What do you think of this '74 Dart Sport for sale?

-
Although they only have one feedback from the last year all the ones they do have look really good.

Thats a beautiful car, though if ive never been a fan. That's one that i might have to reconsider.

Jake

Thats a beautiful car, though if ive never been a fan. That's one that i might have to reconsider.

Jake

Agreed, what's not to like?

43031_47e85fbcfa7f_low_res.jpg

Chrysler Blue engine color but the color looks like the late 60s big block turquoise. I assuming it's got some bonding. Even 15K seems a bit much for a 318. I like the bench seat though.

It goes with the Duster/Demons and i guess it reminds me of a Nova and its not as appealing.....

Jake

Too many Barrett Jackson auctions for that guy!:rolleyes:

That car has more issues than what it shows, and it shows some scary stuff. Rivets on the dash VIN are new. That alone makes it sketchy. Recent 100%, complete underbody black paint job? Flipper. Only reason to do that is to hide stuff. And notice the blue overspray in the tunnel? They rattle can-ed the tailshaft in the car, and did a lousy job of it too. Very recent top coat repaint in a light color? Could be hiding a TON of bondo. Maybe not, but it could be. Looks like it was incorrectly tied down at one point using the drain holes in the rear frame rails, see the damage?

That car car might be worth half of what he's asking without the issues I pointed out above. The VIN alone would make it a no-go for me even if it's legally titled. If whoever did the work was willing to take that short cut, there's no telling what else you'll find.
43060_3279fe27156f_low_res.jpg

43063_bc50f842a45f_low_res.jpg

Really great looking car! I love the outside color with the black. Not worth 21,000. I noticed the dash cluster looks like it was out, and some type of work done to it. However on a car this old most clusters have been out and worked on. Might be good at a lower price

Check the numbers in other places- Love the wheels too. Don't worry about the spray paint. I'm sure they tried to match the blue just to make it look presentable

Wrong color..."beak nose"...$21.5 WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over-priced
B1 Powder blue according to the fender tag. Price is unreasonable.
looks great, and turquoise blue is the correct 1974 engine color
Light blue is the correct color. Looks like the engine might be the original paint and discolored by heat cycles.
Chrysler Blue engine color but the color looks like the late 60s big block turquoise. I assuming it's got some bonding. Even 15K seems a bit much for a 318. I like the bench seat though.
Agreed. The oil pan in the under car photo looks like it's been repainted.
Their website is asking $21,500 for it.
That seems like a premium price for sure.
Is the body wrong color?
No, The fender tag reads KB1 which is Powder Blue for 74
Yea, but it's got the super rare 10 bolt rear with 4:11 posi in it!!
Chevy guys!
Too many Barrett Jackson auctions for that guy!:rolleyes:

That car has more issues than what it shows, and it shows some scary stuff. Rivets on the dash VIN are new. That alone makes it sketchy. Recent 100%, complete underbody black paint job? Flipper. Only reason to do that is to hide stuff. And notice the blue overspray in the tunnel? They rattle can-ed the tailshaft in the car, and did a lousy job of it too. Very recent top coat repaint in a light color? Could be hiding a TON of bondo. Maybe not, but it could be. Looks like it was incorrectly tied down at one point using the drain holes in the rear frame rails, see the damage?

That car car might be worth half of what he's asking without the issues I pointed out above. The VIN alone would make it a no-go for me even if it's legally titled. If whoever did the work was willing to take that short cut, there's no telling what else you'll find.
View attachment 1714980221
View attachment 1714980220
Yes, there's some things I see that I don't like. Riveted VIN tag? Only one reason to do that.
Check the numbers in other places- Love the wheels too. Don't worry about the spray paint. I'm sure they tried to match the blue just to make it look presentable
Too bad the painted over the shock rubbers and hardware under the hood. Overall I like the car. I agree with most here that $21,000 is too much. $15 would be more reasonable. I would have to see the car in person before pulling the trigger. tmm

I bought almost identical car, factory paint is faded but no rust or bondo, it has buckets, /6 and 3 on tree. It was $3500 and runs like its new. If I dont get rid of it, i have a 5.2 w 5 speed to go in it. Interior is as clean as that one, and I can do a lot of work for $18,000. I like the correct blue myself, baby blue is a big no in my book.

There's no way it's worth $15k. It's a '74 318 car. Even if it hasn't been completely doctored it's not worth that. Not low miles, not original, totally some kind of flip job done on it. You can buy a pretty darn nice 67-72 car for $15k.

As an owner of a '74, I'd have to say in the current market I'd never pay more than 10k for a 73+ car unless it was an original 340 or 360 car with the numbers matching. If you're gonna spend more than that you can buy a nice 67-72 car.

As the owner of a car that had a flip job done on it before I got it, I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10' pole. There's no telling what all that fresh paint (top and bottom!!!) is hiding. If they'll use the wrong rivits, rattle can a transmission that shouldn't even be painted without masking the tunnel, and carpet bomb the entire bottom side of the car black they'll do a lot worse too.

Last edited:
I look at what it would take out of pocket to get a car to that condition. If you're buying, $7k. If you're selling, $15K. These guys feed their families with the profit they make selling these cars. Of course they are going to ask a lot. They only need 1 buyer that thinks their asking price is reasonable.

Well it seems like that's what the forum is for, it's to make sure our members talk this kind of stuff over before we end up being that guy...
I look at what it would take out of pocket to get a car to that condition. If you're buying, $7k. If you're selling, $15K. These guys feed their families with the profit they make selling these cars. Of course they are going to ask a lot. They only need 1 buyer that thinks their asking price is reasonable.

My guess is this used car dealership probably bought it at an auction for $5-7K. There is probably 132k on the motors internals other than a new intake, carb, valve covers, air cleaner, master cylinder and power brake booster. I would have to see a compression test done.

With everything done half-*** previously pointed out with appearance details makes you wonder. I saw a Hang 10 model few hours away much better for $6,000 but couldn't get my soon to be 16 yo on board with that one.

My guess is this used car dealership probably bought it at an auction for $5-7K. There is probably 132k on the motors internals other than a new intake, carb, valve covers, air cleaner, master cylinder and power brake booster. I would have to see a compression test done.

With everything done half-*** previously pointed out with appearance details makes you wonder. I saw a Hang 10 model few hours away much better for $6,000 but couldn't get my soon to be 16 yo on board with that one.

All of this and more. The more I look at the pictures of that car, the more stuff I see that would worry me as a buyer. Look at the bottoms of the rockers, even they're painted black like the bottom of the car! Not to mention all of the brake and fuel lines, etc. They put it on a lift and rattle canned the whole bottom of the car. You would have to see that car in person, and I would bring a paint thickness gauge or do a magnet test on that whole thing. And even if that checked out I couldn't see spending half what they're asking.

One bright note, according to the fender tag that's actually a J54 car, meaning, the car actually came with a hood scoop from the factory, which has to be pretty uncommon for '74. Here's the decode...

LL29:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop

G4G: 318 150HP(net) or 170HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

287872: Sequence number

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
KB1: Powder Blue Exterior Color
D2X9: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bench Seat, Black
000: Full Door Panels