What Modification Do You Regret?

-

oldkid

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day about some of the radical alterations we make to our cars in order to make them match the vision in our heads.
Let's hear your stories! What did you do? Why'd you regret it? And did you do anything to "fix" it? Pics are always appreciated.

Oh, this is a topic I kick myself for just about every day. Not my current '69 Dart, but the first one I had that I bought used back in November 1969.
Bought a 2-month old 340 Swinger from a guy that had just enlisted in the Navy and his parents wouldn't keep the payments up for him while he was in. As was typical back then, did lots of "Day 2" mods right after buying the car: Cragar S/S mags, wood Grant steering wheel, aftermarket guages under the dash, tach, etc. Drove the car like this for a couple of years and had a blast with it. Cruised Whittier Blvd. Raced it at OCIR.
The really stupid part came about 10 years later when I decided to make a pure race car out of it - never had the foresight to realize what was then just a 10+ year old car would someday become a valuable "survivor".
So, cut the trunk out and backhalved the car, narrowed the rear, aluminum tubs and stretched rear wheel openings to run 14.00x32 slicks, full aluminum interior, fiberglass removable hood and front clip, nasty W2-headed 340, 6-point roll bar. Almost got it ready to run NHRA Super Street on a 10.90 index.
Then went through a divorce totally unrelated to the car. Kept the house, the kids, and the car but didn't have the money as a full-time single parent to finish it.
Got re-married about 8 years later and current wife didn't have the motorsport interest my "ex" had, so the car continued to sit unfinished. Got even stupider during a minor financial issue and sold the Dart for less than 30% of what I had into it.
Sure wish I'd kept it because it could have been a killer car to put back on the street.
Live and learn!
Now going through a long-term build on my current '69 Dart.

Automatic vs 5 speed.

Wish I would have put a 5 speed in my car instead of the 727/gear vendors OD unit.

Other than that I can live with it.

Mop

Shaving the door handles on my current car. Going to be three times the work making it right

about the only thing I regret is putting an 8 point cage in my car. I am getting too old and worn out to crawl over that bar getting in and out. and I don't like the swing out bars so I am going to design something that won't weaken the cage

Attachments

• mini-insurance 003.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 423
Drilling holes in an original firewall heater block off plate to mount a remote oil filter. I found another plate so I'm not so mad at myself now.

So far I can't contribute to this thread.
Except one thing, when I change my points out for electronic I wish the two wires that run to the new electronic dizzy was not so close to the factory install 6'' fuel supply that goes to my full pump, I thought it was safe until the car got hit by lightning and melted the fuel line. You can beet I have it loomed up and away from it now :blackeye: and a steel fuel line is know ran to feed my little 390 Holley :happy7:

I need to get a new picture up, she is back on the road doing great now :love4:

Attachments

• 2011 4th 024.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 412
  • 2011 apa Vac. 073.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 421
  • Back to my old 3800 phinpix camera 009.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 418
Was not on an A-body, but my Ford Ranger that I put a 302 in. Butchered the radiator core to get a bigger radiator in it.....

i parted out a really rough 68 barracuda 4 speed car. the travesty was that it was an auto-mex car. i thought it was cool, however it was not looking like i could title it here in california, so i took all the parts i needed off of it. and the good people in ebay land got the rest. this car would have been a great piece to document for historical reasons as i am sure there are folks out the interested in auto-mex stuff. some highlights of the car are: hi-po 318 (4 bbl carter, dual point dist.) .020 overbore and premium fuel stampings on the block. 833 4sp. with an inland shifter. a center console i have never seen before or since. dana rearend(probably a 44). manual everything. ralleye gauges with speedo in kmph. heater delete. foot pump for windshield washer. a few parts made in mexico like the horns, winshield washer resevoir i still have for a souvenier. if i could turn back time(sung in cher's heavenly voice) ....

Fuel cell, due to moving the leaf springs to the frame rails. I hate that fuel cell. 10 gallons does not go far in a street car. I have been throwing this around for many years now to put it back the way it was. At least it is fixable, I am so glad I didn't tub it.

Not having the money to build a Hemi.

Shoulda, coulda put on some bigger brakes to slow things down- still can and will most likely, but I like my manual steering.

I'm with highwaystar....Could have put in a bigger fuel cell but I can still do that and have plenty of room to do it.

get back a few of the cars that i sent to the crusher back in the 80s

Cutting speaker holes in the pristine door panels of my 2 door Valiant. Damn it that was so freaking stupid! At least I can say I did it as a kid! Too bad Im still trying to figure out a cheap fix that looks nice!

I really kick my self for blacking out my grill and head light bezzles

Having an inexperienced machine shop work on my engine (cuz he sounded like he knew what he was doing) and then paying and experienced shop another $500 to redo it. How do you convince someone they don't know what they are doing. At least I admit it. lol

Prolly shaving my door handles... I love the way it looks butI think I might have a hard time selling it b/c of my personal taste.

Big HP is great but because of the constant high temps. here in Florida I really wish I would have kept my stock HP and not constantly worry about cooling it is a real pain. Before I would just hop in the car and drive anywhere. But when I pulled the motor to just clean up the top and lower end (like many of us) I though "oh heck now I'll kick up the HP". :booty:Mistake.

Also selling my '70 'Cuda

Now after discussing all of this I may have to see my therapist Dr. Jack Daniels

I once installed a remote hood release from a 75 model in my 67.
Uninstalled the thing about 2 months later. Seems I'm too old or set in my ways to develop a new routine. I was wearing out my door locks going back in after that release. LOL

Regretting choosing a Mopar 360ci/380hp crate motor for my build. After reading all the threads about what junk they are, I wish I had built the 440 I intended to build. I guess we'll see how the 360 runs.

8/1 update: Took the car for it's maiden voyage. I no longer regret choosing the Mopar 360/380. It's a beast!

Kind of bittersweet story.70 El Camino,396/th400/4.11 out rear.Bought a old Tci bracket converter(10 inch).Ended up stalling five k plus.Put square ports on it,made it worse.Put a two circuit 1050 dominator on it ,actually sweet anywhere to drive.One sat nite,in 2003,went to run the solids.Next to last( 2 exh.)Lash was .300+.I make a phone call,and trade for a real car.Hell, at least my story has a happy ending.

I was thinking the other day about some of the radical alterations we make to our cars in order to make them match the vision in our heads.
Let's hear your stories! What did you do? Why'd you regret it? And did you do anything to "fix" it? Pics are always appreciated.

Back in the 70's I built a 340 and dropped in the Barracuda. Being somewhat stupid I built to the hilt. The static c/r was 12.5 to 1, forged pistons a solid crane cam with about 360 deg overlap..LOL (told u I was Gonzo) 4:56 gears, headers and a set of Road Runner horns?? It ran like crap till about 3800 rpm then it ran a little less crappy. Everything was mismatched. I never built again built like that. I have the sweetest running motor in it now, a 9 to 1 318 with a small cam and 4bbl. There is a 360 waiting to go in this winter. It will be a step up but basically the same layout. Moral of the story, don't let some magazine tell you what to build!

-
Back