What part of the grille do I black out on a 68 B'cuda?

-

MOPARdefiler

Reaction score
Ive got the standard grille. As a kid, I remember seeing one with a blacked-out grille and it looked so sinister that it stuck in my head for 35 years. Due to the deep grille recess, i can see that one wrong move with the spray gun will make it look goofy and amateurish.

So, do the grille surrounds stay silver argent, and the grille itself blacked out? vice versa? the whole thing? not at all? help me out.

Any pics would help.

thanks.

Only the grill is black.Mine's a 67 but you get the idea.

Attachments

• P7110058.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 124
The aluminum outer shells have black on the recessed area. I have only seen two different inserts that I can remember. The most common one is grey and there rare one is grey with chrome on the fins outer edge. I will see if I can find pictures.

This is the outside bezel but the rest of the shell is painted to match on both 1967 and 1968 Barracudas.

$(KGrHqYOKioE32f0YpY0BOHONVPPGg~~_12.JPG

Now that you have the pictures you should do the car what ever way makes you happy. If you want black grille inserts paint them black after all it is your car.

Um,
I have "never" seen chrome on the plastic center section on any 68! My 68 "S" is just Argent on the edges and black along the sides of the plastic fins. 69 is when I seen solid black centers!

Formula S grille.

Has your car been painted?? Mine wears the original qq1 Electric blue. I noticed that your valance is not painted black inside the opening on the two lips that stick up into the area below the bumper.

Attachments

• Turbo Cuda 001.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 87
Um,
I have "never" seen chrome on the plastic center section on any 68! My 68 "S" is just Argent on the edges and black along the sides of the plastic fins. 69 is when I seen solid black centers!

I have only seen two or three cars with the chrome and they were all untouched original Formula-S cars. I have also seen untouched original Formula-S cars without the chrome. I have seen a few of the inserts on eBay with the chrome since I started on eBay in 1999. With Ma Mopar you never know what shows up.

Maybe you could get somebody good at photoslop to work you up a few different ways to see what you like best. Just a thought.

The chrome grill option was only available on the "spring special" 1968 Barracudas. They were part of a sale "package" that also included wire hubcaps, red reflective tape on decklid & sport stripes. Standard grills were grey with the black horizontal bars. Here are a couple pics of black grills & 1 with silver.

Attachments

• '68 BArracuda Sport (Spring) Special.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 75
  • Spring Special barracuda.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 68 black grills.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 68 red notchback.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 74
  • '68 Grille.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 73
-