What it's worth (WIW) '68 Barracuda fastback

-

RzeroB

Reaction score
As you know, I've been out of the hobby for a while and I'm now trying to get back in. I am in negotiations to buy the '68 Barracuda fastback you see here in the pictures (and there are more pics in the attached Photobucket link). Quite frankly, I really don't know how to estimate what it may be worth. So I thought that I would ask you all for your opinions. If I am posting this in the wrong forum, Mr Administrator feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

Originally it was a 318 car. Now it sports a '70 340 with a 727 behind it and a 3:23 geared 8.75 rearend out back. The car looks and shows extremely nice. There is no rust and the paint is a 15 year old lacquer job that shines like new. Basically it doesn't need much of anything but a new home.

As you can see it is not a "correct" restoration. It's kind of a semi-custom "resto-mod". There are a lot of custom features - especially with the interior. I really like the aftermarket AC - have you ever seen a cleaner AC installation under the dash? Some of the 40+ year old wiring harnesses were in poor shape, so the guy had the whole car rewired - everything from bumper to bumper was gone through. You can see some of the custom rewiring in the engine compartment pics.

I'm really jazzed about it. But that's a bad thing cause it's hard to remain objective when you are getting all excited about something. What's it worth? I'm not sure. I've looked around on the internet but prices are all over the map. So I was hoping that you guys could help me gauge what it may be worth?

68_right_front.jpg

68_interior_right.jpg

68_engine.jpg

Link to more pics of the Barracuda

http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/tomravak/slideshow/Mopar Barracuda

It's a beautiful car with a lot of attention to details IMO. The Mopar purists might not like it, but I do LOL

Maybe 20K +/-

You must know what the seller is asking for the car?

That is one sweet ride !!!! could you give me the guy's phone number??? Hey a guy's got to try--Steve

It's a beautiful car with a lot of attention to details IMO. The Mopar purists might not like it, but I do LOL

Maybe 20K +/-

You must know what the seller is asking for the car?

I agree with 6pak2goD.

Not stock at all but sure looks clean and sounds like a great cruiser to have fun with. Good luck !! :glasses7:

Yeah, he's asking in the high teens. It is super nice for what it is. I just don't know how to evaluate the "custom" features. They are done really nice but do they detract from the value of the car as opposed to if it had been "correctly" restored? I tend to think not since they are not over the top and are very professional and clean looking in their installation but?? I don't know how stuff like that is viewed by the general Mopar community. I mean, how do you compare the value of this car to Ken Mac's car (http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=251489&highlight=1968+barracuda+argent) which is beautiful restoration? Maybe you just can't as it is like apples to oranges?

I would have to repaint under the hood.But over all looks like a nice car.I would say 16K-18K.Anymore than that I would look for a 340-s car myself.

Factory correct or not, I feel it all boils down to you. If you like it then get it. High teens is way less than than stressing out if every nut, bolt, knob is factory correct. I'd get it.
Luke

Oh I like it - a lot!

I don't really care if it is "correct" or not - I like it the way it is.

My main concern is if I had to part with it, would I be upside-down on it? I am assuming of course that I manage to keep it in as pristine condition as it is now. So that begs the question - if it was available to you, would you go high teens for it or not?

Oh I like it - a lot!

My main concern is if I had to part with it, would I be upside-down on it? I am assuming of course that I manage to keep it in as pristine condition as it is now. So that begs the question - if it was available to you, would you go high teens for it or not?

No, but then again I am a purist when it comes to interior and body related componets.

Yeah, he's asking in the high teens. It is super nice for what it is. I just don't know how to evaluate the "custom" features. They are done really nice but do they detract from the value of the car as opposed to if it had been "correctly" restored? I tend to think not since they are not over the top and are very professional and clean looking in their installation but?? I don't know how stuff like that is viewed by the general Mopar community. I mean, how do you compare the value of this car to Ken Mac's car (http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=251489&highlight=1968+barracuda+argent) which is beautiful restoration? Maybe you just can't as it is like apples to oranges?

When you say the word restored, you are implying restored to stock.

This car is a custom modified car. Would you use the termed "restored" on a Hot Rod 32 Duece Coupe?

It is very tough to value a customized musclecar. A lot will have to do with the quality and details of the modifications and work done. How well done are the customizations. Similar to a car restored to stock.

Usually the milder, the less obtrusive, the less over the top the modifications are the easier it is to sell and usually that gets a higher price.

I think the exterior of the car is a pretty mild custom. The engine is fairly custom but very common and palletable for most. Not real tricked out. Basical bolt on chrome stuff: GM master/booster conversion, aftermarket air, chrome, polished... For instance, a little more tricked out and higher quality custom install of the A/C would be to run the lines inside the passenger wheel well and hide the lines for a more cleaner look. The aftermarket wiring is tidy, but the next level would be hiding it more. The aftermarket wiring is nice and new, but those kits seem to have thinner gauge than stock. You can get all new stock wiring for that car, but it is more expensive than the universal or semi universal kits. It's the cheaper alternative.

The interior is pretty custom, IMHO. And it's pretty unique and not going to be what I think most would choose do to custom-wise. It looks like it was done in a style that was popular 15 years ago. Makes sense, that's when it was painted. That's a issue with customizing cars, the trends change and make old trends look dated. If you like it you have two advantages: #1) You like it #2) Other potentional buyers don't like it.

Bottom line for the intentions of being a mild custom 68 Barracuda, I don't think it's the same quality level as that 68 Barracuda S 4spd intentions to look stock. Look closely at the detail quality: are these parts dent, scratch free and polished/chromed restored: trunk trim, headlight/grille trim, stainless around windows, wheel lip moldings, tail light chrome.

