what drag slicks ? ?

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
73 duster - i have 26x10x15 M/T - dot et slicks
For the street i have 225/60/18's
the tire calculator says these are twenty eight and a half inches tall?
I have maybe a half inch between front of fender and tire.
I have a lot to work on as far as weight transfer and suspension I'm sure, but I would like to start with a good set of drag slicks. I'm wondering if the Mickey Thompson 28- 10.5- 15's will fit well? I'm not getting any wheel hop or anything like that and it is tracking straight so again I would like to start with the tires. ( i.e. where the pavemen meets the rubber? Thank you .....

73 duster - i have 26x10x15 m/t - dot et slicks
for the street i have 225/60/18's
the tire calculator says these are twenty eight and a half inches tall?
I have maybe a half inch between front of fender and tire.
I have a lot to work on as far as weight transfer and suspension i'm sure, but i would like to start with a good set of drag slicks. I'm wondering if the mickey thompson 28- 10.5- 15's will fit well? I'm not getting any wheel hop or anything like that and it is tracking straight so again i would like to start with the tires. ( i.e. Where the pavemen meets the rubber? Thank you .....

hoosier

We used to run Goodyear but soon got tired of the ugly looks and they felt to much like nascar.. And after switching the the Hoosiers they lasted longer and we're just overall a better drag slick.. So yes Hoosier is the way to go

I am a big fan of and have had good success with Mickey Thompson.

If you are concerned about the tire to quarter clearance, space your rear end back a little .

28 inch tire will fit the wheelwell I have a set of 9 x 28 on my 73 duster.

I run a 10X28 on an 8" rim.
I prefer the Hoosier tire, great wear.
Used to run Goodyears, until they elected not to make a new batch 3 years ago.
Switched to the Hoosiers, great tire, out wears the Goodyear.

If you go with the M/T. be sure to run tubes with them.
The sidewalls are not durable enough to run tubeless.

Ran the M/T's on the car without tubes, great for the first few races.
Then they out of no where would spin the tires.

Only had them for a couple of months, then put GoodYears on it.
I asked the guy at Goodyear about the M/T tire concern.
He told me the M/T tire is a good tire & faster than his tire.
The problem with the M/T was the strength of the sidewall, too weak.
He told me if I had put tubes in it, that my problem would have went away.

I have had Hoosiers on my car for over a year now. They only have a handful of passes on them but they have probably around 50 street miles on them. They are the quick time pros but they have not worn much if at all really. They hooked up great on my little 400 hp small block and worn out factory suspension.

I was searching for Hoosiers last night 10 x 29 ...I was in sticker shock at the price of them.

Nhra event next weekend...going to visit their truck at the race track and see .....

I have been running M/T slicks for 25 years with out tubes and I have never had any problems. I was running M/T 28/10.5W on my Demon with a 10 in. rim with the leaf springs moved in 3 in's stock wheel tubs.

Attachments

• Demon 2 001.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 432
I have been running M/T slicks for 25 years with out tubes and I have never had any problems. I was running M/T 28/10.5W on my Demon with a 10 in. rim with the leaf springs moved in 3 in's stock wheel tubs.

Performance wise, agreed. I have run into issues with the sidewalls leaking a tiny amount of air and developing a slow leak from that area. Now that I have tubes, I just go tubeless until the tire demands otherwise.

What showed up on the M/T's that I had, were an X looking mark on the sidewall.
This is what the Goodyear guy pointed out.

He also told me is I was to put tubes in those tires, they would have probably worked fine.

I have a friend with the stiff sidewall M/T's, he seems to like them really well.
He said they reminded him of the Goodyear tire.

I just went with the M/T 29.5 x 10.5s on our Duster replacing the 29.5x11.5 Phoenix that was on there. Were just a shade over $500 off the truck at the track. I could have saved maybe $30 by ordering them online, but having them mount and balance on site was worth it. We've run Phoenix religiously for over 20 years. We switched as most of the high HP racers use the M/T and to be honest.... I felt they earned some of my business as they are the only tire company that has a truck to a lot of the west coast races. They were even at Mopars at The Strip which was not a huge sale for them..... but the truck was packed to the rafters with off road tire all sold as they were heading to Moab after the show. Only have a few passes on them, but with some two step adjustments we were able to put a decent package of 60ft times together on a sun blazed hot track. I need that out here.

about 10 years ago I went with a set of Hoosiers on my Mirada. 17 passes and took them off and went back to Phoenix and my consistent 60 came back. We even adjusted the ladder bars trying to get those tires to work and no go... Perhaps the Phoenix was masking a chassis issue, but if they were.... they were doing it well. tires change, compounds change.... maybe I got a poor set, but I never saw a reason to go back.

X2..ran slicks for one race day...took em' off put the d.r. back on car hooks way better with my m/t drag radials..

He has a four speed, drag radials are inconsistent with a manual trans. I have heard nothing but great stuff about the hoosier quick time pros from both auto and stick guys.

He has a four speed, drag radials are inconsistent with a manual trans. I have heard nothing but great stuff about the hoosier quick time pros from both auto and stick guys.

My car isn't that fast but it hooked great with qtp's.

Your right..i forgot he had a 4 speed..i had a set of the Hoosiers thought they sucked ended up using them in a burnout contest:burnout::burnout:

I was able to document a noticeable improvement in the car's short time consistency (60 & 330 ft increments) by making the switch from ET Street Radials to Hoosier QTPs. Whereas before the car's 60 ft times would vary .02+ during a race day, now I'm looking at consistent passes of less that .01 variance throughout an all day event.

I went to T&T last year and carried my 29.5/10.5W slicks on 14 in. rims and my 315/60 Drag Radials on 10 in. rims. I made about 3 passes with each and ran .11 faster with the drag radials and I was hooking every pass with both. The drag radial is faster than a slick if it hooks. And that was 1/8 mile only. The radial would probably pick up even more in the 1/4 because of less rolling resistance.

I have Hoosers slicks, 29"X 10" mounted on an 8" rim, for top end growth. They have grown and touched the front on the Pass side and the rear well on the Drivers side. I am now using stock dimension, two hole ( highest hole for a street stance) front hangars and 2900 SS springs.
They fit before with B-body front hangars and 3300 lb SS springs since the well was higher from the fattest part of the slick.
I have the slicks on my E- Cuda for trailering to the track for now and they fit perfect. I use a 7/16 wheel spacer for them.

-
Back