What is a rusty '66 Formula S worth?

-

SSVDP

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found this '66 Formula S for sale, I know it looks beat up & it is very rusty plus I'm not sure it has good frame rails, it does start and appears to have the 273 Commando engine still in it. Lots of surface rust in the engine compartment and the interior is old with a lot of use. Of course I'm concerned it'll rust away to nothing by next spring but kinda like it. I'd like to make a reasonable offer but don't know what that would be (I won't even mention what he is asking). What does anyone think this is worth? Or is this a fright pig and I should just stay away from it?
FormulaSGaryIn20091.jpg

Check the vin first,make sure it is a S.

The emblem is in the wrong place,someone may have just stuck it on there.

It appears to be complete, I've heard it said trim for those is hard to find.
If all that is there and in good shape the rust is worth dealing with, (Pun Intended).

Check the cowl area as well for rust. If it's been sitting outside uncovered it may be a wreck there too. (ask me how I know!)

I think the emblem should be lower and have the barracuda script above it. (I think)

I sold a real S in better shape than that, but not running for 1,500. I can't say what's that's worth but there kinda hard to find anything for and I may get killed for saying this, but there kinda ugly to me.

Looks like it's got the wider wheels. Take a closer look at the structure for death rust......might be a good donor car. (BTW, my cuda came with every option to make it a Formula S (I believe) but it's not actually a Formula S.....maybe this one too?) If it's not even structurally roadworthy, that should make it ultra cheap.

It's kinda hard to know what to offer not knwing the asking price but,I'ld say start at 500.00 and go up from there. Is it a 4spd or auto? Console or column? Those things will make a difference in the price. If it si an original black car that might make it worth more. My 2cents

Like previously mentioned and as an owner of an restored survivor '66 Barracuda Formula S. Is it an original paint & body car? The Form. S emblem is definitely too high and should have the Barracuda script emblem above it. The motor should be a 4bbl carb & intake....If its original check the exhaust tip to see if it still has the hard to find reasonating 'squared tip' single outlet. That would be a true sign of a '66 Form. S. Most Form S., like mine were replaced with duals because for better flow if the motor's been tweaked. All Form. S cars had the barracuda fish emplem in the center rear window chrome trim NOT the valiant symbol. From the angle of the pick the rally stripes appear to be correct but look newer than the rest of the car giving the appearance that someone tried to clone it. Especially with the Form. S emblem being grossly off mark. These are just a few points. Just a heads up...if your intentions are to make it a show car the cost of rechroming all the pieces is big $$$. I was very lucky in that half of my chrome was in excellent shape. I spent $2000.00 just for the bumpers, rear window chrome & taillights. And had more pieces done. ( I did get a 10yr warranty and its the best place in the Northeast IMO)...not including paint and body work.

Click my link for some pics of a real '66 Form. S http://66plybarraforms.shutterfly.com/

Some quick points/specs. I found for the 1966 FORMULA S BARRACUDA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM SPECIFICATION
Engine: 273 Commando (235 HP S.A.E. Gross)

Transmission: 3 Spd Auto *(about 1700 produced)/
4 Spd Manual (about 500 produced)

Rear Axle: 7 1/4" Std. -
8 3/4" Opt. *(rare in '66 more
common in later A-Bodies),
3.23:1 (apparently most common),
Suregrip (All)

Brakes: Manual 10" Drum Std. -
Manual 11" Disk/ 10" Drum Opt.*

Steering: Aluminum 16:1 Quick Ratio Manual Std.* -
Cast Iron 16:1 Power Opt.

Suspension: HD Shocks
HD Torsion Bars (0.870")
6 Leaf Rear Springs
Front Sway Bar ( 0.6875")

Wheels/Tires: 14" x 5.5" /
Goodyear Blue Streak 14" x 6.95

Instruments: Tach/150 MPH Speedo

Commentary:

The Formula S option package took what was already the best
handling economy platform from the big three and kicked it
up a few notches to a level that would be very acceptable in
a more modern sports sedan. The secret of this great handling
starts with the Goodyear blue streak racing tires and the
increased stability provided by the stiffer suspension. It
doesn't hurt that the excellenet design of the Valiant platform,
with its stiff chassis and close to ideal front suspension geometry,
provides a good foundation for these simple upgrades.

Add the extra power of the Commando 273, the traction
provided by the suregrip limitted slip, the responsive 16:1
steering, and good drum or excellent disk brakes and you have a
VERY nicely balanced package for performance driving.
It also responds very well to the addition of modern tires and
shocks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to TOP document

Good Luck, ZooKypr

Thanks for all of the input.

I talked to the seller on the phone and the car has been in his family his whole life and he's 39, as far as he knows it's all original. He said the frame is sound but the drivers side floor needs to be replaced along with the front seat covers. The headliner has one spot where the stiching is coming undone and he recommended replacing the whole headliner. The car starts and runs but hasn't been on the road in 5 years and at a minimum needs the brakes bled. It is an auto trans with a console. I expect all of the exterior trim to be pitted and worn.

I'm not worried about what he is asking for I just want to make an offer that's fair for both him and I.

And moparsegura I don't think they are ugly but they aren't very attractive either. I always thought they grill looked wrong on the '66 Barracudas, nice looking egg crate grills with a center section with horizontal slats? Seems they ran out of time and money for it.

Personally something ain't right...If its been in the family since new then why is that emblem placed so high and the Barracuda Script emblem is missing??? Are both fenders like that? Maybe it was in a major front end collision in which both fenders were replaced from a 'non' Form. S Barracuda. And who knows what other hidden damage it may have. Personally if the seller can't explain it then I wouldn't buy. (no offense to either party) Without more pics and more info. it's worth $300.00 if non Form S. & $800.00 for Form S. to me.

