What is it? Clearly not Mopar...

-
Hi I saw this, and was going to guess felling wedge, but I've never seen one made like that.
I have to think it is a boat part. Maybe an intricate locking device. I know you like boat engines so I had to tag you.

I am beginning to wonder if my Dad knew what it is. Neither of my brothers had a clue either.

Guess I won't get an answer to that anytime soon, Lol.

Serious guess, and it's just that--a guess:

It looks like some kind of rope guide or "chock" for a sailing vessel. Something used to keep a rope from rubbing the deck/hull/etc. in a potentially high-wear or easily-damaged area. I don't mean your cousin Scott's sailboat, either, but a serious Age of Sail-vintage seagoing ship--corvette, schooner, etc. If it is, it's likely a reproduction made but never used for the restoration of some historic vessel or maybe an abandoned prototype. It doesn't seem to show much if any wear.

Admittedly my first guess was much more entertaining and, to me, preferable.

Serious guess, and it's just that--a guess:

It looks like some kind of rope guide or "chock" for a sailing vessel. Something used to keep a rope from rubbing the deck/hull/etc. in a potentially high-wear or easily-damaged area. I don't mean your cousin Scott's sailboat, either, but a serious Age of Sail-vintage seagoing ship--corvette, schooner, etc. If it is, it's likely a reproduction made but never used for the restoration of some historic vessel or maybe an abandoned prototype. It doesn't seem to show much if any wear.

Admittedly my first guess was much more entertaining and, to me, preferable.
That seems like a pretty good guess. What you say makes a lot of sense, but of course I know nothing about the subject you presented. And you are correct, it shows no signs of wear, just some signs of aging.

Sure does look like a tooth out of a box/pan brake...

pan and box brake.jpg

1667174788795.png

Antique drilling jig? Maybe brass so as not to screw up a steel bit.

-
Back