What is this and do I still need it?

-

PinkGT

Reaction score
Do I still need this old ballast resistor? Since I seem to have a nice new one that was installed with my Pertronix distributor upgrade. And what is the little black box with the red label on it?Aftermarket Ignition control possibly (ancient)?

1497657992154554802275.jpg
1497658066263663701661.jpg

1497658320396151091335.jpg

Need the black box(voltage regulator), dont need the ballast.

Jake

Need the black box(voltage regulator), dont need the ballast.

Jake
So do I wire the two leads together? Or do I just put the new ballast where the old one is and connect the blue wire on the new ballast to the coil directly?

I think I'm going to upgrade my distributor to an MSD although the local speed shop sells a lookalike under the brand Performance World. Has anybody heard anything about MSD taking manufacturing offshore? Are they still worth the money?

How does the car run?

Is that what was considered dual ballast?

We need to see more!

The regulator is required but is there two as well?

So do I wire the two leads together? Or do I just put the new ballast where the old one is and connect the blue wire on the new ballast to the coil directly?

I think I'm going to upgrade my distributor to an MSD although the local speed shop sells a lookalike under the brand Performance World. Has anybody heard anything about MSD taking manufacturing offshore? Are they still worth the money?
Post I mentioned, shows you what to do, Yes tie them together.

Your new ballast is in the wrong place. Remove it, hook the coil + wire back to the coil, and hook the new ballast where the old one is now

Car ran alright after the new Pertronix kit went in, however the bushings seem to be shot in the dizzy and caused the hall sender to rub on the puckup. Now it runs rough. So I sort of think distributor upgrade is due.

Your new ballast is in the wrong place. Remove it, hook the coil + wire back to the coil, and hook the new ballast where the old one is now

Agree but how is the other wired?

Car ran alright after the new Pertronix kit went in, however the bushings seem to be shot in the dizzy and caused the hall sender to rub on the puckup. Now it runs rough. So I sort of think distributor upgrade is due.

If it is a chebby junk unit we have seen previously I can understand why! Was this a Mopar dizzy that was upgraded with Petronix?

I have the best ignition I have tried to date for my requirements and it is a Flamethrower III unit in a factory points dizzy.

I did not do what you have shown us however! My factory ballast is bypassed by soldering in a solid #12 copper in place of the compensating resistor behind the ceramic housing. I wonder how yours is wired as it seems you may have a double voltage drop to the coil depending on how it was done. We need to see more info on how the second ballast was fed!

I have the best ignition I have tried to date for my requirements and it is a Flamethrower III unit in a factory points dizzy.

I did not do what you have shown us however! My factory ballast is bypassed by soldering in a solid #12 copper in place of the compensating resistor behind the ceramic housing. I wonder how yours is wired as it seems you may have a double voltage drop to the coil depending on how it was done. We need to see more info on how the second ballast was fed!

I'll snap some photos in the morning and post them. There seemed to be continuity between the blue wires from the old ballast and the blue lead to the new ballast. So yes: possible double voltage drop?

-
Back