What fuel cell fits nicely in the spare tire well 70 Dart?

-

ramhi4x

Reaction score
Can anyone help me determine what aftermarket fuel cell, I.E. Summit or RCI etc..., fits nicely in the spare tire well of a 1970 2 door Dart?

Thanks! :downtown:

You may just want to take some quick measurements and then peruse the catalogs/on-line catalogs. It should be pretty easy to figure out what size(s) will work for you. I am assuming that you don't want to cut up the well, correct? Good luck.

You may just want to take some quick measurements and then peruse the catalogs/on-line catalogs. It should be pretty easy to figure out what size(s) will work for you. I am assuming that you don't want to cut up the well, correct? Good luck.
Only for the lines.

or u can do like me an cut the car up :bootysha:
motor103.jpg

motor104.jpg

motor144.jpg

If it's the same as a 70 Duster,this cell,which I took out and went back to the stock tank will fit. I can get specs off it when I go to the shop today if you like.

Also, since it was never going to be a permanent thing, I just pushed the plug out of the bottom and ran the hoses thru there. Here are some pics

If it's the same as a 70 Duster,this cell,which I took out and went back to the stock tank will fit. I can get specs off it when I go to the shop today if you like.

Also, since it was never going to be a permanent thing, I just pushed the plug out of the bottom and ran the hoses thru there. Here are some pics

If you can, That would be a big help please. Even if you know who makes the cell and how many gal it is, would get going in the right direction.

Thanks!

I can tell you the Summit Racing 16 Gallon ProStreet cell wont fit.

The one I have measures 20" wide x 15" deep x 8" high. From the top of the cell down to where the 2 pick ups are it's 10" high by 6" wide. I took some pics of but I left the camera at the shop tonight..I want to say thats it's a 10 gallon cell,don't know what brand,but I did buy it at Tognotti's Auto World in Sac.

12 ga is the only size u can fit in there with out going crazy in cutting!
You're right!
After doing a little math to fit a square peg in a round hole, RCI makes a 12 gal cell 17x17x11 that drops right in.

Now, because of the sump hanging down, do I need to make a support for the back half of the cell to prevent sagging?

You're right!
After doing a little math to fit a square peg in a round hole, RCI makes a 12 gal cell 17x17x11 that drops right in.

Now, because of the sump hanging down, do I need to make a support for the back half of the cell to prevent sagging?
No i wouldnt think so your not cutting that much of the car to worry about it the bottom of the tank will sit on the well floor an the sump just hangs out in the hole.i made my first 12 ga tank sit on the floor an built the sump hole around it an not taking any of the weight,so it was just hanging there with no weight on the sump only the bottom of the tank(u get it?) i would put down some double sided pading so the tank wont vibrate under the straps an drive u nuts,an to prevent long haul wearing of the bottom!u get what im trying to say?

No i wouldnt think so your not cutting that much of the car to worry about it the bottom of the tank will sit on the well floor an the sump just hangs out in the hole.i made my first 12 ga tank sit on the floor an built the sump hole around it an not taking any of the weight,so it was just hanging there with no weight on the sump only the bottom of the tank(u get it?) i would put down some double sided pading so the tank wont vibrate under the straps an drive u nuts,an to prevent long haul wearing of the bottom!u get what im trying to say?
Yep, got it, thanks!

Let me know when you get that new monster running in the Dart, post some sound clips if you can.

I mounted a Summit 8 gallon fuel cell in the spare tire well of my 73 dart sport. I fabricated a frame to mount the fuel cell to the floor of the spare tire well out of 1X1 steel angle. Only had to drill four small holes in bottom for 1/4" bolts (mount frame) and a 5/8" hole (fuel line).

Bob

Yep, got it, thanks!

Let me know when you get that new monster running in the Dart, post some sound clips if you can.
U got it buddy as soon as shes running my little bro is all over it with the video an pics he's a nut for pictures an videos thats what he when to school for.
Good luck man glad to help!

MIKEY

Fuel Safe makes a road racing fuel cell that is made just like a spare tire.
They just drop in where the tire goes. I have seen these in Porsche and in BMW cars. These fuel cells are not cheap by no means. But they do save you from cutting up a nice car. Then if you sell the car you can pull the cell and put back the factory fuel system and no gaping hole in the trunk. Fuel Safe's quality is the best.

If any people that make fuel cells are reading this look into make a cell like this. I believe a ecomony version of a fuel cell like this would sell good.
Model SA 124 is the BMW model

Michael

Michael

ATL makes them.

• 12 gallon: 22" dia. X 8" high

Another option is hot rod city garage who makes a fuel cell that mounts in the factory location.

Attachments

• 10685553_10204960777048563_439296892838861523_n.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 331
I had one made at a fab shop to my specs.It holds 16 gallons (per the math). its got an efi pump and VDO sender (speedhut gauges).I reworked the side fill to come in just below the fold down panel (doesn't apply to you?). I had the tank "floor" angle up at the rear to not be seen from behind . the steel straps are secured to the inside of the well and plated where nutserted. I will be installing a top strap after paint. I know its a different car but I believe the tanks are the same. Tank cost me $300 for fab shop to make with baffeling and leak testing and welding a plate in the fuel cell fill ring ,so I could flip it over (to recess the fittings ) and hang the pump from it. Also tank sealer was applied.

forgot pics

Attachments

• 20141013_173805.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 20150118_151408.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 20141013_184723.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 302
-
Back