-

69 Cuda 440

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
1965 ~ Formula 'S'

$(KGrHqZ,!lIFI!DKhQZ6BSGiF9IfD!~~60_57.JPG

Exhaust System

* Featuring, the 'Special' Y-Pipe with 2 1/2" Collector-Size Outlet.

* Large Exhaust Pipe

* Low-Restriction Muffler {2 1/4" Inlet x 2 1/4" Outlet}

IMG_5659.jpg

I think it's crazy that the 8 3/4 rear was an option and not "standard" on 65-66 Barracuda's.....even 4-speed commando cars came standard with the 7 1/4 standard rear.....you think the heavy duty 8 3/4 would have been part of the "S" package....same goes for the disc brakes and fast ratio manual steering....those were also an option and not part of the "S" package.

Did all 65 Formula S cars have a tachometer standard? I know in 1966 it was an option.

I had a 65 S 4sp with a 7.25 rear and blew the rear 5 times before i went 8.75 i dont know how many clutches. it ran 14.7s stock except carb from a 383

I think it's crazy that the 8 3/4 rear was an option and not "standard" on 65-66 Barracuda's.....even 4-speed commando cars came standard with the 7 1/4 standard rear.....you think the heavy duty 8 3/4 would have been part of the "S" package....same goes for the disc brakes and fast ratio manual steering....those were also an option and not part of the "S" package.

Did all 65 Formula S cars have a tachometer standard? I know in 1966 it was an option.

As per literature,

The Tachometer {0 - 6000 RPM} was 'standard equipment' with the 'Formula S' package.

1965 Options
* Wood Grain Steering Wheel
* Rallye Stripe

Exhaust System

* Featuring, the 'Special' Y-Pipe with 2 1/2" Collector-Size Outlet.

* Large Exhaust Pipe

* Low-Restriction Muffler {2 1/4" Inlet x 2 1/4" Outlet}

I can remember hearing one in late 65 - one sweet sounding exhaust!

I didn't think they used an actual muffler until 67? The 65-6 model used only the resonator? In 67 it had both muffler and resonator w/273 commando option.

I didn't think they used an actual muffler until 67? The 65-6 model used only the resonator? In 67 it had both muffler and resonator w/273 commando option.

Rocky-JS,

In 1965, the 273 High Performance did come through with a Muffler {Straight Thru Design}.

But, it was a 'hollowed out' Muffler, for low back-pressure and low-restriction.

I did blow up the picture you posted above of the 65 F/S package and saw a muffler and resonator. Perhaps a misunderstanding on my behalf and it was a design change to a more conventional muffler because of the music/noise from the early models. My Black 67 F/S still has the original exhaust on it.

Rocky-JS,

In 1965, the 273 High Performance did come through with a Muffler {Straight Thru Design}.

But, it was a 'hollowed out' Muffler, for low back-pressure and low-restriction.

As per literature,

The Tachometer {0 - 6000 RPM} was 'standard equipment' with the 'Formula S' package.

1965 Options
* Wood Grain Steering Wheel
* Rallye Stripe

My 1965 Formula S (verified with build sheet & fender tag) has no tachometer or wood grain steering wheel, it does have the Rallye stripe. Some have told me it cannot be a Formula S without the tach, all I can say is "never say never" when it comes to Mopars.

Do any other members have a documented '65 Formula S without a tach? I'd be curious to know.

Attachments

• 1965 Cuda Formula S-Interior 2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 739
My 1965 Formula S (verified with build sheet & fender tag) has no tachometer or wood grain steering wheel, it does have the Rallye stripe.

On your fender tag on the ABC line, a "2" under the "C" indicates Formula S package. If a "5", that indicates the Valiant/Barracuda performance package. The wood grain wheel was factory-optional and the Rallye stripes were a dealer-installed option per the factory literature I have.

The In-Dash Tachometer {lower left hand side} was to be 'Exclusive' with 1965 'Formula S' package.

But, if you knew Plymouth.......... ????

There were some boys on the Production Line during the early-1965 Model Year Production Run who
swore that several of the 1965 273 4-Barrel Engines were equipped with a 'special' camshaft from the
Chrysler Marine Division, as they wanted the early 273 4-Barrel High Performance cars to run like
Tasmanian Devil's.

Rocky-JS,

More like a glass pack with a muffler wrapped around it. You could look straight through one.

Eddie,

The Barracuda 'Formula S' package, was first made available to the Plymouth Dealerships
for November 25, 1964.

The 'GT' package for the 1965 Ford Mustangs was first made available to the Ford Dealerships
in late-February 1965.

Rocky JS,

Excellent.........

In late-1964

Plymouth came up with those packages to combat the 1964 1/2 Mustang.

Ford had originally offered the 289/210 HP 2-Barrel 'High Performance' 'D-Code', with the
Rallye-Pak Heavy-Duty Suspension as an 'option for the Mustang.

At the time, the 1964 1/4 Barracuda 273/180 HP 2-Barrel was running in {I/S or I/SA} in
1964 NHRA Stock Classes.

The 1964 1/2 Mustang Hardtop with the 289/210 HP slid into {F/S or F/SA} and was
flooding the Drag Strips with the 'new' Ford Pony Car.

But on September 24, 1964,

Ford introduced the 'new' 289/225 4-Barrel 'High Performance' 'A-Code' for the new 1965 Mustang models.

The 289/225 HP 'A-Code' also fit into the NHRA {F/S or F/SA} Class.

On your fender tag on the ABC line, a "2" under the "C" indicates Formula S package. If a "5", that indicates the Valiant/Barracuda performance package. The wood grain wheel was factory-optional and the Rallye stripes were a dealer-installed option per the factory literature I have.

I appreciate your response. My fender tag shows "31255" which is correct for a 1965 Formula S.

I understand that the wood grain steering wheel and Rallye stripes were both options, as was the small center console which my car also has. I am merely wondering if anyone either owns or has seen another 1965 Formula S without a dash-mounted tach?

-
Back