What Box ?

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As you can see my electronic system I installed in my 170/ 66 Valiant puked all over my inner fender, I thought the resin in the back of it was real soft when I installed it.#-o
Can anyone recommend which box I can change to, I believe this one was a cheapo or something when I bought the hole kit. Yes I changed over to the electronic voltage meter.

I could push my finger in the jelly like stuff when I got the kit.
What box should I change to and I am going to make a nice aluminum pod for it to set on next time 8) Thank you for your help :cheers:

910 4 offy 777777777 028.jpg

I would go with the Mopar Performance Orange box, should be fine for your car!

memike,i have run the orange box on two dif.cars and they both let me sit.one from an auto parts store like napa or advance auto works good and will probly be cheaper just tring to help.Artie

Memike, I would guess there was something wrong with that box from the start. The backing should not feel like"jelly"LOL. Also It looks like you might want to try and ground it a little better. It's hard to see in the pick but it looks like you just sat it on the paint. Did you run a ground wire to it or sand down the mounting area? Just trying to help.

Memike, I would guess there was something wrong with that box from the start. The backing should not feel like"jelly"LOL. Also It looks like you might want to try and ground it a little better. It's hard to see in the pick but it looks like you just sat it on the paint. Did you run a ground wire to it or sand down the mounting area? Just trying to help.
Yes I sanded the two holes on the box and two places where I self tapped 8) Thank you 63dartman, I thought it should have been harder to. :happy10:

I have used the Orange box on all my cars and haven't had any problems. On some of them I just bolted it to the firewall or the fenderwell, but on the Hemi Coronet R/T and the Hemi Charger R/T I hid them so the engine compartment would look more original.

Spend the couple extra bucks for a MP orange box. Then space it up with
something to help cool it.

That's the plan Brian, And I will be going with the MP Orange box :cheers:

Thank you all for the help this morning :cheers:

I have used the Orange box on all my cars and haven't had any problems. On some of them I just bolted it to the firewall or the fenderwell, but on the Hemi Coronet R/T and the Hemi Charger R/T I hid them so the engine compartment would look more original.
I thought about hiding it but was afraid of that gunk leaking under my dash.
I would like to hide it though. Did you just hang it on the fire wall inside the cars ?

i have seen this on alot of cars that people have switched over. i dont know what causes it. but i would hate to have it leak all over a freshly painted engine compartment.

i keep hearing the orange boxes went to crap recently. i wanted to try one from fbo, but i heardthe same about his, and his are "supposed" to be superior to evryone else. mount it underthe battery tray, no one will see it, its away from heat, and it will get some fresh cool air.

Thank you vynn3 :read2: I am reading the story and see the end results :read2:
Very good read and I am going to check this out a little closer =P~
H.E.I might be over kill for me ,but I think it could be the ticket for a good long hot spark and get rid of my ballast resister :happy10: Thank you for this info :cheers: I need it to set in my brain and look for pictures and the system location and cost. This could be the way for me to go too.

Dang Mike,I just sold a orange box for $15,I could have shipped it in the box with the throttle and cable.Things always happen this way!#-o

Dang Mike,I just sold a orange box for $15,I could have shipped it in the box with the throttle and cable.Things always happen this way!#-o
That's ok brother :happy10: You have out dun yourself already :cheers:
Is there s difference between a V8 box and a /6 Box 8)

I have HEI on the 65 Barracuda also Mike. I didn't do it, so I can't help much there, but I CAN take as many detailed pics of what the previous owner did as you need.

That's ok brother :happy10: You have out dun yourself already :cheers:
Is there s difference between a V8 box and a /6 Box 8)

Nope.
Mine did the same thing. I cleaned out all the soft epoxy I could and mixed another batch of 5 minute epoxy and filled it back up. The only reason the epoxy is in there is to force you to buy another box instead of replacing the bad component (usually a resistor, 10 cents@Radio Shack). Take your old box to NAPA and get them to match it.

When the ecu overheats the sealant melts. If you dont clean up the mess the new unit will appear to have done the same thing.
Engineering decides what consistency of sealant is used in different applications. If its a soft gel like substence it's meant to allow some movement, absorb shock, melt at a certain temperature, whatever.
Dont be shocked to find the same stuff in aftermarket boxes.

Mike I saw same thing on a motiorhome ECU just the other day. That plastic stuff running down firewall. I guess it happens more than I knew.

Hey the same thing happened under the hood of my AAR, but still works. Just wipe up the mess. God bless you. Wayne

got it in my dart too! Still works! The previous owner had this happen, never cleaned it up, it is like sap now. Everything loose in the compartment sticks to it. Luckily paint in three weeks!

I thought about hiding it but was afraid of that gunk leaking under my dash.
I would like to hide it though. Did you just hang it on the fire wall inside the cars ?

There are a few places you could put it on the outside and still hide it. On the outside of the fenderwell, under the battery tray, on the front side of the radiator support behind one of the headlights...I even saw one guy cut the bottom out off a windshield washer bottle, paint inside the bottle blue so it looked ike it was full of fluid and bolt it on top of the box...hidden in plain sight

I have converted most of my slants to HEI. As for the goo just run it (scrap the goo up) it doesnt seem to matter what box MP, Auto parts store, Orange ,Chrome,etc. they ALL leak.
I LOVE the extra spark that HEI gives. Best thing GM ever did.:bootysha:
Frank

-
Back