What is this?

-
That's your proportioning valve, and it ain't a Mopar unit. Probably Ford.
View attachment 1716264774
Commonly used in aftermarket "fitzall" power brake kits, usually paired with a Ford or GM master cylinder and generic booster.
View attachment 1716264788
it probably is original to the car if it's newer than '74, chrysler switched to this configuration for sure in 1976 (my '76 duster FSM shows it), likely in '75, I bought a GM style one off of amazon when I did my disc brake conversion, had to change one fitting on one master cyl line (to rear brakes), everything else fit perfectly location and thread wise.

I'm not too sure what the oem mopar proportioning valve unit even looks like. Is it something like the one I attached in the pic? I'll post on fbbo to see if I can find a used oem or NOS PV. Thanks guys

View attachment 1716264825
this is for drum brakes and just has the brake safety switch in it. if you already have the newer style prop valve in there, it might be easier to buy a GM style one (what chrysler switched to in the mid 70's) than to try plumb in a '69-74 style one

Hmm... strange. that's a Mopar master (4 bolts, GM & Ford are 2 bolt), but it's a disc brake master, not that it matters too much. Just no residual valve in the port for the front brakes, but it's not absolutely necessary. I's be more concerned with how the (Ford?) proportioning valve was plumbed- if incorrect, that could have a whole bunch to do with why you're not getting any fluid into the lines and to the bleeders.
master cyl was the same w/drums or discs in front in '76, according to my FSM....masters were different if it was manual or power brakes, though....

It would have to come out of one end or the other. Try taking the nut loose on the end with the little black rubber thing and see if it is under that. I was fortunate enough to have removed one that was on a car with a recently (at the time) working brake system, and it worked fine. If there's a plug in the other end, take it out too. You might be able to work the shuttle valve back and forth and get it out. It's probably got dried out and stuck O rings.

Edit: Not sure if this is the video you saw, but it's the same K-H valve you have. If you can find a Cordoba, Magnum, or Charger from the late 70's, they have the same valve. You might get lucky if the still have brakes and they could have the 11.75 rotor brakes. All you'll need is the caliper brackets if your car is 73 and up. If it's 71-72, grab spindles and all for a cheapo big brake upgrade!

5th ave and diplomat ones will work, too....the specs for rear cut off pressure, etc. are all the same between non-wagon and non cop/taxi A, B, F, M, J (cross verifying with my '76 and '85 manual)

He rigged up the thing and pushed it out with a grease gun. wouldn't be hard to do. :thumbsup:
Yeah I got that part out, I just don't know how to get out the shuttle valve. Someone who rebuilt theirs told me to blow air from one side and as long as the air comes out on the other side, I should be good to leave it in. Thanks!

master cyl was the same w/drums or discs in front in '76, according to my FSM....masters were different if it was manual or power brakes, though....
Thanks for all the info pat. I should be able to rebuild the original prop valve fairly easily. I'm gonna work on it tomorrow. The thing that might be a pain is flaring the brake line that goes to the passenger front caliper while the line is still routed all the way to that caliper. When I was taking that line off the prop valve, I had to break it off because the nut was too far seized. I traced the line and it's routed pretty nicely but it would be tough to get that line out and re-route a new one. I only took off like an inch from that brake line so I'm hoping I can flare it while it's still routed and connect it back to the prop valve after it gets rebuilt.

The thing that might be a pain is flaring the brake line that goes to the passenger front caliper while the line is still routed all the way to that caliper.
If you decide to flare your own brake lines, remember…

IMG_8016.jpeg

when I did my suspension rebuild/disc brake swap, the right side front line was the same way to the front brake hose. I cut it back about 3-4" where it was easy to get at to flare on the car, bought a short piece to bend how I needed it, and used a coupling to join the 2

FWIW, here's details on master cylinders and prop valves from my FSM. VL is A body, HN is F, RSWX is B, PDC is C. note the geometry of the prop valve.

