What oil are you guys running in your /6?

-

porksoda

Reaction score
Well I am just curious about what oil you guys are running in your /6's?

Brand: (Ex: Valvoline, Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc...)
Grade: (Ex: Conventional, Diesel, Synthetic, etc...)
Weight: (Ex: 10w30, 10w40, 20w50, etc...)

Here is what I recently used with my 66 Dart:

Brand: Castrol GTX
Grade: Conventional
Weight: 10w30

I would just like to see what everyone else is running. I just dont wanna be running the wrong kind/weight of oil in my /6.

Valvoline 10W30 racing oil...and don't ask why, because I can't give you a reasonable answer.

I run conventional 5w30 year round.

Brand depends on the price for me. I go with Valvoline a lot and Mobil when its on sale.

Currently

Castrol
Conventional hd
30hd with comp cams breaking additive

After 1000miles

Redline
Fullsynthetic
0w30

For years I ran Valvoline 10W30. Before that, my father ran Quaker State (almost wrote Steak there :) ) 10W30. I don't remember why he switched, though.

Valvoline VR1 20-50 in the summer and VRI 10-30 in the winter if i want to go to the cold country...

Are all of these cars in this thread in stock form ?
How many are hydraulic lifter and harden seat engines ?

In stock form, my /6 solid lift daily driver get's Rotela.

chocolate syrup, its a slant it dosent even need oil it will run forever

I found out from Asa and Chuck both used Phillips 66 Trop Arctic in Lucille.

I will run whatever the cheapest 10w30 wally world has on sale.....with some zddp additive of course.

Brand name conventional 10W-30.

Has anyone seen any credible evidence that the oils marketed for "high mileage" engines really offer any advantage? They typically sell for a bit more than the "regular" oil.

Has anyone seen any credible evidence that the oils marketed for "high mileage" engines really offer any advantage? They typically sell for a bit more than the "regular" oil.

Well from my experience with oil. I learned that Valvoline High Mileage Oil has microscopic bits of rubber in the oil. I guess so when it gets hot the tiny bits of rubber help seal up seals.

Can't say this is credible evidence, but here is my experience. I started running Valvoline High Mileage in a V-6 Dakota with about 80K on the clock. Before the switch I was having to add a quart at 2500 miles on a 5K change interval. It did not stop the oil use, but it would let the truck go 5K between changes without the need to add a quart. I sold the truck with 150K on it and still not having to add between changes.

My 73 /6 Dart has 290K on the engine. I changed the oil as soon as I got the car, so I have no "regular mileage" oil experience in it. I run 10w-40 Valvoline High Mileage year round. It uses a quart per 3K. As long as compression remains good, I plan to leave the engine alone until oil consumption reaches a quart per 1000. Because I'm not driving as much and for shorter distances, this engine is on a 3000 mile per change interval.

-
Back