fair to you ??
So then if YOU have a car on spray and want to run me heads up on my motor,, Then if I put spray on my car you should still run me heads up according to your statement !

His statement is why nos cars running for $$ is always a problem,bracket racing doesn't matter.... but no nos car is equal to a motor car on total H.P. plus you can add that 500 horse once your hooked up and really be out gunning a motor car.....
so yes I'll run any STREET legal,Street tired ,stock suspension car on spray with 3 and the leave !
And If I beat you,I'll turn around and offer you 3 and the leave motor to motor to be fair !!
This went on all night sometimes
150th st (conduit ave) queens in the early 90's late 80's was a blast !!!!
GOOD OLD DAYS before 5.0 stangs and imports ruined it !!!!!!!

Sorry about all the nos vs motor talk on your thread........... but it is about nos so I'm sure your enjoying reading everybodys own thoughts,I am.....

JUICE!!!!!WE DON"T NEED ANY STINKIN JUICE!!!!

taggart-hedley_lamarr.jpg

JK

LOL @ tensec. Last night time street race I attended, I was watching 15 G's between drivers and mad money on the side. I just get a little nervous when others get nevrous and pull the pistols out over on the side.

On the NOS vs not issue, I'd rather live without it. This way I know where I'm at , at all times and not wondering where I'm at when I have a lack of it.

OH, tensec, good luck w/bubba on Sunday, hope ya find something.

So what if you're racing a 9.0 car. He'll smoke your ***, but you'll have your convictions to make you feel better? Street racing is heads up racing, not that whiny crap you see on Pinks.

Street racing is also "ILLEGAL"..and those that participate in it gives guys like myself who race on santioned drag strips a bad name...:stop::stop:

OK guys. All I was asking about was the cost of it.
My motor has 400 hp. It's great on the street. Has run
in the 12's. I just want to play it a little faster.
A 600 hp engine on the street is not easy, unless it
has fuel injection.
I'm going to use this. I don't care what everyone thinks.
This is going to work till I get a stroker motor.
The price of the system was cheap. Just another 150 hp
for now.

Just the way I feel, too. So many people think that its such a mysterious thing. Its just some thing that adds, say 150hp. Am I gonna argue that I'm not gonna race you because you got your heads ported and now have 100 more hp? That's ignorant. It isn't any different than any other speed part. What is funny though, is lining up with someone, then hitting the purge (all the better if its night and you have it lit up) and seeing the face of the other guy go white and him chickening out. Priceless. If you do it, do it all the way. I have a heater, blanket, purge, and a remote bottle opener. When I arm my system, it also causes my ignition (Mallory 685) to pull 6 degrees of timing out automatically. I'd hate to accidentally forget that. The ruxh you feel when you use it the first time is unbelievable. You'll want to do it over again and again.

OK guys. All I was asking about was the cost of it.
My motor has 400 hp. It's great on the street. Has run
in the 12's. I just want to play it a little faster.
A 600 hp engine on the street is not easy, unless it
has fuel injection.
I'm going to use this. I don't care what everyone thinks.
This is going to work till I get a stroker motor.
The price of the system was cheap. Just another 150 hp
for now.

The people that´s not like Nos has likely never tried it! It´s only one bad thing when using Nos, "YOU WANT MORE" and when that happens, you will find yourself in the middle of the night, jetting it up to 350hp and blowing the engine :toothy10:
Oh btw: A 10lb bottlefill cost 100$ in Sweden give or take

What is funny though, is lining up with someone, then hitting the purge (all the better if its night and you have it lit up) and seeing the face of the other guy go white and him chickening out. Priceless. If you do it, do it all the way. I have a heater, blanket, purge, and a remote bottle opener.

What's even funnier is blowing the doors off those guys spraying,then watching their faces when they come over to my pit spot and see,they just got smoked by a n.a. motor..priceless:-D:-D

What's even funnier is blowing the doors off those guys spraying,then watching their faces when they come over to my pit spot and see,they just got smoked by a n.a. motor..priceless:-D:-D
My car has been gone threw many times with them looking for spray after I beat them ,,they look, pay up, walk away in disbelief .. I too love that !

But anyway, too each his own, good luck with your car either way you go.

no nos car is equal to a motor car on total H.P. plus you can add that 500 horse once your hooked up and really be out gunning a motor car.....

This is kind of the point in racing isn't it?

ok i have to chime in here first off i dont have a fast mopar (sorry i like just cruising my 64 dart) BUT i do have a very fast bike (2003 triumph speed triple) i am on motor build 3 the first time was based on a stock bottom end (10.5 compression, balanced rotating assembly, 280 duration .400 lift cams, mild port work and lots of little things) and it was fun till i got destroyed by a turbo gsxr.......

so i wanted to go turbo and i did it big, custom cams and low compression pistons, bigger injectors and walbro 255l fuel pump, gt28rs turbo, custom ecu, air to air intercooler,methinol cooling charge kit, and much more i ended up spending a restored bronco (sold it for 8,000) to finance this build and it was scary 8.5 second 1/4 mile 380hp 365ftlbs sounded meaner than **** too.... i was eating headgaskets,injectors,clutches,three front sprokets and honestly it was a complete joke to try and ride around town this thing was useless till about 6,000 then from 6500-10000 it couldnt keep the front end down, it also atracted every jacka$$ kid with a busa or any other fast bike to come and pester me the whole time i rode it.the final straw was one night i went down to the industrial dist to race and while racing a z06 corvette (mostly cause all the little hondas were scared to race him) my wast gate stuck.... my ecu registered 34psi before what it registered as *knock sensor malfunction* *no oil pressure* *cyl 1 misfire*.........

i am now running a fairly built n/a motor dynoed out to 260hp thanks to custom pistons the same 280 .400 cams full ported and polished head,forged and balanced rotating assembly,cutom matched injectors,and bigger throttle bodies(50mm) it makes 260 hp and 255ftlbs i am also running a 100hp fogger and i can honestly say i will never go back to forced induction i can ride this thing all day comfortably and it has a very linear power band and is getting about 25mpg vs the 12mpg i got with the turbo. now the turbo was FASTER (with the nitrous i make about 330 hp on juice) but the drivability trade off was worth it.

oh and by the way its 20 bucks for each one of my 3lb bottles

just my .02

So, what's it run?

Just checked. Nitrous is 4.50 a lb around here.

Steve

-
Back