What car for Hemi swap?

-

03ramit1

Reaction score
what would be the best car to do the swap on? one that will require the least ammount of modifcations. it would be nice to have power stearing and power brakes, but not needed. I have a complete 04 ram 1500 that is a doner for the swap. it ran a 12.73 @ 105MPH in the 1/4 and cut a 1.66 60ft.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT2lcfRqoPE&feature=related"]YouTube- speedworld09chris1291[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVEeZLIH93Q&feature=related"]YouTube- speedworld09chris1296[/ame]

i plan on using the motor out of it for the car. i need to find a car to complete the swap. i have arround 3-5K in cash to purchase the car and get the project going. (i have seen a few cars reciently for sale from $600-1800) and figure once i get everything i need off the truck and sell the rest i can have a little more cash to add in to the mix.

so that being said what is a good car for the swap? let me hear the pros and cons to the diffrent years ect. i plan on this being a track car that sees some street duty so comforst is not a big issue.

its an expensive swap. gonna eat up that budget pretty quick. i would think the hemi is a better fit in a b or e body. there can be a lot of different opinions on what the "best" is. as for a bodies, the best bang for the buck is a 73 and later cars, look for one that has disc brakes and a 8 1/4. the later year cars are generally cheaper to purchase and they had the 4.5" bolt pattern, some came with discs and some came with the 8 1/4 which isnt the strongest but will probably hold up fine when set up with the right gears and sure grip. there is a bunch of saftey crap that can be removed for wieght savings. headers seem to make manual steering the only option in abodies. what are you going to run for a trans?

well the hemi for me is a free swap.the truck posted in the vids is goin to donate the electronics and motor to the project. all i need is an oil pan and motor mounts (but ill fab them myself)

for the trans ill hook up a 727. i have my eye on a 67 dart that they want 1800 for. i think the swap is doable. the 3-5K budget will be used on buying the car and parts right away. then as i sell off the intirior, sheet metal and the go fast (ram only) parts ill be getting more money for the swap. so in reality i should have close to 7-9K for a budget but have 3-5K now. the 2 cars i was looking at is the 67 and a 75 duster. i could look for a e or b body but i want the lightest car possable. thanks for the advice. i cant wait to get something going soon.

on the manual steering that is not an issue as its going to be a track car, that will ocassionally (less then 2 days a month) see the street.

the new Hemis fit in all body models without any real problems - so it really doesn't matter which body style you pick. If you want to go faster, pick the smaller car. Otherwise, just go for whatever style you like the best.

make sure you do your homework on the harness and computer before you jump in. i had every intention of doing a hemi t56 swap in my duster but the elctronics side of the swap was a deal killer for me.

make sure you do your homework on the harness and computer before you jump in. i had every intention of doing a hemi t56 swap in my duster but the elctronics side of the swap was a deal killer for me.

what sort of problems were you looking at? the factory ram computer will run the motor even if the trans is unplugged. you will just get a check engine light that will turn on. because it does not see the trans. it has been done in the rams in the past with guys that ran stand alone trans controls. the factory computer and electronics will not be around long its going to be a temperary thing until i can pull in after market fuel injection or run a carb.

well im getting closer i just picked up a 75 duster yesterday. today im pulling the brakes from it and going to visit the local auto parts store to replace everything in the brake system. buying new shocks, all new bushings, and ordering up a roll cage. once all the parts arrive ill start on fabing up the sub frame commectors, install the cage, and get the new brake and suspension parts installed. im also in the process of carefully removing the intirior, from the duster so that it can get cleaned and sold. the motor is about 4-6 weeks out from getting installed in the car and being up and running. ill keep everyone up do date on the progress.

-
Back