What is it? Clearly not Mopar...

-

SpikeWills69

Live Free or Die
Reaction score
While attempting to clean out my Dad's garage in settling my parents estate, I found this. I have no clue what it is, but my Dad was a major collector. It appears to be brass, and it is large, and "heavy." I would not want to drop it on my toes.

FABO members seem to know everything.

20221021_162108.jpg

20221021_162117.jpg

20221021_162132.jpg

20221021_162211.jpg

Paper weight?

How daunting a task is it clearing out the garage? A lot of stuff and memories or just stuff?

Paper weight?

How daunting a task is it clearing out the garage? A lot of stuff and memories or just stuff?
Yeah, paper weight, LOL. Cleaning out the garage is overwhelming. Dad was a depression survivor, so he threw nothing away. A lot of great memories, but a ton of "stuff."

Looks a little like a Reed block
Any chance there was a 3 gallon 2 stroke engine nearby?

What did he do for a living and what were his hobbies?

Alan
Dad was a Raw Materials Inspector for Bendix/Purolator in Elmira, NY. He loved guns and hunting, DIY of all kinds, cars (Mopars), and he and Mom traveled the country in their retirement, visiting gold mines, silver, copper mines, ghost towns and they were rock hounds. He was a man of many interests. Too many to list here. He did all of his own car repairs until he couldn't anymore, and yes, I held the flashlight a lot as a kid. He was a great Dad.

He overhauled his own car engines on several occasions, and when the poly 318 blew up in his 1958 Plymouth station wagon, we found a Dodge D-500 325 Hemi in the local boneyard and put that in the Plymouth. Put dual exhausts on it, and by chance, when he had to replace the rear diff. it ended up with a limited slip. He always called it the "Bearcat." We took a family vacation from New York to Phoenix, AZ in the Bearcat.

I believe he had it custom-fabricated in the '50s or '60s, knowing this day would come and it would mess with you. "Yes, that's perfect. It's nothing that looks like a perfectly-functional something. It'll drive him up a wall."

Your job now is to pass it to a friend who will do the same thing to his children, then set about having a new custom-machined, worthless, inscrutable trinket made for your own heirs.

I believe he had it custom-fabricated in the '50s or '60s, knowing this day would come and it would mess with you. "Yes, that's perfect. It's nothing that looks like a perfectly-functional something. It'll drive him up a wall."

Your job now is to pass it to a friend who will do the same thing to his children, then set about having a new custom-machined, worthless, inscrutable trinket made for your own heirs.
Ha! I love it.

That is a froster . .

Tree tipping wedge. Cut a slot and hammer it in. Keep that tree from falling on your garage. The cut slot is to drip lube into it while driving it home.

when I look em up they have a 'non sparking' feature. Maybe thats the reason for brass? Its twice the width of the pictured tree wedges.

That is a froster . .

Tree tipping wedge. Cut a slot and hammer it in. Keep that tree from falling on your garage. The cut slot is to drip lube into it while driving it home.
I’ve lived in logging country my whole life. Never seen a brass wedge or a reason to lube one. Going in is not a problem. Coming back out is a problem.

Its a wedge for extracting syrup from a maple tree. No not really. Its a wedge for extracting rubber from a rubber tree. Nope.

-
Back