What kind of food do you feed your dog?

-

porksoda

Reaction score
Well I just recently was given a puppy(10 weeks old/I think its a boxer mix).
I have been doing research on what food to get and I came across a website that had a bunch of information on different dog foods.
I was going to just buy some Purina Puppy Chow over at Walmart until I saw how bad it was. Looks like alot of the big name brand foods for dog are not very healthy for our pets. Its funny now to look at dog food after reading on this site. Alot of dog food like "puppy chow" is mainly made from Corn and other Grains. The ideal kind of food for dogs should hopefully have actual meats in the food. So when looking at dog food ingredients look at the first few ingredients. From what I understand the first 4-5 ingredients take up the majority of food. So if the food starts with "corn, wheat, or other grains" its really not to beneficial to our dogs. I am starting to try to look for food that has at least have some kind of meat in the first 2 ingredients. Well I hope this helps all of you guys out!
Take a look at the link below and see how you dogs food ranks.

Link:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

So what kind of Dog Food do you feed your dog?
How much daily?

Currently I am feeding my dog NutriSource Dog Food (Small and Medium Breed Puppy Chicken and Rice).
The price isn't too bad for a 4-star quality dog food.
I feed my dog 2 cups a day (one around lunch and one around dinner time).

Edit:
I found a link that breaks down most dog food by prices/pounds/formula.
Its pretty cool if you are pricing around for dog food.

Link to prices comparisons:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmNw5KB82-n_dGtyOEpVVXhPQ2tfeU1FUGdEdjVnTkE&hl=en#gid=0

Talk to Memike, his dog Buddy is a Boxer, Mike knows what food is best.:study:

My dog only eats crunchy peanut butter, He will not eat anything else..........................Just kidding, I don't have a dog. MMG

I feed all 4 of my dogs Taste of the Wild. You can get it at Tractor Supply. I was looking for the best food also and found it to be one of the top 3 brands recommended. Look'em up they are really good. Another good brand is called Blue.

I'm currently feeding mine Nutro's Natural Choice. It is only a three star food going by that list. Might have to research some of the others. Three stars isn't bad and it was definitely a better choice than most of the grocery store name brand foods.

We fed ours the high rated dog food. They liked it but liked cat food much better so it was a pain to keep them out of it. We finally gace up and they ate cat food. I guess it worked becasue our last Yorkie lived to be over 18 years old and still got around like a young pup. The youngest yorkie that died was 16. She went blind at about 17 1/2 years old but knew her way around so we let her live out her days. She had her steps to get on the bed and still used them blind. One morning we woke up to find her on the floor where she had passed away during her sleep. She was never sick to where she needed to be treated by a vet during her life. We tried the high quality dog food on the new Yorkie and she went for the cat food also so here we go again. The oldest Yorkie now is 8 years old. We went with Royal Canin Puppy 33 when we got our newest Yorkie and it also went for the cats food so we have given in.

We fed ours the high rated dog food. They liked it but liked cat food much better so it was a pain to keep them out of it. We finally gace up and they ate cat food. I guess it worked becasue our last Yorkie lived to be over 18 years old and still got around like a young pup. The youngest yorkie that died was 16. She went blind at about 17 1/2 years old but knew her way around so we let her live out her days. She had her steps to get on the bed and still used them blind. One morning we woke up to find her on the floor where she had passed away during her sleep. She was never sick to where she needed to be treated by a vet during her life. We tried the high quality dog food on the new Yorkie and she went for the cat food also so here we go again. The oldest Yorkie now is 8 years old. We went with Royal Canin Puppy 33 when we got our newest Yorkie and it also went for the cats food so we have given in.

Side note we put the cats food and water in the bath tub so our dogs cant get to it.

Ha yeah I have a Pure breed Siberian Husky best dog I have ever had, got him from the Humane Society, and he LOVES the cat food, although I think it is his master plan to make them die of hunger...anyway I had tried ALL of the so called best foods and he would not touch ANY of them I spent I don't know how much trying to get him to eat the "good" food to no avail, then for ***** and grins I bought a bag of Purina Benefull and he does eat that instead of the cat food, for the most part, I still think he is trying to starve the cats..good luck with your new Puppy!!!!

