What is correct way to drill holes in fender

-

1974DartSport

Reaction score
My 74 Dart Sport sat for fifteen years and the right front fender was very rusted, so I bought a new fender from an Arizona no rust 73 Dart Swinger. As I instructed, the body work and painting were completed with the "Swinger Emblem" holes filled in, so now I have a new paint job without holes to mount my "DART" and "Sport" emblems. (The left front fender "DART" and "Sport" emblems are installed.)

What size drill bit do I use to drill the holes for the new emblems? Do I drill from the outside (paint side) or from the inside. Somebody told me to place a small block of wood on the metal and get a good start in the wood and keep going until you punch through the metal. All help is appreciated. I do not want to scratch the paint.

Do I need a special type drill bit?

Hey, Randy
When drilling into painted sheet metal, I have always protected the surface from potential scratches or chipping by covering the area with masking tape. I would use one of those brad-point bits to help keep it centered and prevent skipping. As for the size, you first need to determine how the emblems are installed. Those on Aaron's Dart Sport have cast into their backs pointed nubs that press into "barrels" that are first pushed into the fender holes. If yours mount in the same way, get some new barrels and size the bit accordingly.

Come to think of it... since you will be drilling through a painted fender, you will be leaving unpainted bare metal at the inside of the holes - potential areas for developing rust. You might consider putting a dab of seam sealer, silicone, or touch-up paint on the holes before installing the emblems. Just a thought.

Good luck,
Jerry

Exactly like Jerry said, but I dab silicone on the hole and the stud. You should be good to go!!!

You could get in the range of the correct drill bit to use by taking off the emblems from the good side of the car and inserting drill bits to guage the hole size. You might then want to go one size larger to account for paint in the hole.

The guy who installed my windshield said not to use silicone as it promotes rust. Has anyone else heard this?

-
Back