What rear springs to run?

-
It's not always about ride height, but how the suspension feels, and if the springs are original they should be replaced after being bounced on for 40 years. You can end up with a height the same as you have now but with a better ride.

You can get the car about 1" lower if the new springs are too high by flipping your front hanger mounts over and re-drilling the mount holes.

I always like a softer spring and a firmer shock, so I like the ones w/ 5 leafs, but you could try a 6 leaf set and then remove one if you feel it's too stiff.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/71-74dodge.html

Adriver is giving you good solid advice. Everything he wrote.

Figure out exactly what is hitting ie "bottoming out" and why.
Could it be the shocks? a spring broken?

If you want the same ride hieght, you need the
weight of the car on the rear axle,
the existing spring rate
the free arch.

If you buy from ESPO, you get a generic spring and you may or may not get the same ride height. If you look in a parts book there were roughly a dozen different spring packs - each with their own p/n - just for a-bodies.

Autocrossers and road racers do not use SS springs unless they are dearched. This is what was done for the green brick for example. Beckman can get away with using them for ralley because of the huge amount of weight they carry in the fuel etc. Also the car needs to sit high all around for ground clearence. Flat springs is generally preferable for handling.
For drag racing with slicks, the SS springs can help provide a great launch if you use them with a loaded snubber.

I realize its been a few months since I've posted anything on this thread. After some looking around I finally got my hands on a 8.75 rear end and a set of 3:55 gears. In addition I ended up ordering "stock" ride height springs, shackles, ujoints and poly rubber grommets all from Espo. After installing everything and lowering the car off the jacks I'm happy to say the car sits almost exactly where it sat before. I'm now waiting on my driveshaft to get cut and re-balanced. Should be back on the road soon!

-
Back