Attachments

• purina.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 194
I normally feed mine Taste of the wild. But I had to cut back to Ol Roy I add a little meat to it.

I work at a feed store that has Nutrena brand feed so thats what my dog gets. We have 5 different kinds of Nutrena dog food. My dog gets what ever bag is dameged the day I need food.

I fed a Lab I had Beneful his whole life. He lived to 16 years before I had to have him put down. I've been feeding my new dog Kahoots brand. It uses rice, lamb, chicken, and pork instead of corn and whatever most brands use. It's price is about the same as most regular foods. I think the brand might not be available everywhere because it's a fairly new local company and small chain of pet stores.

Side note we put the cats food and water in the bath tub so our dogs cant get to it.

HMMM!! That idea never crossed my mind. I kept only putting it down when the cat came inside to eat and the dog would run the cat off. The cat is so timid we have to feed her inside or the other cats run her away from her food and she doesn't get to eat.

Wow, I pay $38 for a #50 bag of PMI Canine Advantage and it aint even on the list. My 10 yr old Lab female gets along real will on it plus all the scraps of deer legs she happens onto.
Small Block

Mack is a pain in my royal ***, breed typical with sensitive skin, I started with "decent" stuff and worked my way up when after a bag it didn't work i'd try something else. Finally found something that works amazing, his coat has never been shinier, no dandruff, no balding spots. Stuff is pricey 50 for a 30lb bag. but has been well worth it.

51ZmCuQMKDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My two Rat Terrier dogs eat Solid Gold. One is 19 and will be 20yrs old this January and the other is 16 weeks old. Last vet checkup yesterday morning doc said my 19 yr old was in great health. Mind you, the Solid Gold food isn't cheap but than again neither are Mopars..

purina proplan started with puppy type then switched to the adult type after one year she still runs around like a pup after 6years.

Dog food information
Dog food reviews and ratings
Home Information Dog food reviews Frequently asked questions Forums About DFA

Artemis Fresh Mix: 5 formulas updated and reviewed. See 5* category.

Changes to Orijen formulas: new reviews posted.

New Orijen Regional Red formula added to the site, reviewed in the 6* category.
Go! Natural products updated and reviewed.

Go! Natural Duck formula added and reviewed in the 4* category.

Blue Wilderness formulas updated and reviewed.
Dog Food Analysis - for independent reviews of dog food products
We have an index of reviews now!

Welcome to Dog Food Analysis! Your independent site for dog food information and reviews.

Created as a resource for Boxerworld members, Dogfoodanalysis has been online since 2005 and continues to be updated periodically. On this site, you will find information about the contents of +1500 dry dog foods, along with ratings and reviews. For more information about the site, visit our frequently asked questions page. We make some suggestions for wider information and resources on the info page.

The food information, ratings and reviews can be accessed by clicking on the reviews tab at the top of the page. The purpose of DFA remains that of providing an assessment of the various commercial foods available, based on the product information provided by the manufacturers.

For those who'd like to discuss dog food products, have general nutrition questions or experiences to share, a link to the forum of our parent site BoxerWorld.com is included (owners of breeds other than boxers are welcome).

Sick of dog food and want to read about something more appealing? Click here for restaurant reviews.

HomeInformationReviewsForumsTerms of usePrivacy policy
Copyright © 2005 - 2009 DogFoodAnalysis.com. All Rights Reserved.

Pure Bred Husky gets Blue Buffalo Life Protection. It ranked 4 stars. He is 10 years old and acts like he is 2.

My dogs get the Purina and Old Roy brands. Currently costing $20 bucks for about 45 pounds. I think for the most part the so called good dog food is over rated and over priced. My current and past dogs have lived long heathy lives on the cheap stuff.

My dogs get the Purina and Old Roy brands. Currently costing $20 bucks for about 45 pounds. I think for the most part the so called good dog food is over rated and over priced. My current and past dogs have lived long heathy lives on the cheap stuff.

You maybe right,my dog has gained weight on Ol Roy

People have survived well on Mcdonalds and fast food, some even look fine doing it, doesn't mean its healthy. My roommate survives off of junk food and Pb&j, never works out and still has a 6pack and is cut...

-
Back