ZooKypr

a FAIR price would be $1500 on the low side & $3500 on the high side for a REAL formula S driver (driver = complete NO structural rust!) add factory disk brakes and an 8 3/4 sure grip and $5000 wouldn't be unreasonable. there just aren't a lot of real formula S cars out there.

One thing to remember is a 66 has alot of 1 year only parts and can cost more to find parts for than other year Cudas. Trust me I have learned that the hard way.

It would be better if you posted the fender tag and vin so it could be decoded. If it runs and moves its worth 1000. If all the correct parts are there and still work. Does it have a tach or vaccuum gauge? Look close because most folks have to look twice.

The S emblems are odd, but depending on the build date might shed some light on that. But its on the fender tag.

All you have to decide is how bad do you want the car. Then what are your intentions--.
Judging just on the picture alone-- its worth offering at least $800- 1200.
around here I ran into a 2 door Lancer (62 model) in much worse shape but still being driven -- the clown wanted 10K.
so hopefully this owner doesn't have BJackson tv on & think he has a pot of gold, Lawrence

Thanks for all of the input.

I talked to the seller on the phone and the car has been in his family his whole life and he's 39, as far as he knows it's all original. He said the frame is sound but the drivers side floor needs to be replaced along with the front seat covers. The headliner has one spot where the stiching is coming undone and he recommended replacing the whole headliner. The car starts and runs but hasn't been on the road in 5 years and at a minimum needs the brakes bled. It is an auto trans with a console. I expect all of the exterior trim to be pitted and worn.

I'm not worried about what he is asking for I just want to make an offer that's fair for both him and I.

And moparsegura I don't think they are ugly but they aren't very attractive either. I always thought they grill looked wrong on the '66 Barracudas, nice looking egg crate grills with a center section with horizontal slats? Seems they ran out of time and money for it.

Well..... I guess I don't really mean ugly, but there just not for me. I actually loved the one I had for a while but the longer I had it and tried to get parts at a reasonable prices the more I hated having it. I have seen some really sweet one's but they had a ton of money in them. I agree, the grill is where Mopar took a shortcut. Either way, good luck with the buy and all that's matters is that your happy with the car and the price.

That car isn't in that bad of shape!!! If it is a real formula S car and it runs and could move under it's own power, I would be happy if I got it for less than $1500.00. I would be really happy to get it for $1200.00 or less. I'll bet the asking price is over $2000.00 no??? Might be worth 2k if it had some of the good items like disc brakes, the tach and 150 speedo, and 8 3/4. Check if it has the front sway bar, a sure sign that it's a formula S and easy to see. If you decide not to buy it, pass it along to me as I am in Michigan also and would be interested it it. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted. Geof

I agree... If it's a real Formula S, $1,000 to $1,500 would be a good price. It doesn't look bad, it may even be worth more. As mentioned, check the fender tag!!

I haven't taken the 4 hour drive to see this car yet. The asking price started at $3500 and the latest is that $2700 is the lowest he'll go. It doesn't have an 8 3/4 rear end or disc brakes, it has not been driven in at least 5 years and the rust might be really really bad. I like the car since it appears to be an unmolested '66 Formula S car but it's just too much for me right now.

I am pretty sure all Formula S cars had disk brakes, Kelsey Hayes, other wise it would just be a sway bar and thats it. That may be why the S is in the wrong place.

If I were you I would take a pass.

I haven't taken the 4 hour drive to see this car yet. The asking price started at $3500 and the latest is that $2700 is the lowest he'll go. It doesn't have an 8 3/4 rear end or disc brakes, it has not been driven in at least 5 years and the rust might be really really bad. I like the car since it appears to be an unmolested '66 Formula S car but it's just too much for me right now.

TOO MUCH $ For a rusty car.

I have owned rusty vehicles, no more rust buckets, unless they are
to plow snow with.

When I pulled the 273 out of my Valiant, I was able to loosen the
tranny cooler lines, and they did not twist.

What a joy to work on a vehicle that wasn't dropping rust in my eyes, etc.

90ea.jpg

$800-1000 after looking at that picture, I only gave $1800 for mine and it was solid, complete, and daily drivable.....tired, but driveable and reliable

Did you ever get answer for the Form S emblem placed high and the Barrcuda emblem missing...Did he mention any accidents? Like Caveman said very rusty cars are PITA for resto's. Consider the current market value around 20,000.00 for a 'cherry' condition restored '66 Form S with all the goodies...4 spd, pwr disc & pwr steering , sure grip, a/c...So to me $2700. is way too high even if it is a legit Form S car. Unless your going to do your own quality rust repair and prep you may be okay @ 1500.00...

Good Luck, ZooKypr

As above I'd say 1500.00 The rust you see isnt close to what you dont see! I'm in the middle restoring a "rusty" 66 and I can tell you there wont be much of the original car left when I'm done. Balance what you pay with what it will cost to put it back in order!
Joe

A true '66 "S" will have the code on the fender tag. From the bottom of the tag working your way up, you will see an SO number, BP29 with the letters BDY above, P4X(if interior is black) with TRM above and the paint code. The code for the Formula S package is the number 7 directly below the upper case letter F. The "S" package included Commando 273 4bbl w/single exhaust, tachometer,150mph speedo(actually 0-15), HD suspension including front sway bar, HD srings and tb's, firm ride shocks, Formula S fender medallions, and blue streak tires with special wheel covers. Disc brakes were optional on all Barracuda models including the Formula S. The option code for the disc brakes would be the number 9 directly below the upper case letter D.

-
Back