What do you think...Bad trans, or bad converter?

-

flyfish

C8H18+N2O = :-D
Reaction score
Which do you think went south, the transmission or the converter (or both)? I was Racing yesterday in my final race before the division 3 finals (I made the team, so that’s good) and my transmission started slipping in high gear. First pass it went in to 3rd gear solid, RPM began to climb steady like normal, then it started to surge up and down 200-300 RPM. I lifted and aborted the run, got back to the pit at the only thing I could see wrong was the trans fluid level was ~ 0.5 quart low. So I topped it off and ran my second time run. This time there was no surge in high gear, but my RPM’s climbed WAY TOO high. I was doing 6800RPM at the stripe @ 105mph….I normally cross the line at ~6000 @ 112-114mph (4.10 gear, 28” tire….yeah, it was bad).

For those that don’t know, I’m launching the car in second gear (one of many things to slow the car down to run in sportsman). Looking at my time slips, 60’ and 330’ times look normal…1/8 mile times look close to normal (maybe 0.02 slow), but my mph is 2-3 mph low, 1000’ times are over a tenth off...the only pass I made under full power (second time run) it ran 12.25 @ 105. The early run incremental s said I should have run 12.00-12.01.

The trans was rebuilt about 7 years ago, so it is probably due…I’m thinking trans…what do you think? I do have a spare converter to try if needed, but I only have 4 weeks before the division finals so I need to get this fixed quickly….I’m pulling the trans either tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah, I was thinking trans too...was kinda hoping it was a converter issue because I have a spare converter. The trans is coming out tonight or tomorrow...the nice thing is I do have time to fix it before the division finals (looking on the bright side).

If it was the trans slipping, the fluid would be burnt to hell from those R's.
Did you chk the fluid after the slipping?

Not if it was only one or two high gear charges. The seals, plates, or frictions could be going and it will take a while for the heat created by the bad parts to get into a large enough volume of oil to be visible and smell. Every convertor I had that went south made noises of some sort because the bearings came apart, or lost performance in every gear when the fins bent over.

If it was your converter it would have a bad 60'

You might as well pull the pan first, but i can't see it being any thing else.

it shouldn't have anything to do with bands...time for a freshening.you'll see burnt clutches when you pull it apart...steels will be a lil burnt.easy fix.

Not if it was only one or two high gear charges. The seals, plates, or frictions could be going and it will take a while for the heat created by the bad parts to get into a large enough volume of oil to be visible and smell. Every convertor I had that went south made noises of some sort because the bearings came apart, or lost performance in every gear when the fins bent over.

Seen it happen in person.
It burns the fluid within the clutchpack instantly (a couple of seconds) but does not darken the fluid.
Then the fluid smells burned even if it's nice and red.

Totally agree on the converter going and making noises though.

If he happens to use the same converter it should be flushed clean.

I agree with the others that it sounds like the high (front) clutch. Dropping the pan should be an indicator. If it's full of sludge make sure and have the converter opened up and cleaned good and flush the cooler lines real well also. That friction material sludge sticks everywhere.

Edit: Just noticed TB mentioned the converter flush too. Sorry to be repetitive, overlooked it.

Technically, yes. But like everywhere else - particles that make it through the filter build up and then the mass frees up and moves around. I make it a point to use brake cleaner to flush cooler (and lines if they are not being replaced) and have the convertor flushed. It's just insurance IMO but with my luck - I need it...lol.

Holy burnt transmission fluid Batman!! I drained the trans last night and stunk up the garage something FIERCE!...Man that stuff stinks! Going to try to get this thing sent out for a rebuild tomorrow. One of these days I need to learn how to build a tranny, but since I don't have much time before the division finals race, now is not the time....it just feels weird because this is the only part on my car that I have not built myself....oh well, maybe this winter I'll take the time to learn.

-
Back