What converter to use?

-

69dart440

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 69 dart with a mild low compression 440. Has a small cam, headers, and a 770 holley street avenger carb. The car went 13.3 @ 104. My 60' times are 2.0 if I leave from idle. If I bring it up on the converter it will do 2.1. My question is, should I go with a higher stall converter to get my 60' times down? It seems sluggish out of the hole. My goal is to get into the 12's with this low compression motor. Thanks for any help!

Josh

How's your traction? What rear tire are you using at the track? Are you spinning now and is it more so when you load the converter? How much initial and total timing are you running?

Sorry for alot of questions, but it may help get some better responces.

we need some more info.
Cam, intake compression.
Gearing and tire size.

If bringing it up on the stock converter makes it 60ft worse it sounds like its a traction issue and more converter would hurt. Or bringing it up on the converter is causing a stumble so you need to work the ignition and carb tuining.

Engine power aside, the 104 is still capable of a 1.80 60' and a high 12 sec. pass. Tuning and traction alone should get him there.

Ok, Im using a 255 M.T. drag radial with super stock springs and Competition engineering shocks. Traction is not an issue at all. It doesnt spin at all. It has 3.91 gears and the carb is crisp with no stumbles or anything. I believe timing is 18 initial and 36 degrees total. It really just seems like it doesnt jump off the line. If I hold the brake, I can get up to about 1800 rpms before it starts spinning the tires. Cam is very mild only in the 450 lift range. Compression is no more than 8.5-1. Thank guys!

Josh

Someone told me that launching from an idle can have a little bit higher flash on the converter and give me a little better launch. Dont know how true this is but kinda makes sense why the 60' time is slightly better from idle.

Everything looks good. At this point i think your probably right as far as the converter. Choosing one now becomes the issue. I usually recommened talking to one of the good converter builders for a recommendation. Not sure if you plan future engine mods (more power) but if that's the case i would discuss that also. Get's a little pricey to buy two for different combos.

Yes, the flash stall was helping you some.

Everything looks good. At this point i think your probably right as far as the converter. Choosing one now becomes the issue. I usually recommened talking to one of the good converter builders for a recommendation. Not sure if you plan future engine mods (more power) but if that's the case i would discuss that also. Get's a little pricey to buy two for different combos.

At this point I just would like to get into the high 12's with this combination. What converter companies would you recommend? Do you think my goal is achievable? I see many cars in the 12's with the same MPH.

If the cam is that small you dont need a high stall speed. You may pick up from a new converter being more efficient on the top end though (less slip)

I think all you need is some tuning. Verify your timing then start playing with the carb.

Make sure,to find out steel or cast crank 440.They are weighted differently,something the torque converter supplier will need to know.

If the cam is that small you dont need a high stall speed. You may pick up from a new converter being more efficient on the top end though (less slip)

I think all you need is some tuning. Verify your timing then start playing with the carb.

Ok, I will double check my timing. Do you think the car is capable of 12's judging by the MPH?

I think its got 12s in it without changing expensive parts. If you do change the converter Ive used the 10" Dynamic converter behind a 440 and it worked great

At this point I just would like to get into the high 12's with this combination. What converter companies would you recommend? Do you think my goal is achievable? I see many cars in the 12's with the same MPH.

With the traction non issue and the timing numbers you are already running i doubt you can tune your way to the 12's. More power is always great, but with your current combo you need to 60' at least 1.80. Some secondary carb tuning may pick you up some, but that tight converter is holding you back. PTC, Dynamic, Ultimate and TurboAction are all good places to start for some T/C info. Never hurts to have a conversation with the experts.

Ok, sounds good guys! I am going to check into converters and maybe some carb tuning. I will keep you updated if I make any gains.

Thanks for the help!

Josh

dynamic makes a hell of a converter. they are extremely effecient. my dad has a 4500 stall in his 10 sec. big block demon. he drives it on the freeway 25 miles each way to and from the track. it doesnt heat up on him or anything. feels only a little bit slushy on the street but when you nail it...... look out! he is 60 footing high 1.30's low 1.40 and running 10.60s at 127 mph. sees the street all the time.

As soon as I'm ready to buy one, I think i'll try dynamic. I hear good things about them.

I've attached a sheet that you should fill out (truthfully) and supply it to whomever you're going to buy your converter from. No b.s. on the sheet, and if you haven't dyno'd the engine, don't guess at the horsepower/torque of your engine, because you'll be wrong. I worked in the industry, and when a customer got a converter that didn't work the way he wanted it to, it was usually because either he supplied the wrong information or inflated what he really had. Properly applied, a high stall can be a great additon, improperly applied, they are one of the worst $$$ investments you can make. If you want a recommendation of a good supplier who warranties their product, as well as builds very good converters, send me a P.M.
Anyone who is thinking of getting the proper converter for their car should download this sheet. A lot of mail order companies won't ask you these questions because they DON'T BUILD CONVERTERS, they just buy them from someone else, and many times price(lowest) is the major factor.

Attachments

• 6_HS_Spec_Sheet_Master05_pub_0001.pdf
    197.3 KB · Views: 117
were in pa are you and what track do you run at if your close to me I mite have one you could try...........Artie
I guess my first Question should be what is the power band of your cam.this converter flashes at 3800 behind a mild 440 with a 509 cam and was a bare off the lites.........Artie

-
Back