What dipstick and tube will work?

-

dmaccons

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Sorry it's not an a-body..lol... but mopar related!!
I have a 5.9 magnum that will be sitting on a 2000 dakota frame and chassis(with a 59 D100 pickup body). The engine has a rear sump pan and LA timing cover. The rear sump allows for clearance on the rack and pinion/crossmember. Having a hard time figuring out which dipstick and tube to use. I have a tube and stick for an LA(stick too short) and another tube and stick from a 2000 Dakota(tube too long).
Just wondering if anyone can help me figure out what combination to use or am I just going to have to cut and make my own custom length. I know how much oil it takes to fill so it would be simple enough to do. Was just hoping someone had a known combination that would work.

I know you guy like pics so I have included a few!!

Note: The motor pic was from before I changed to the rear sump pan.

truck1.jpg

20221119_131819.jpg

20210306_101041.jpg

20221118_150954.jpg

Last edited:
Is this a trick question? Use the dipstick and tube that matches the chassis. 2000 Dakota with a 5.9.

Is this a trick question? Use the dipstick and tube that matches the chassis. 2000 Dakota with a 5.9.
He claimed the tube for the Dakota was too long

Personally I would use the tube from the LA, with the stick from the Dakota

Fill her with oil, mark the stick and if needed, trim it

Use the dipstick and tube that matches the pan you used. For instance, if you used a '00 Durango pan, use the '00 dipstick and tube. If it sticks up higher than you like, trim the tube down and take the identical amount off the dipstick and make new marks the same distance from the old.

Thanks guys. I will just cut the tube and stick for the 5.9 dakota and make it fit. Just thought there might be a bolt on option.

That's one cool truck. I think you are on the right track with your last comment.

I'm building a '57 Dodge D100 for a buddy with a shortend 1994 Second Gen Dakota Frame and am wondering about having to cut the firewall and floor pan to fit the engine & trans. What year chassis did you use? Can you post any pictures of the engine installed. Confirm you are using the mid-block motor mounts? Which transmission is that?

heres a dumb question, if one the tube is too short, and the other the stick is too short, what are the odds the sticks got swapped from the tubes?

try switching em over and see if both of em aint perfect

That's one cool truck. I think you are on the right track with your last comment.

I'm building a '57 Dodge D100 for a buddy with a shortend 1994 Second Gen Dakota Frame and am wondering about having to cut the firewall and floor pan to fit the engine & trans. What year chassis did you use? Can you post any pictures of the engine installed. Confirm you are using the mid-block motor mounts? Which transmission is that?
No cutting of the firewall was needed. Used a chassis from a 2000 dakota and shortened the frame 23 inches.
Used the mid block mounts. The transmission is a 46rh. I will post a pic of the engine installed once I get it in there the next couple days.

heres a dumb question, if one the tube is too short, and the other the stick is too short, what are the odds the sticks got swapped from the tubes?

try switching em over and see if both of em aint perfect
The dipsticks never got swapped. The one from the dakota would work but I just didn't like how far the tube stuck up above the engine. I will use the LA tube and cut the Dakota dipstick to the appropriate length.

-
Back