what in the sam hill do these do? Power stacks?

-
interesting

s-l1600.jpg

Hello fellow ebayer. Up for immediate Buy-It-Now Sale is one pair ~(2)~ of UNUSUAL vintage NOS accessory: POWER STACKS. This neat part was quality old-school USA made of solid aluminum by Exhaust Controls Inc. and were advertised as HIGH-PERFORMANCE Power Stacks that somewhat resembles miniature periscopes. These weird parts were designed to be mounted into the exhaust manifolds in order to: "BOOST POWER ••• RAISE + LEVEL COMPRESSION ••• CLEANS VALVES, SPARK PLUGS + PISTONS ••• INCREASES GAS MILEAGE ••• LOWERS OPERATING COSTS ••• These can be used on just about any old car/truck/tractor/boat/etc. with a six or eight-cylinder engine.

I'm waiting for the Guru's on here to comment on this for sure!

To me, it is a self-inflicted exhaust leak. I was thinking it may work somewhat as an exhaust cutout but its too small to have any real effect.

I think they were designed to pull air into the exhaust.

How can that happen? Exhaust is pushing air out on that part of the engine cycle. Maybe leaning the fuel mixture out somehow? I'm guessing ?

No kidding?:rolleyes: Wonder how many drilled into their exhaust manifold and made a mess of that endeavor?

I like the thought of running it on a tractor. Pointed right back at the operator… Earsplitting, Lol! I’ve had vehicles I’ve called “Monoxodizers” before, but I guarantee that would make one out of anything!

How can that happen? Exhaust is pushing air out on that part of the engine cycle. Maybe leaning the fuel mixture out somehow? I'm guessing ?

Air passing through a restriction experiences a pressure drop.

Besides, I didn't say they work, I just said what I thought they were designed to do.

Imagine the liability and class action suits if someone tried to market this item in this day and age!
:rofl:

Wonder how many people installed them, got on the freeway and proceeded to burn up their underhood insulation and/or hood paint!

it would be cold air too.. now you want to keep the exhaust hot so it flows fast of the pipes.. snake oil salemen were out in force back then i guess..lol
we had a Ford 302 where the heat tube for the choke went into the exhaust manifold. It broke and ended up cracking the valve after awhile...seems like this might do the same thing. wonder if it would work as exhaust for a B&S?

Almost like an air injection system without the pump.
put an anti-backfire valve in, the connection would be down near or in the collector and the valve in the engine compartment. old Car Craft (I think) article had it with a high compression Pontiac running cats (convertors) and passing emissions for a much newer vehicle. anybody remember that one?

In the literature it says "start engine to blow out filings" after you've drilled and tapped the manifolds. Gotta love the raw old school instructions. Today the instructions would tell you not to drink the battery acid.
:rofl:
I saw that too...lol not asking for any trouble there!

Looking at the ad blerb... things do everything from raising compression to cleaning valves. Wonder how they do with tobacco stains?

-
Back