IMHO, this custom 68 Barracuda is a 13K-18K car. I can't open the photobucket link. Look at it real closely underneath for patch panels hidden hooky repairs. As will any car.

Also note the exhaust manifolds are 318/273 not 340. So make sure to read the stamping on the front of the block under the drivers side head to confirm it is a 340 block.

Does it not have heat and defrost? Won't that be an issue in St. Louis?

Edit: I now see what appears to be some kind of heat system.

I thought the same thing when I noticed that the heater blower motor was not sticking into the engine compartment.

According to the owner, it has a complete aftermarket heater/AC system under the dash (and hood). Like I mentioned previously, I really like how clean and integrated the AC air outlets system is under the dash - looks better to me than that factory "box' that hung under the center of the dash.

Whatever it is worth, I like it. I think somebody did a nice job on it.

It's awfully easy to get upside down on cars. I think this car is gorgeous. But, if you've been watching prices you know that the vast majority of A-bodies don't seem to hit the high teens on websites where they're being sold. Getting this car done to the state it's in surely took close to that price (probably more). Market prices fluctuate. If this was a Formula S or a factory big block/hemi car obviously it would be likely to bring more $$. If it were me wanting to buy the car to flip, I wouldn't want to go over 15k. I know that's below the value of the car but if you give what the car is worth you diminish the likelihood of getting your money back down the road. If I were buying the car because I wanted a '68 and liked the way this one was set up, I'd say the price is pretty good. Most cars I've bought, I bought because I WANTED them. I tried to figure out how much it would cost me to replicate, and if it was more than the asking price I'd figure it was a good deal. As I said earlier, this car looks really really good.

It is very nice. It all comes down to what are you willing to pay for it? It is only worth as much as you are willing to give for it. Are you buying it for an investment or to drive and enjoy? If its not full of mud and is a 340 mid teens is reasonable I would think. Buy it and enjoy it.

Bottom line for the intentions of being a mild custom 68 Barracuda, I don't think it's the same quality level as that 68 Barracuda S 4spd intentions to look stock. Look closely at the detail quality: are these parts dent, scratch free and polished/chromed restored: trunk trim, headlight/grille trim, stainless around windows, wheel lip moldings, tail light chrome.

Good points indeed. The quality of the items you mentioned are exceptionally nice. The chrome and trim are brilliant and shine as well as the paint.

Also note the exhaust manifolds are 318/273 not 340. So make sure to read the stamping on the front of the block under the drivers side head to confirm it is a 340 block.

It is a 340 with a '70 date code cast into the side of the block. I did not however pick up on the manifolds being of the smaller ported 273-318 type. After some thought it occurred to me that maybe I don't really know what I'm looking at as far as manifolds go. Is there an online source that I can check the casting numbers against??

Im a stock/numbers guy, but that is very nice and looks to be quality work. Underside pics would help. Oh yeah if you can get more pics of the steering wheel! I like it!

Part numbers for xhaust manis for 70 are 2863545 and 2863552 these are part #'s. casting numbers could vary by 1 number usually

It's awfully easy to get upside down on cars. I think this car is gorgeous. But, if you've been watching prices you know that the vast majority of A-bodies don't seem to hit the high teens on websites where they're being sold. Getting this car done to the state it's in surely took close to that price (probably more). Market prices fluctuate. If this was a Formula S or a factory big block/hemi car obviously it would be likely to bring more $$. If it were me wanting to buy the car to flip, I wouldn't want to go over 15k. I know that's below the value of the car but if you give what the car is worth you diminish the likelihood of getting your money back down the road. If I were buying the car because I wanted a '68 and liked the way this one was set up, I'd say the price is pretty good. Most cars I've bought, I bought because I WANTED them. I tried to figure out how much it would cost me to replicate, and if it was more than the asking price I'd figure it was a good deal. As I said earlier, this car looks really really good.

Excellent points. No, I'm not looking to buy it to flip. I am interested in it to enjoy for maybe the next 5-7 years or so. I intended the reference to selling it to mean if I encountered some kind of a hardship (i.e. lost my job) could I possibly get my money back out of it if I had to.

I've lost more money on muscle cars than I care to remember! The nice thing about this car is that it is a turn-key driver - it doesn't need anything. I looked at some other cars that needed various levels of work to bring them up to the level of this car. Honestly, I don't think that I could build those cars for less than what this guy is asking for this car.

Part numbers for xhaust manis for 70 are 2863545 and 2863552 these are part #'s. casting numbers could vary by 1 number usually

Okay, and these should be the numbers cast into the manifolds right? Excellent! Thanks!

Looks Great! I like it a lot. If you can find a small block mopar expert who knows Barracuda's in your area I'd pay him to put it on a lift and check it out more thoroughly...prepurchase inspection...maybe look at compression too. It's Really cool looking and you'd easily have that much $$ in it...if it's done up right(quality work, you're obviously not a purist)-paint, bodywork, undercarriage, etc I'd buy it before someone else does. Good luck-let us know what happens.

Good points indeed. The quality of the items you mentioned are exceptionally nice. The chrome and trim are brilliant and shine as well as the paint.

It is a 340 with a '70 date code cast into the side of the block. I did not however pick up on the manifolds being of the smaller ported 273-318 type. After some thought it occurred to me that maybe I don't really know what I'm looking at as far as manifolds go. Is there an online source that I can check the casting numbers against??

Are the heads X heads casted near the spark plugs.

Here's a 340 exhaust manifold sets:

!BTyzBbgCGk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLmYmWCBKKU,hS32Q~~_35.JPG

attachment.php

Here's a 318 manifold sets that looks close:

$(KGrHqZHJDoFHiiqc3z8BR-Y+JGdew~~60_37.JPG

attachment.php

-
Back