• Slant Six Turbo EFI

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 5.2 Magnum

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
-

druid318

Reaction score
So i bought this 1964 Dodge Power Wagon Town Panel. It has 55k original miles, as far as I can tell it has the original slant six engine and 3 speed column shift transmission. It was restored and painted once, around 1997 or so. It has been out in Nevada for a while so the paint is peeling, and it has a couple of spots where old body work is cracking. All in all the truck is in great shape.

I sold my 2014 Challenger RT and my little Ford Ranger, so this is my daily driver. My goal for the truck is to set it up as a people hauler. It currently has a nicely done minivan seat as the middle row. From the factory these could have 3 rows of seats so that is the plan. I'm thinking maybe 3 rows of captains chairs, or going back to a bench with flip up passenger seat in the front. I'm going to put in carpet in the back to cover the wood floor, and add A/C and a radio. Eventually it will need power brakes and power steering, I will possibly swap to disk brakes, but I have not researched doing that with 8 lug wheels.

My dilemma is that while I like the truck a lot, this 3 speed is terrible, and with the 4.10 rear it really feels like it is struggling to move under it's own weight at times. I can see why the truck has so few miles. Basically this thing needs to be altered to be really driveable. I want to be able to take this thing on vacations. I want to be able tow a utility trailer, small boat, or maybe a fairly light car hauler. I want to keep the 4wd, but it is a divorced transfer case, so that doesn't really seem to matter much. I want to be able to drive this thing to the beach, or the mountains, distant car shows, etc.

So I'm saving about 550 bucks a month not paying a car payment and insurance on the Challenger, so if I save a couple of months I have some money to work with. I have thought about a couple of engine combos. I' sure a diesel would be just about perfect in this thing, but I'm ruling that out, as it seems to be more fabrication work than I want to do.

So from my research it looks like I can pick up an overdrive a833od and hook that up to any of the three engines I was thinking about. If I'm missing a better transmission option someone please fill me in, the 833 looks like it should be a drop in on this truck. I see the Passon 855 also, but I don't think I want to spend that kind of money yet, and that might still be an upgrade option later if the 833 is lacking.

Engine options....
5.7 Hemi swap, most expensive, but would give me plenty of power in stock form.
Original slant 6, switch to EFI, hang a turbo off the side. Probably run megasquirt.
5.2 magnum swap. Sort of splitting the difference here. I'm guessing this would be cheapest. I'm thinking this would probably be worse mpg and worse horsepower than the hemi option, but cheaper if I can find one in good shape.

I want power, reliability, parts availability, etc.

Picture of me and the beast.

17910768_10155181574902232_726371577_n.jpg

If it were mine it would get the Gen I 392 Hemi I have that's waiting for a project. I'd pair it with a 518..

I voted 5.2 Magnum because I think it would be the easiest and quickest to install, get running and be able to drive it in pretty short order. My 2c.

Last edited:
Do you think the 518 would require chopping the floor? I think these things would have had the option of a 727 stock. I'm not really opposed to chopping the floor, I worry that a large tranny would interfere with the levers for the transfer case though.

I believe you're right - if it had a V8 (whether poly or 361/383), it would have had a push button 727 in 64. For the conversion I believe I would try to find a parts truck with the Magnum motor and the 4WD 518. I'm not up on 4WD so don't know if the 518 uses the married (or could use) the divorced transfer case.

12V Cummins and a 47RH, solves all of the requirements, plus will net decent mileage.

Thanks for the input guys. At this point I'm leaning towards the 5.7. I would do a diesel or frame swap, but I think that's above my skill level.

If you can do a 5.7, you can do a 12V. Just saying.
Having said that, the Cummins 6bt will put a fair amount of weight on the nose, but you will get better MPG.

If you can do a 5.7, you can do a 12V. Just saying.
Having said that, the Cummins 6bt will put a fair amount of weight on the nose, but you will get better MPG.
I don't know about that. Mopar sells a kit with all the electronics needed for the 5.7 swap. I don't think motor mounts are going to be an issue. The 5.7 is supposed to bolt up to a SBM tranny with a flex plate I think. Only thing I am seeing to fab is exhaust?

I'm just not seeing any of this stuff available for a cummins swap. It would be cool though. I know there is one guy doing one in a similar truck, a 4bt I think.

Also, I'm not scared of the electronics part. I'm a systems admin, and I have some experience with vehicle electronics from a past job.

Don't throw the diesel out with the bathwater. Look into it before you discount it, it might be easier for you than you think.

5.7ltr Hemi. Electronics is not an issue anymore. Reliability is way up there. Parts are becoming cheaper by the day. Bottom dollar, the 5.7 will be less cost than the Cummins overall, at least where I come from.

If it were mine it would get the Gen I 392 Hemi I have that's waiting for a project. I'd pair it with a 518..

I voted 5.2 Magnum because I think it would be the easiest and quickest to install, get running and be able to drive it in pretty short order. My 2c.
I think after making that statement, you should at least put a pricetag on that 392

I think after making that statement, you should at least put a pricetag on that 392

I didn't say it might be for sale although I have had local offers on it - ones that insulted my intelligence (what I have left), to one or two that were tempting!

I've owned it at least 25 years, it took standard everything when rebuilt and I'm just waiting for a suitable project to show up.

402 stroker Poly.
That is the engine I wanted when I started hunting for one of these trucks. I couldn't find one with a poly.

I think a poly with tbi EFI and a 5 or 6 speed would be awesome. Wonder how hard it would be to mate a poly to a nv3500 from a Dakota...

Now I need to find a good Poly...

That is the engine I wanted when I started hunting for one of these trucks. I couldn't find one with a poly.

I think a poly with tbi EFI and a 5 or 6 speed would be awesome. Wonder how hard it would be to mate a poly to a nv3500 from a Dakota...

Now I need to find a good Poly...

They share the same bellhousing pattern as the small block.

How about a 360 or 318 our of a truck somewhere in your area that is rusted to death? Keep it simple or it will get the best of you.
What year did they quit making the 318? 91? So 26 years old. I just assume I won't find one that is in good shape. I don't see many locally at least. I'm not really interested in doing a rebuild at this point if I can avoid it. I put the magnum on there, since it is somewhat newer. Whatever I put in here will be EFI. Carbs are just not reliable for the way I plan to use this vehicle.

I love the 318 though, I would throw one in with EFI if I can score one in good shape.

How about a 360 or 318 our of a truck somewhere in your area that is rusted to death? Keep it simple or it will get the best of you.

I sure am glad not everyone shares your mentality. Or lack thereof.

-
Back