MC_76FSM.jpg

prop_valve-76FSM.jpg

Sorry about that, don't know how I didn't include it. 1973 roadrunner with a 340. I'll try to get it off tomorrow and order a replacement mopar unit. I'm dreading going under the car to change the brake line but I'm sure that's gotta get replaced too.
JDMopar provided the first correct answer. While its true the automobile manufactures sometimes bought the same products from the brake manufactures, so that valve may have GM/Ford/AMC/IH applications too. My point is the metering valves were used on the mid size Chrysler products.
Your proportioning valve is what would have come on your Roadrunner. I've had plenty of 72-73 Challengers and Cudas with that exact same valve. You can clean it out and rebuild it. I've got one just like it on my 71 Challenger conv. That car will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change!

Metering valves hold off the initial pressure to the front brakes to reduce front wheel lock up on ice, etc.
MTSC 70-9 Brake Hydraulics 1970 Chrysler Imperial Hydraulic Brake Service Guide from the Master Technicians Service Conference Session 274

1972 Brake System Hydraulic Controls fo B-bodies
1719070035186.png

snip from
MTSC 72-4 Disk Brake Service Roundup, page 13

Regardless, since the problem is with the rear brakes, the problem is not the metering valve but something blocking the passages to the rear. It could be in the block or anywhere between the master and the wheel cylinder.

Crowd source summary sheet and photos of Master Cylinders - Work in Progress

Not much definative yet on late A-body masters.

JDMopar provided the first correct answer. While its true the automobile manufactures sometimes bought the same products from the brake manufactures, so that valve may have GM/Ford/AMC/IH applications too. My point is the metering valves were used on the mid size Chrysler products.

Metering valves hold off the initial pressure to the front brakes to reduce front wheel lock up on ice, etc.
MTSC 70-9 Brake Hydraulics 1970 Chrysler Imperial Hydraulic Brake Service Guide from the Master Technicians Service Conference Session 274

1972 Brake System Hydraulic Controls fo B-bodies
View attachment 1716265912
snip from
MTSC 72-4 Disk Brake Service Roundup, page 13
[/URL]

Regardless, since the problem is with the rear brakes, the problem is not the metering valve but something blocking the passages to the rear. It could be in the block or anywhere between the master and the wheel cylinder.
Thanks for the info. I'll put my prop valve back together after cleaning everything and I'll do that test to measure psi between the master and prop valve and outlet of the prop valve. There's only one brake line going under the car and to the "T" which then splits the pressure to either side right? So could I just blow air into the line that goes under the car and make sure that the air is coming out of both bleeders? If it is then the issue has to be with the connections going to the master/prop valve right?

Thanks for all the info pat. I should be able to rebuild the original prop valve fairly easily. I'm gonna work on it tomorrow. The thing that might be a pain is flaring the brake line that goes to the passenger front caliper while the line is still routed all the way to that caliper. When I was taking that line off the prop valve, I had to break it off because the nut was too far seized. I traced the line and it's routed pretty nicely but it would be tough to get that line out and re-route a new one. I only took off like an inch from that brake line so I'm hoping I can flare it while it's still routed and connect it back to the prop valve after it gets rebuilt.
mine broke on the caliper side (see arrow)...I bought a short piece of line with fittings on both sides and bent the loop, then cut back the line on the car around where the red circle is, put a nut on it and flared it, then used a union like one of these to connect it up: Amazon.com you might be able to find a relatively accessible and straight section on your existing brake line to be able to do the same instead of remaking the entire line.

1719145360221.png

mine broke on the caliper side (see arrow)...I bought a short piece of line with fittings on both sides and bent the loop, then cut back the line on the car around where the red circle is, put a nut on it and flared it, then used a union like one of these to connect it up: Amazon.com you might be able to find a relatively accessible and straight section on your existing brake line to be able to do the same instead of remaking the entire line.

. View attachment 1716266274
That's a great idea, I'll see if I can do the same. The thing is, I barely cut any line off from the existing brake line. I cut it very close to where the line goes in the prop valve so I'm thinking that if I bend the line differently, it'll be able to hook back up. I probably cut like an inch or two off. If it doesn't reach no matter what I do, I'll definitely try your idea. Thanks!

-
Back